• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Restriction

pooh71

I'm only a week out of surgery (sleeve) and am on purée for a month before soft stage.

I still don't feel like I've felt restriction yet though when eating. Is this normal? I'm having porridge with half a mashed banana for brekkie (about half of one of those oat so simple cartons with added milk to water it down), half a carton of fresh covent garden soup (blitzed) for lunch and a purée tea. Eg tonight. Puréed a tin of tuna, a portion of smash and a handful of spinach. I ate half which was about 4 full tablespoons, maybe a nudge more. Followed b a petit filous. I don't feel full when eating, but about 5/10 mins later have a 'feeling' in my tummy. Is that the restriction feeling, or should it be happening when I eat? It doesn't feel like my full feeling pre-op so am I learning a different full feeling?

Just keen to hear how other people feel when eating, and knowing when to stop and whether you think I'm eating too much?

You seem to be eating a lot so slow down. Do you actually need all that or are you eating for the sake of it? I had restriction on liquids but everyone is different, it depends on your swelling.

You will feel your proper restriction once you are on solids.

Also I know this is annoying but you will find your own signals. I get a pain in my chest between my
Boobs, I've usually eaten too much by that point.

I get a cramp type pain in my stomach when I've had enough but I often stop before I get there.

Thanks for this. I don't think I do need it. I am ruled by the clock when to eat, I'm not hungry. Quantity is because I'm not sure how much I need for nutrition etc and whether its enough. I'll cut back and see how I get on. Xx

Also I know this is annoying but you will find your own signals. I get a pain in my chest between my
Boobs, I've usually eaten too much by that point.

I get a cramp type pain in my stomach when I've had enough but I often stop before I get there.

Ooo no not had anything like that. I'll slow down his next week I think. Make sure I get my fluids through. X

I wouldn't worry too much at the beginning, my calories were tiny but I wasn't hungry so went with it. When do you move on to solids?

I move onto 'soft foods' in 3 weeks, and then starting introducing the crispy foods 2-4 weeks after that, depending how you feel.

I'll crack on as I am, maybe just reduce the quantity a bit. I'm feeling okay which I'm pleased about. Thanks for your help, it's great having the support here x

I would just go with it and enjoy the weight loss at this stage. Happy to help when I can xx

I agree that sounds quite a bit and I can't fit anything like those portions in now 6 weeks post op. At the puree stage, I could fit 3 level tablespoons (sometimes less if thicker) in. I never measured out more than this and often ate less. I couldn't have managed a yoghurt after a pureed meal either. The overall amount doesn't seem too bad, maybe just spread it out a bit more into 6 smaller meals.
I have felt restriction and got full signals from the outset but I know alot of people dont genuinely feel it until they move on to proper food.....guess we are all different.
Good luck.

My doctor told me to be on only liquids for three weeks. I'm now 4 weeks out and eating mushy foods like yoghurt. I feel the restriction after about 200ml.

Thanks for this, it seems each hospital varies. Sunderland have you on puréed food after only one day on fluids, and you stay on that for a month. So things like puréed meats/fish, veg, mash with gravy. anything really just pureed but protein led! it was a relief after the milk diet. Then we move onto what they call soft stage which is eating things like fish pie, cottage pie, scrambled egg( without pureeing) then you introduce crispy food like crackers etc.
I'm sure we all get the same outcome :) good luck!

Thanks for this, it seems each hospital varies. Sunderland have you on puréed food after only one day on fluids, and you stay on that for a month. So things like puréed meats/fish, veg, mash with gravy. anything really just pureed but protein led! it was a relief after the milk diet. Then we move onto what they call soft stage which is eating things like fish pie, cottage pie, scrambled egg( without pureeing) then you introduce crispy food like crackers etc.
I'm sure we all get the same outcome :) good luck!

Yes, every doctor/ hospital is different. Somewhat weird since it's the same operation...
I have to stay on mushy food for anther couple of weeks. Then I can start to introduce soft foods.
Last Saturday I messed up and had scrambled eggs and toast. Two bites was enough to give me a LOT of pain and I vomitted :mad: I learned my lesson. Taking it slow now - no matter how well I feel. Fingers crossed that I can stick to it

I spoke to the dietician at the hospital today to check I was doing okay food wise. I read out everything I was doing and how much and she was happy with it and i was getting a good spread of different foods which is important. She said after a week or so alot of people find they can fit more in as the swelling has gone down more. She said its what feels comfortable, as long as you're getting a good broad diet and feel okay. She also said restriction feeling will come more with solids.

I feel much happier for that I was starting to worry! :) The weight is coming off, so I must be doing something right! Lol

I can manage three tablespoons of porridge or 1 weetabix for breakfast; three tablespoons of homemade soup at lunch, sometimes with two tablespoons of Smash with a little cheese; teatimes are two tablespoons rice or potato with couple of tablespoons of pureed casserole (have had lamb, pork, chicken and beef all ok blended to mush). I can manage a 2/3rds a full cup of coffee/tea but not much of cold fluids as I find it quite painful to drink so tending to warm up my juice and water instead of drinking it cold so that I get my fluids in. Same with milk - need it to be warmed not straight out of the fridge. Anyone else got this with cold liquids?

If I remember during the day I also have a LF yogurt or a mini LF Rice pud with a little warm milk.

I do get periods where I do feel hungry but its usually nearing meal time and these small amounts take that away. Trying to have 4-6 small bits during the day but sometimes only have 3 as I don't always feel hungry. Don't always get heavy restriction when I'm eating so trying to stick to hospital guidance on portion size. I think I can eat more than I am, but Monday night I made pureed fish pies in ramekins and a full ramekin was probably a spoonfull to much as I had a very uncomfortable evening!

Hoping that once I'm on solids I get a better feeling of restriction while eating.

When I think of what I could previously put away in a day its quite amazing that I can survive on these tiny portions.

I can manage three tablespoons of porridge or 1 weetabix for breakfast; three tablespoons of homemade soup at lunch, sometimes with two tablespoons of Smash with a little cheese; teatimes are two tablespoons rice or potato with couple of tablespoons of pureed casserole (have had lamb, pork, chicken and beef all ok blended to mush). I can manage a 2/3rds a full cup of coffee/tea but not much of cold fluids as I find it quite painful to drink so tending to warm up my juice and water instead of drinking it cold so that I get my fluids in. Same with milk - need it to be warmed not straight out of the fridge. Anyone else got this with cold liquids?

If I remember during the day I also have a LF yogurt or a mini LF Rice pud with a little warm milk.

I do get periods where I do feel hungry but its usually nearing meal time and these small amounts take that away. Trying to have 4-6 small bits during the day but sometimes only have 3 as I don't always feel hungry. Don't always get heavy restriction when I'm eating so trying to stick to hospital guidance on portion size. I think I can eat more than I am, but Monday night I made pureed fish pies in ramekins and a full ramekin was probably a spoonfull to much as I had a very uncomfortable evening!

Hoping that once I'm on solids I get a better feeling of restriction while eating.

When I think of what I could previously put away in a day its quite amazing that I can survive on these tiny portions.

Thanks Novamay, really good to read that. Sounds very similar to me. I'm okay with drinking although I had cold water out of the fridge when I first came out of hospital and I couldn't drink it. Haven't tried since. I just have bottles of water that haven't been in the fridge, so room temperature, and i find that okay.I've totally turned into a tea addict!! Drinking about 6 mugs a day. Again the nurse said that was fine as good for the milk intake. I drink decaf so at least I'm it bouncing off the walls with too much caffeine! And I totally agree with the last sentence! Haha. Good luck with it xx

Back