• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Mixed feelings after meeting with surgeon...

Caren I am part of an all adult family me and bro share our house and are carers for our "not so Wicked" stepma There are significant others who are too accepting and understanding lol x
aww bless ya, thats good :) xxx

That's good to hear Phil, thanks.

I think you're right Caren but it's interesting to hear TurtleGal that a sleever is suffering so badly.

To be honest I'd rather not experience dumping (obviously) but that isn't my main concern. While I FULLY understand the surgeon's reasons for suggesting a bypass rather than a sleeve (that my reflux may get worse) I'm not worried about that. Although I take medication for reflux, I haven't suffered any pain in ages so I don't think my reflux is something to base my decision on. I feel my decision should be based on which is the best surgery for weight loss and as I am a bulk eater I feel a sleeve is best suited to my needs. Hopefully the endoscopy will go well and the surgeon will agree?!?

Newcy,

I'm a pre-op sleever and have full on reflux - am on lansoprazole daily and still drink gaviscon advance like it's going out of fashion!

As part of my pre-op process I had a barium swallow which showed a hiatus hernia and moderate/severe reflux into my chest! As a result they're going to tepair it as part of my surgery.

I guess it is down to what your surgeon prefers as well as what is appropriate to your eating habits!

Tatiana

newcy said:
Thanks Caren.

I'm exactly the same Greyputy so that's good to hear you got through it ok. Do you know the results yet as to whether or not they'll let you have a sleeve? x

Hi Newcy. I rang the hospital on Friday to tell them I didn't want a sleeve. The secretary said it was upto the surgeon and they would let me know. I called again yesterday and she said he is happy to do sleeve and gave me a date of 20th November. All in all from my original Doctors appointment I have only waited approx 14 month. Very quick by some standards :)

Last edited:
greyputy said:
Hi Newcy. I rang the hospital on Friday to tell them I didn't want a sleeve. The secretary said it was upto the surgeon and they would let me know. I called gain yesterday and she said he is happy to do sleeve and gave me a date of 20th November. All in all from my original Doctors appointment I have only waited approx 14 month. Very quick by some standards :)

Meant to say didn't want 'bypass' lol. Definitely want sleeve :)

Last edited:
Thanks Tatiana, that's really helpful!!!

I've taken note and will discuss it with my surgeon if he still wants me to have a bypass for the reflux. xxx

Wow greyputy - that is super fast! I'm so pleased for you, especially as he is willing to do a sleeve. That's good to know for when I go in for my endoscopy!

I've spent so long worrying that the surgery was going to take forever but now I'm scared it may happen to fast! I've only just gone back to work recently but its only temporary so I was hoping the surgery would fit in nicely - at your rate I may even have to finish work early. What a pity that would be.... x

The thing with reflux is it can erode the lower part of the esophogus(sp)and cancers can occur.It was on Food Hospital last night.Dont worry about the bypass,only 50% dump(I dont)You can eat enough to maintain your nutrients plus the supplements 1 multi vitamin and two calcium per day.I have never felt so well.Can eat everything just small portions!Maz x

Thanks Maz, I was watching that too and have to admit it made me think. That's great to hear you don't dump at all - I hadn't realised it was as low as 50%. That's quite reassuring - I'll guess I'll just see what the surgeon has to say after the endoscopy. Thank you x

Greyputy pretty much covered it really - dumping etc but also I have thyroid disease and low iron levels so I'm a bit concerned about whether the malabsorption will mean my hormones and folic acid tablets won't work properly? Then my symptoms, low energy and mood etc would come back. Also my issue is more about portion size rather than what I eat.

That's interesting to hear Nuala, I don't really see my reflux as a problem as I'm on very low level medication and haven't suffered any pain in ages but wouldn't want it to return either.

Funny how it works Snooky, on the one hand I think I should just trust their educated opinion but at the same time my instincts are telling me to have a Sleeve... Hmmm what to do?!?

I have very low iron so because of that I start iron injections today for the next ten days just in hope to get my levels to 10 so I can have my RNY. They are good at treating iron deficiency after the op I have been assured. They said RNY was best for me as I have reflux also. I was torn between the RNY and sleeve but talking trough everything I went with the RNY.
The best thing I was told was look long term what is best for you and your lifestyle.
Good luck with what every op you go for.

Thanks Witchingmoon, I think the sleeve is best for my eating habits but I'm going to see what they say after endo. If they find something then I'll do what they think best - fingers crossed the endo will be clear... X

Back