• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Referal Before PCT Funding Agreed

SarahF

Hello,
I am new on here but have been hooked reading so many of the threads, so many people helped and happy.
I have been going back and forth to my GP for maybe 4 years now, been prescribed Xenicol etc, but finally today she said she was going to refer me for weight loss surgery, GREAT NEWS :).
I am 44yrs old, 5'4" and 17st 8lb with a BMI of 41.64.
Needless to say I am now extremely anxious about if the surgeon will accept me or even if my local PCT will fund it.
The doctor said to me that she will refer me first as sometimes the funding can cause a delay. I live in Orpington so under Bromley PCT anybody else had any experience of this?
Any help advice etc gratefully received.
I know I have a long long journey ahead of me, right now as I say my key worries are a) being accepted for surgery, b) receiving funding.

Sarah

:)

Hello, Im new here also and im in the same position as you. I am no help at all about funding and such but I went for an in depth chat with my doctor again today, he is more than happy to refer me and I have a strong case for it, however he explained that if he referred me right now they would refuse me until i have followed a weight management programme for a few months, consisting of dieticians, xenical and seeng a shrink! I have been too and fro for years also trying all sorts. I am happy to try anything and give it my best shot. My GP is great and said when referring me he after the weight management he will make a strong supporting case for me, so now im on the road im happy. They need to see your committed as its a massive life changing thing. Good Luck on your journey and i hopefully will see how you get on...

From my experience it is the funding that will cause the delay, until that is in place I doubt much will happen. Best to be as proactive as possible get your GP to make the referral and then find out if you meet the criteria, also as soon as you can get your funding application in and chase on a regular basis.

BigDave

Hiya can she not apply for funding first, nothing in stone will happen until you get this, and don't mean to sound negative but if you do go for appointments and your funding is declined it will be hard for you hun. Just trying to help hun. x

It differs from area to area. I had to complete 1 year on a weight management programme and this was the first stage of funding. I actually needed funding from the PCT to go on the programme. Then at the end after trying Orlistat and physio etc.. they agreed to apply for funding for surgery. The whole process has taken 3 years. The best advice I can give is stick at it and chase them up at every point. I have been lost in the system so many times on this journey.

Good Luck x

Hi

I seem to be having a realtively 'pain free' process so have no advice but wanted to say welcome xx

Just to clarify - I have been prescribed orlistat xenicol on two seperate occassions in the last 4years for several months at a time, however unfortunately didnt suit me. I have also tried other weight loss methods, and although intially I may lose weight, I tend it regain it plus some extra lb's. I like lots of others have problems relating to my weight, my knees and ankles feel the strain, I get breathless walking up the stairs, I am asthmatic, the pressure on my bladder causes a big nightmare, the list goes on and on.....
So I went to my GP today after another failed attempted with Orlistat, she agreed to refer me...... BUT.... she said she has found that applying for funding first can be time consuming, so to write to the surgeon first.... needless to say all i heard was that she was refering me... my brain wasnt in gear enough to ask the questions such as shouldnt we apply for funding first... so now I am sat at home some 12 hours later absolutely pooping my pants, s'posing the surgeon says yh and then PCT says no.... arghhhh my brain is frazzled...
thanks for listening...
S xx

Hi Sarah, such a hard one, but just see what happens, I would think she should apply for funding as not much can happen without, can you not go and see another doctor that would be abit more helpful x

Firstly check and see if you fit the requirements for surgery in your area,they are really tightening up now and moving the goalposts all the time,Lots of areas say bmi of 50+ with comorbidities it used to be 40+ and comorbs.The comorbs are usually diabetes,sleep apneoa,high bp/cholesterol etc.general weight related health problems such as joint pain,back pain,snoring and breathlessness dont count.Many are being refused funding so check your pct requirements first,if you meet that do 12 months weight management,see a dietician and psych,have sleep test then your doc will apply for funding,when its been to panel you get a desicion one way or the other.Best of luck.Maz x

Morning People :) hope you are all well and enjoying the sunshine.
Well I received a letter this morning to see Dr El-Hasani on the 11 July so under two weeks away, at Princess Royal University Hospital..... so this could either be an extremely short journey with a refusual just around the corner or the start or a long journey full of excitement, frustration and nerves.... I am so nervous already, just got to remember he isnt best known for his bedside manner :) xxx

Hi Sarah

Good luck on the 11th. I've got my first appointment with my consultant that day too so I'll be mentally hanging on to your hand!!

Hopefully we'll be able to share good news later that day xx

Sue, dont know about you but I am so nervous.... :) as I am sure you have read my GP have only refered me not applied for funding... arghhhhh
But yes in spirit I will be holding your hand :)
Big Hugs xxxx

Welcome and so glad your onboard. No matter how long it takes hang in there. It does depend on your PCT and you will already noticed the differnet times people wait. I have just been told i have funding after 12 months x good luck

I had my appt this morning @ 9:30 unfortunately I got a refusual..... Dr El-Hasani said in the past he has helped so many people like me but unfortunately the NHS have changed their critiria and he wouldnt be able to help me. :( deverstated

two words "GOING PRIVATE" :D yippie yay whoopwhoop :) xxxxxxxxx

The best thing I did was to go private, am 2 weeks out on tuesday n worth every penny. What wls u going for xxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back