• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Reflux Before and After Bypass

femfrankie

Shrinking For Sophie
As many will know I have not had the bypass yet but do have the balloon until i get my BMI down. I have a hiatus hernia and have suffered from GORD/reflux for over 10yrs. This was managable pre balloon infact i rarely suffered with it as long as i continued cpaping and taking the meds (Oomperazole). Post balloon it has been a different kettle of fish. I have had several episodes that have lasted for several days and it is continuous no matter if i am completely upright or lying down. Raised the bed head but it makes no difference. I actually inhaled stomach contents last night which is not a good thing but think I managed to cough it all back up after an hour of hacking:eek: .. sorry. Should add that i am on Lansoprazole now and it has helped a little.
My question is ... Is this destined to go on after i have the bypass or is it likely to get worse rather than better? Interested in hearing from those that have suffered reflux prior to surgery and their experiance of it after.

Thanks Frances

I had reflux constantly pre-op, haven't had it once since. Hope yours is the same!

Thank you Cath. Thats a relief to hear. Fingers crossed that i am the same x

The bypass cures GERD in 68% of cases and reduces symptoms significantly in most others. :)

Hi I had mild symptoms and had a hernia, they didn't repair my hernia however I have had zero symptoms since being done x

Thank you everyone.... I am feeling so much better about the op now. Thanks xxx

I no longer have reflux. I used to wake in the night with my mouth filled with acid and often inhale it too, I've not had that happen once since the surgery. I do still have a bit of a sensitive stomach in the mornings no proper reflux. Keep on the lansoprazole after the op, my doctor actually upped mine to protect my pouch as much as possible.

Back