• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Reflux

Sarahmaria

So I hear one of the most common complications of sleeves is reflux?Has anyone suffered with this and would be willing to share their experience?

Thanks ,
Sarah xxxx

Hi sarah...my experience...
I have never suffered heart burn or acid, ever...after the op I was given the standard anti acid tabs that everyone gets. I took these for about 8 weeks I think it was, until my consultant appointment, and he said to stop them. In this first two months I did get what I felt was acid, it was a burning in my chest that I havent had before. Since stopping the tabs ive had no issues at all, no acid not burning, and im 5 months post op now.

So thats my experience, i didnt have it before and luckily I dont have it now.

Im sure others will have their own experiences to share...

Thanks kar. Another bit of reassurance. I feel i need a constant stream of it lol

Xx

Hi Sarah, I'm only 4 months post op. I stopped taking Omeprazole (anti acid) at Christmas and have had no signs of reflux. I can eat spicey foods and get no acid whatsoever.

I think that yes, some people get reflux post op, but I think this happens with all the main Bariatric ops. It's like when you get prescribed medication and you read the side effect list. If you thought you'd get all of those effects, you'd never take the medication. With all surgeries and medications, you get given the worst case scenario, and even if one person suffered with a symptom it gets reported.

When I met my surgeon he told me all the bad things that can happen first, and saved the best things until last.

Sorry for waffling. In summary, I don't get reflux but I do get comedy bubbles and hiccups! Lol

I had a course of omeprazole from the gp in november/ december last year as I was getting a nausea feeling and a little acid reflux. I had my op at the beginning of october., I finnished that course and was still getting the odd acid feeling, I spoke to my consultant, who said that some people that have had sleeve gastrectomy's can get reflux intermitently, he was happpy for me to get the gp to give me another course of omeprazole.Everyone is different and reacts to surgery in different ways

Back