• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

relationship with food

you will be ok kanga, get a punch bag and use that to destress its great exercise too

My relationship with food was (maybe is, we shall see) bordering on obsessive, in fact doctors have talked about compulsive eating disorder with me before. I've always had an unhealthy attitude towards food, it's been my best friend and worst enemy. I hoped with all my heart I would be someone who woke up and couldn't stand the thought of food after op. I haven't. I'm only a week out but I still get hungry and I still think about food if I allow myself to get hungry but...I get full very quickly. A ramekin of food can fill me up for several hours and if I keep my fluid intake up I'm full most of the time. Usually I get real hunger just before meal times, as it should be, but I'm not starving. It's such early days I don't know what the future holds. I hope a better relationship with food. I enjoying what I am eating, which is real whole healthy foods (even if it is just purée) and that is good because I don't feel the need eat something naughty for flavour because actually the food I have now has more flavour that the endless take aways and cheese sandwiches. I'm not missing alcohol at all either, something I was concerned about as I use to enjoy a lot of wine and it really did take up a load empty calories. All in all I'm feeling really positive about it all and I think you will too. You just have to remember it's not a magic pill and everything won't change over night, if you accept that you will be ready to make changes to your relationship with food. This is what I'm hoping for anyway :) x

Thanks for this post Stubad, exactly how I am feeling at the moment! Good luck with your op :D

I absolutely adore food. Like many who've replied, I enjoy the whole process. Picking a recipe, buying ingredients, cooking and then eating. I can honestly say I have more head hunger than actual hunger. I dont help myself by watching all the cooking programmes I can. If I have a taste for something, I have to have it.

My portion sizes used to be huge, but i've cut them down alot and now eat from a much smaller plate. I love rich food and sauces. I also love steak and welsh butter. I still have both, but in smaller quantities than before I started my weight loss journey. I hope I can still enjoy my favourite things, albeit in much smaller quantities post op :)

For me that is the key. 90% of the time I eat healthy nourishing meals. But if I have a craving I satisfy it. Because lets face it, I'm not going to have much and then once I've had it I'm satisfied. But I don't snack between meals. That's my one rule. If I have a craving, I replace the carb in my next meal with it.

So far I havnt had any cravings . Whilst I was in the queue at the shop earlier I had s weird feeling looking at the sweets . I had no desire for them , but thought to myself I felt sad that I wouldn't't eat them again , but didn't actually feel sad , if that makes sense lol

I have always loved food - every aspect of it. Not meaning to blow my own trumpet, but I am a great cook and fantastic baker. I love to bake for family, friends, neighbours etc. I have baked birthday cakes for years, catered weddings and other events, etc. But something in me has changed already (and that's pre-op). On the rare occasion that I go shopping I usually come back with all sorts of 'goodies' things that my husband doesn't buy as they aren't in his shopping budget (he likes to stick to budgets lol). But today, I went with him and I came back with 4 small low fat yoghurts, a pack of philly extra light, some very small plates that will be for my meals from now and spent the rest on things for the house, some small oven dishes, to make smaller portions of everything (instead of the massive ones we have now). I think it is mainly a psychological thing, in that we think about the difference in the amounts we eat now as opposed to how much we will be able to eat afterwards. We think that we need to eat large amounts at these social events in order to enjoy ourselves - but we don't. Surely the pleasure comes from being with our family and friends at these places. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to nibble on bits - just don't go home afterwards and eat something else. It is scary.

For me it seems very similar to when my hubby had the 'snip' (sorry lol). There was absolutely no way on this earth that I ever, EVER wanted another child. But the thought of that being made a permanent thing, was very scary - I felt as though I was going to be deprived of my ability to choose. For a couple of months all I could think of was that we would never have another child. But once logic slipped in - I realised that I didn't want one, and that the op was the way ahead, I became settled and understood that it was the idea of the permanence that was scary. I do hope that makes sense. lol.

I have exactly the same worries - I find myself wondering how I will react going out to lunch with the girls, and having to push food around my plate. A lot of my anxiety surrounds the idea of waste, it freaks me out a bit, lol. Also I wonder if it will actually change my relationship with my husband, we construct our weeks shopping around the evening meals that we have. And when I work, he prepares only certain things for me for when I get home (im the more naturally gifted cook, lol).

I can't stress this enough. You can still enjoy food. The first six months are hard but still enjoyable as tastes are so much stronger. I did corn on the cob with fake KFC last night. No fat just spray oil and baked. I had 3 mini fillets and a quarter cob and a child's handful of chips. I got to the corn an had to close my eyes because it just taste amazing. I enjoy food more rather than less. All i did was boil it and add salt lol.

Yes i agree Yve, even on the puree stage the vegetables I pured separately so that i still got different flavours rather than 1 mass of mixed the flavours were incredible.xx

Back