• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Mixed feelings after meeting with surgeon...

newcy

Hi everyone, I haven't been on here for ages but met with the surgeon today and thought it was a good time to catch up!

The good news is that I achieved the 1kg weight loss target - only just even though I'd actually lost 4kg up until last week. However, we then had 2 parties for the mother in law's 60th birthday and another for our nephew's 18th so put 3kg back on - the usual old story. Thankfully the scale was kind and the surgeon was pleased so I thought 'great I'm on the waiting list'. :8855:

Errhm not so fast.. :confused: apparently because I take medication for reflux he thinks the sleeve is a bad idea and I should have a bypass. I desperately want a sleeve so I have to have an endoscopy to see if the reflux has caused any damage then we can discuss it further. I can't tell you how much I don't want the endo - I have a very sensitive gagging reflex and just the thought of it makes me feel ill!

However, I think if the endo is fine then I can insist on a sleeve and so long as he agrees then we're in business. But what do I do if he says its a bypass or nothing? If I don't have surgery then I'll be fat or even fatter for the rest of my life - I have been for the last 20 years. But I really don't want a bypass...:(

Also, has anyone who has had a sleeve suffered from reflux either before, after or both? I'd love some feedback, thanks xxx

oh god newcy what an awful position to be in :( good luck :) xxx

I am in a similar boat. I too was told bypass but want sleeve.

I got the endo recently and honestly it wasn't so bad. Not the best but it didnt last long. They numb your throat with a spray then just close your eyes and breathe deeply. Think of something nice to take your mind off it. You only feel odd sensation in your stomach. I am usually terrible with gagging as well even when brushing my teeth.

Thanks Caren.

I'm exactly the same Greyputy so that's good to hear you got through it ok. Do you know the results yet as to whether or not they'll let you have a sleeve? x

Hi

I think you can ask for sedation rather than the spray, this may help the gag reflex more?

Good luck I hope you get the outcome you want xx

At my endoscopy the surgeon tried to talk me into bypass. Telling me that the sleeve had risks of leaks and stretching but he said I didnt have to decide straight away. I could think about it more while on the list. I have been meaning to the hospital since last week but been really busy at new job. (or making excuses case I hear something I don't want to lol)

I get the impression they will if I insist. I must admit I struggled to understand everything as my surgeon has a strong accent :( I didn't like to ask him to keep repeating everything

i too had mr balpuri 4 my endoscope and had to ask him to repeat himself a couple of times which put me off asking further questions. i think he personally favours bypass as he also advised me to go for bypass when i was undecided. as for the endoscope i would suggest if you are that anxious about it you should ask to be sedated. i had the throat spray and must admit it was very unpleasant but overwith very quickly, the nurses are really lovely and talk you through the process to try and distract you and help you relax.
hope all goes well for you hun
x

Thanks Kate and Maryann - I think sedation might be the way to go.

Ring the hospital tomorrow greyputy - I always put things off if I think I might not like what I hear! I hope they let you pick what you want but its good to know you've had a similar experience. I get the impression that bypass is more of a guaranteed success with few patients returning but with the sleeve there is more chance of us regaining the weight in the future!?!

Thanks Lea - I appreciate your honesty. I suppose its like child birth; unpleasant but over quickly (hopefully!) I remember thinking I wouldn't survive that but went on to do it a second time so it can't have been that bad. Yeah right! I suppose I just have to take the same view 'the final outcome is worth that bit of discomfort'.

Xxx

Any reason why u don't want a bypass??? I was told if they cudnt bypass me I'd b sleeved, but the dr said although am fat iv loads room inside me so was bypassed lol.

I would take all the drugs going before they wud even get near me with a camera xx

Haylz6 said:
Any reason why u don't want a bypass??? I was told if they cudnt bypass me I'd b sleeved, but the dr said although am fat iv loads room inside me so was bypassed lol.

I would take all the drugs going before they wud even get near me with a camera xx

It's all the negatives. Malabsorption, dumping, possible hair loss. The major thing for me is the re routing of my small intestine. My Dad died of bowel cancer a few year ago. This is what started me eating healthily and not eating junk. My eating habits have changed drastically. Now I just maintain cos still eat bigger portions. I know the sleeve would be good for me as I want to get nutrients from my food as naturally as possible not taking pills. This is very important to me :)

I have reflux and had the band without understanding the impact on the reflux. I have had a horrible time of it and still struggle with walking due to how much it has exacerbated my asthma.

I have funding for a revision - and I too wanted a sleeve for all the reasons you suggest - however, Mr Ammori was very clear that I would have exactly the same issues I have with the band with the sleeve - and I really don't want to go there again. If I decide to go ahead now I will have the bypass.

Edited to say that some people have had the hair loss with the sleeve and also some have experienced dumping.

Strange how it all works isn't. I had my appointment with consultant on Monday and I was advised of sleeve but I want bypass, because of the possibility of all problems like leaking etc.
Different strokes and all that.

Greyputy pretty much covered it really - dumping etc but also I have thyroid disease and low iron levels so I'm a bit concerned about whether the malabsorption will mean my hormones and folic acid tablets won't work properly? Then my symptoms, low energy and mood etc would come back. Also my issue is more about portion size rather than what I eat.

That's interesting to hear Nuala, I don't really see my reflux as a problem as I'm on very low level medication and haven't suffered any pain in ages but wouldn't want it to return either.

Funny how it works Snooky, on the one hand I think I should just trust their educated opinion but at the same time my instincts are telling me to have a Sleeve... Hmmm what to do?!?

with a sleeve a posible side effect is acid reflux as can happen with a band this is why he will be recomending a bypass because you already suffer these symptoms and it could be made worse with a sleeve x

Oh liz above beat me to it lol

I am over the moon with my bypass despite it being a rough journey. My as they say on here "Non Scale Victories" just reinforced why I had the bypass that is almost immediate end to taking boat loads of meds for high BP and diabetes and cholesterol. I now only take the vits and supplements associated with the bypass and love them and love life. It is horses for courses and my experience with Sunderland is that you their patient is in charge.

Oh liz above beat me to it lol

I am over the moon with my bypass despite it being a rough journey. My as they say on here "Non Scale Victories" just reinforced why I had the bypass that is almost immediate end to taking boat loads of meds for high BP and diabetes and cholesterol. I now only take the vits and supplements associated with the bypass and love them and love life. It is horses for courses and my experience with Sunderland is that you their patient is in charge.
are you doing this alone phil, or do you have a partner?

I'm pre-op and also trying to decide what surgery I want (bypass vs sleeve) and I have friends who have had both. One of the reasons I was leaning towards the sleeve over bypass (even though it feels so final to me to have a part of my body actually removed forever, with the sleeve) was the dumping issue. I know from reading different forums that the hair loss (which I also dread) is also likely with the sleeve.

Anyway, I have a good friend who had the sleeve surgery on Oct 19th and she is currently experiencing dumping pretty badly. She's had the big D. for almost four days in a row. :/ She said she feels like she has had the stomach flu all week. She called her surgeon and he said that she was experiencing dumping and gave her some tips on changing what she is eating.

She was also under the impression that dumping doesn't happen with the sleeve, but apparently it does.

im pretty sure that dumping only occurs in 30% of ops? im sure i'll be corrected soon lol

are you doing this alone phil, or do you have a partner?

Caren I am part of an all adult family me and bro share our house and are carers for our "not so Wicked" stepma There are significant others who are too accepting and understanding lol x

Back