• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie in Norfolk. Advice needed.

stripeytop

So after reading this forum for a few weeks I plucked up the courage & saw GP on Wednesday to ask for a referal for a gastric band.
Norfolk doesn't follow the NICE guidelines. My bmi is over 40 but I don't meet the other requirements which are sleep aponea (?) and/or type 2 diabetes.
My GP agreed to refer me but I was wondering if anyone else from Norfolk had managed to get funding without meeting all the criteria?
Also what happens next and how long before anything else happens?

:sign0163: ................. O.K then I will start it off, anyway as a short cut its usualy: referal from your G.P, funding, waiting list, pre-op diet, surgery. or something like that anyway, depending where your PCT area is does depend on how long you wait unfortunatly. Hope this helps Gail.x P.S Oh and :welcome:to the mini site you will lovvvvvvvvvvvveee it:p

Well thanks for the replies. My next question would be which hospital would I be referred to? And if you have gone private, did you do it abroad? Sorry for all the questions. Have just made up my mind & need to do this.

Don't worry about the questions Stripeytop that's why we are here so ask away. I travelled from Glasgow to Manchester for my bypass and that was to get the wonderful Mr Basil Ammori as my surgeon. If you go privately the timescales are very short and you are very much in control x

Thanks for the replies & welcomes. Think I'm going to spend more time reading through. Not feeling very patient at the mo and think that I might need to be.

So after reading this forum for a few weeks I plucked up the courage & saw GP on Wednesday to ask for a referal for a gastric band.
Norfolk doesn't follow the NICE guidelines. My bmi is over 40 but I don't meet the other requirements which are sleep aponea (?) and/or type 2 diabetes.
My GP agreed to refer me but I was wondering if anyone else from Norfolk had managed to get funding without meeting all the criteria?

Hi, Welcome to minis.
Good luck with your journey x

Hiya, I'm using my boyfriends account as ive forgotten my log in details but thought i would reply, im also in norfolk and have been told the same thing. My GP has said there is no way i would get funding as i'm too young (21) and not fat enough! (BMI 43) strange.... he wouldnt even refer me :'(

Hi I cant help you with WLS but I did get a TT on nhs at the Norfolk & Norwich with relative ease. I am assuming you have cheked our PCT's requirement on NHS as some doctors seem to not want to refer you.

I am assuming you have cheked our PCT's requirement on NHS as some doctors seem to not want to refer you.

My doctor checked them with me and was really helpful. Agreed to refer me even though i don't meet all the criteria.

PS i don't know where the thanks button is.

My doctor checked them with me and was really helpful. Agreed to refer me even though i don't meet all the criteria.

PS i don't know where the thanks button is.

Must be something about Norfolk doctors; mine was awesome when I went for tt.

Good luck with the PCT and keep us up to date.

PS the thanks button is only available (along with other facilities) after you have made 50 posts. :)

Hi and welcome, I am also Norfolk, as I understand it you would be referred to Luton and Dunstable, it's a bit of a journey, I believe you are eligible having a BMI of 40, mine was 35 but I also have diabetes, assessment is 1 year and I have just been told that surgery will be "up to a year" following assessment year. At your first appointment you will be given a food diary to fill in, at he second they will arrange a start date for initial milk diet which is 28 days old 4 pints S/S milk a day, 2 x OXO/bovril drinks, 3 sugar free jelly pots or 1 sachet of no added sugar jelly, unlimited zero calories fluids and 2 sugar free chewing gums, this is to prove commitment, check your body can tolerate high protein diet and assist you in losing 5% of your body weight which you have to do to continue the assessment. I lost 8 or 9 kg in my month. Have a look round wls forum there is loads of advice and everyone is really supportive. Look forward to reading your updates

Sorry stripeytop I've just replied at the bottom of page and then read that your going private so my reply is totally irrelevant..... still welcome you though

Oh no I've also just seen the date of your post....Doh

@Bling Babe this post is from 2009....

And the posters haven't been on the forum for a long time!

Just to let you know

@Bling Babe this post is from 2009....

And the posters haven't been on the forum for a long time!

Just to let you know
Thanks Hannah..... I realised that just after I replay..... honestly what a numbty!

Back