• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Refused op because of high blood pressure?

lalole

Jax
Hi all, i am booked to have my band on September 21st. When i had my consultation she said my blood pressure was abit high. the 2nd number was 98, she said if on the day it is more than 100 i will not be allowed to have the surgery. It is really worrying me. Has anybody else had this problem or know of anyone refused?

los in it

Have said how you can reduce your blood pressure?

Kar8858

Mine was always around 150/100 which is quite high but nothing amazing, it should be 120/80. Mine is now around 111/77 after my weight loss. I was never treated for high blood pressure so it can't have been that bad, mine was work stress related too. Good luck

Bonita S

Just make sure it's not white coat syndrome (that's common). Wait for a little while then get them to take it again. If it's still high go see your GP and get it treated. There are drugs you can take to get it down.

It might be worth investing in a monitor so that you can check it at home too (best way to see if it is white coat syndrome). they are not expensive, if you do check your own at home keep a record of the readings, do it at the same time each day, do it twice and record the second reading.

I'm sure it will be ok.

lalole

Jax
Thanks all for the replies, what is white coat syndrome? She did take it a second time and said it had gone down and not to worry about it, but I would hate to get there and I'm turned away because of blood pressure. I went to boots to check it but ours doesn't have one of them machines. When I went for my pill I was told it's not too bad just keep an eye on it. I'm just panicking incase it's high on the day x

lalole

Jax
Oh yeah that is definitely me, when I was younger and went to the doctor for my pill, my blood pressure was always high, then he figured out he had to kind of calm me down and let me relax before he took it and it was always fine then, I have a slight phobia of doctors lol avoid at all costs of I can. Thanks for putting a name to it xx

Just Jayne

one of the co morbidities for weight loss surgery is High Blood pressure so i am sure if it needs treating which can be with tablets, you should be fine to continue your journey.I was referred for the same reason.Being over weight can be a contributary factor.
My own BP nurse always takes mine 3 times to get an accurate reading.