• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

High blood pressure`

Lisav

I've just updated my diary with the information that I've had a call from the hospital that is due to do my gastric band next week, regarding my blood pressure.

I have white coat syndrome and get extremely anxious and stressed prior to and during appointments at the hospital or doctors. Yesterday even though I explained this, my blood pressure was at 179/113 - i had a rash across my chest, my heart was racing and I was visibly stressed. I told the nurse everything and she said she'd speak to the anaesthetist and get back to me.

This is the call I've had today - they want me put on tablets immediately, and a 24 hour monitor. I couldnt get an appointment at the doctors, but they told me to turn up and just wait to see a doctor. The anaesthetist wants my diastolic rate to be at 100 or the op will be cancelled.

My question is how quickly will medication take affect? Will it be in time? I'm sure my blood pressure isnt always that high, as I get knots in my tummy and my heart races when doctors or nurses take my reading, but who's to say that I wont now get stressed at home when the monitor goes off? I'm so worried and scared that my operation that I've waited two years for will now be cancelled.

Has anyone got any advice?

Oh dear :wave_cry: I suffer from white coat syndrome too :cry: I am sure they would not bother trying medication if they didn't think they would help, but if your BP only rises when in medical situations, worrying about it won't help at all :wave_cry: You will have to trust them as they won't want to cancel the op either unless they feel it is in your interest. Good luck, sweetie, I am sure you will be fine :):) xx

Hi Lisa,

I remember very clearly another poster asking a similar question a few months back and I was one of the people (also suffering high BP) who responded.

Hope you find some of these responses to the previous similar query helpful: http://www.wlsurgery.com/pre-op-diaries/143922-high-blood-pressure-help.html

And my own (older) BP thread: http://www.wlsurgery.com/general-surgical-weight-loss-discussion/144808-high-blood-pressure.html

My BP was 205 over 108 when it was first measured at the Whittington Hospital and I knew surgery would not go ahead if it stayed that high. After a conflab with (my then) very helpful GP, he switched my brand and increased the dose of my medication to Lisinopril 20 mg a day. It is now: 133/87 (as at yesterday)

THINK POSITIVE: the meds and procedures you are being offered will work -- if you can think positively about it, that will help your BP go down a few points next time it is measured.

Good luck.

Well it didn't quite go to plan! I saw one doctor who took my blood pressure three time on each arm - it was consistently high with my diastolic rate not being below 117 so he checked my urine and there was no protein or blood in it, which was good. Then he checked my eyes to see the discs and the left eye was clear but the right eye was not so good. He was quite concerned as this can show prolonged damage to the brain by continued high pressure so he booked me in to immediately see another doctor. I'm sure this wasn't helping my nerves. So I went to see the second doctor who checked my eyes and he too was concerned about the disc in my right eye, he was unsure whether it was just the tilt of the disc but he has referred me to the eye hospital for it to be checked.

Anyway, he has sent me home with a bp machine and I have to go back on Friday morning and if it's still high he can give me a pill that is fast working. I'll ring the hospital tomorrow to update them. Eeeeek

Last edited:
Back