• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Reflux on pre op... Aaarrggghhhh

femfrankie

Shrinking For Sophie
Not had the balloon removed yet and have had a problem with reflux since day one whilst its been in place. I was advised 2 months ago to up my Lansoprazole 30mg to 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. This helped a lot but now that I am on day two of pre op it has returned with vengeance. I get the balloon out on Tuesday and fingers crossed this puts an end to it once and for all but I have to get there first and not sure I will be able to suffer it till then it is that bad. The pre op diet itself is ok and i am managing fine. I'm allowed milk, porridge weetabix, bovril, fruit juices, certain soups, milk puddings but have to keep my intake to 800cals or under. I think the problem is that my stomach has nothing physical to work with so its awash with stomach acid... So much so I don't feel like eating at all :( Sorry for sounding pathetic but has anyone got any suggestions?..

TMI but I feel much better now

TMI Warning...
Well that will teach me.... Feeling so much better now after I have literally threw up big style. The culprit was my much desired fish supper that my dietician allowed me to have on the night before starting preop, Wednesday. I should have learnt from my early balloon days that for some reason my stomach holds onto certain foods for a few days and then I will throw up... Not a pleasant experience I can tell you but god do I feel better now..
So on with the preop :)

Bless you hun. I suffer from acid a few nights a week. Started my pre op on Monday and it was terrible for the first couple of days but I used ranitidine to sort mine. Glad you feel better xx

Thanks Mazza its been so much better since Tuesday when I got the balloon out. I still get little acid burps now and again but I know this is from the preop liquid diet but its nowhere near a bad as it was previously. I'm still in ketosis and so desperate to sook on a sweetie as the taste in my mouth is so eeuuuch ... Don't worry I won't but the desire is strong lol

How are you getting on with your pre op hun?

Pre op is good darling, it's the start of our new lives :)
So how much did you start off as then hun? Don't envy you with the balloon :( but its all a means to an end. Can't wait to be a normal weight!! Xxx

I was 384lbs (27st 7lbs) & I'm now 266lbs (19st). 66 of those pounds were with the balloon. Can't rave about the balloon as my experience wasn't fantastic but as you say needs must and it served its means. The six months seemed so far away at first but in all honestly it just flew in. Now it's onto the really exciting bit whhoo hooo!!

Wow you've done so well! I was about 29stone when I started the pre op on Monday - so I certainly know where you're coming from. Did your provider insist on the balloon then before the bypass?

Yes unfortuntly because of health issues and risks they wouldn't do the op until my BMI which was 68 then was a much safer 50.. One couldn't argue lol

No bless you. You've done amazingly well though well done!
P.s another day done :)

Thank you :D

Last night was so hard to get through but I did it. Started yesterday morning when hubby bought a bloomer loaf. Just the smell of it was all it took.. I love freshly cooked bread:sigh:. He did me the courtesy of hiding the thing but it was enough to trigger a major carb longing and an overwhelming desire to just "eat something "... Saturday has always been our treat night so I don't know if that made it all the harder. Everybody had their usual fish supper while I sat with my tomato soup. It's not like this is something new as I have not had a supper since December 12 (not counting my "last meal" fish tea two weeks ago). I did enjoy my soup though as I've not been able to have tom soup since the balloon but there is nothing more mouth watering to me than the smell of a fish supper :rolleyes:.... Major gripe is family who push food at you.. Are you sure you don't want a piece of my scone?.... Mother in law OR and more annoyingly my hubby who should know better when he offered me a square of chocolate!!:mad:.. I think this is partly down to them feeling guilty about eating around you but to me it felt as cruel as someone offering drugs to an addict! I did have words with hubby later about this and other things regards food. It's always been down to me what he has for meals but because I am not eating them I make a point of asking him now. Tescos was a nightmare yesterday as he was totally lost about making any decisions on meals aaaarrrgghh. There is no doubt about it this is a big learning curve for both of us

I'm really lucky as live with my best friend and he has adopted healthy eating in a massive way this week and whenever we're both feeling weak he's going to the gym instead so we don't say the dreaded words and end up at harvester or something lol.
How you getting on?

I can't believe I have done a whole week of this and feel great! Only 4 more weeks to go! This time in 4 wks I'll be sat having palpitations lol!!!!

Just been looking at this link....interesting!

Xxhttp://www.obesitycoverage.com/weight-loss-surgeries/gastric-bypass/how-much-can-i-expect-to-lose

Thx for the link mazza! It was very interesting.

Thanks for the link Mazza .. that is roughly about the target my surgeon reckons on.. im gambling on a bittyy more :D. Not going to berate myself if I dont though. Doing this for my health as apposed to being skinny ..im too long in the tooth now to worry about those things hehehe
I am amazed at how quickly my days are flying in only 3 days to go now. Just back in from my pre op examination so I suppose this is it and I feel oddly calm now. The liquid pre op has been a breeze really. I think what has helped me is the fact that for 6 months eating was pretty tastless whereas now im getting flavours again and its quite a yummy change!!

Apparently I'm at 70% :D

Back