• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

red meat, bread and rice... can you have them?

Hi guys, Im getting my band in 4 weeks.

Ive heard on alot of websites that it can be difficult to eat red meat, bread and rice.... but then ive heard other people say that they eat a normal diet just less of it. what are your experiences??

I can eat everything but not much of it. Red meat is fine sliced very thinly or minced/braised, but i would struggle to eat more than a teeny hit of a rare grilled steak. Bread goes down best as toast or a wrap, rather than the plain sliced stuff, which is too stodgy most of the time. Rice and pasta, likewise are fine, but only a couple of spoonfuls at a meal. Time wise, you must follow your providers guidance, as they are all different but I didn't eat those types of foods till at least 3 months after my band was fitted :)

I'm a bypasser, I can eat red meat, bread if its toasted well but not rice. I'm only 9 weeks out, so I'm going to give rice another go in a few weeks time :)

Paula Lewis said:
I'm a bypasser, I can eat red meat, bread if its toasted well but not rice. I'm only 9 weeks out, so I'm going to give rice another go in a few weeks time :)

I am 5wk post op and struggle with rice I discovered tonight! Super noodles are great though! Bread I have not tried.

I 'm a sleeved can't do any of that even 8 months pot surgey. Don't miss them though!

I'm sleeved and I can eat them all but only a little. When I had my band I couldn't eat any of them, but I had loads of problems with my band so I could have been an abnormality! lol :)

Bellydancer57 said:
I 'm a sleeved can't do any of that even 8 months pot surgey. Don't miss them though!

My Mum is three years post bypass and can't tolerate bread!

I'm 14 weeks post band op tomorrow. I can eat all of those things and there aren't any foods on the "no" list from my provider. I just however personally choose not to eat some of them due to the carb content and the fact that I eat a higher protein based diet to help the weight loss.

top_kat said:
I'm 14 weeks post band op tomorrow. I can eat all of those things and there aren't any foods on the "no" list from my provider. I just however personally choose not to eat some of them due to the carb content and the fact that I eat a higher protein based diet to help the weight loss.

Yes, there is a big difference between the bypass and band limitations.

Yes, there is a big difference between the bypass and band limitations.

indeed . . .and the OP is due to have a band which is why I said that as a bander I am able to, but choose not to :D

thanks everyone, i know it wont be straight away but its good to know that some of you can eat these things even if you choose not too... would rather be able to have them and not eat them than told i cant... although i know some people cant.

They are all a no for me, sadly. But I´d rather be a normal weight than be able to eat them, so I don´t miss them (yet)

Hello there

I Have no trouble with read meat albeit I cant eat a lot of it (do know some banders that do though have trouble and cannot eat red/white meat at all) with regards to pasta/rice & bread etc some providers tell their patients not to eat these foods as they do cause problems especially with rice and pasta they are known to swell in the pouch and can cause it to stretch over time, even if your provider states these food you can have it will be very limited 1 - 2 tablespoons max. Ask your provider and they will provide you with the information they expect you to follow - wishing you all the best BD X

The weird thing is pre op I was afraid of the things I might not be able to eat & missing them. Wow post op never think about them, never want them, never miss them. I was such a breadaholic now never even want to eat it.

I'm not a big bread eater but I'm 10 days post op and I had a slice today in my soup very very small pieces though not door wedges. I make sure it was all plumped up before I attempted to eat it

mollythedogsmum said:
I'm not a big bread eater but I'm 10 days post op and I had a slice today in my soup very very small pieces though not door wedges. I make sure it was all plumped up before I attempted to eat it

That is great news!! :)

I'm just over 3 months post op now and I struggle with all three so I stick to quorn meat mostly, I can manage about 2 teaspoons of rice and a few tiny nibbles of bread. I am finding though that my tastes have changed a lot and I really enjoy my fruit and veg now.

Evenstarr said:
I'm just over 3 months post op now and I struggle with all three so I stick to quorn meat mostly, I can manage about 2 teaspoons of rice and a few tiny nibbles of bread. I am finding though that my tastes have changed a lot and I really enjoy my fruit and veg now.

Me too! It is quite incredible. Quorn is great, I am a veggie and it is much better :)

I can manage small amounts but that's it. Bread wise imagine that a crumpet makes you full...god I used to eat 3 in one go! I prefer to buy Danish now as lighter but bizarrely I never make a sandwich yet again lived on them before...always best as toast. I'm ok with rice yet again never have pasta but only because I try avoiding carbs anyway through choice!

Hi

I am a bypasser so my experience is probably no good to a bander but just in case a bypasser finds this thread and wonders.

I am now 8 months post op and can only eat red meat if its been done in the slow cooker, so its super soft. I wouldn't even think about roast meat or a bit of steak, Bread I am ok with but it either has to be toasted or have beans on. It's odd that I can eat a burger but not the bread. Rice I have no issues with either savory or in a pudding.

But one thing to note is that everyone is different and you might find you are fine with everything or you might find that certain food groups are now a no no. This is why quite a high number of WLS patients eventually turn vegetarian.

Paul

Back