• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Revision Surgery on Bypass

ryanrara

RyanRARA
Hi all, my name is Ryan < i am 16 months post op bypass, started at 29 stone, now on 17. Sadly I very rarely dump and as the op sorts the physical and not the mental, I cant seem to stop with the crisps, chocs, sweets, etc. No where near as much as pre-op yet still I shudnt be having this stuff now. Biscuits are the worse. I also have very limited restriction, in fact hardly any. I had a lamb roast for lunch, with potatoes, gravy, veg and stuffing and had and managed a normal size portion. And my evening snack, just before bed, is 2 slices of toast with half a banana on each slice. I can eat this and happily munch away a few minutes later again. Now the answer would be dont eat the crap. But we all know thats easier said that done. For my first 5 months I could barely eat, in the end I had a stricture and needed a stretch. Sadly since then I can, most days, eat loads. My question is, are any of you the same, have you had a revision on your bypass and was it NHS funded. If private how, where and how much? XXXX

Can't help much ryanara, as I'm only 6 months out of surgery and am not going through what you are.. but revision surgery interests me, as its my biggest fear that the bypass will fail, and I will end up regaining weight at some point... I have been reading up about the fobi ring which is a rigid ring they put around the pouch to stop it from stretching but as far as I can see it is only being used at the spire hospital in southampton, so will be useful to find out what if any rebision options are available if all else fails.. have you spoken to your team about your lack of restriction??

Ryan have you been to see your team? Could it be that your pouch is emptying too fast?

I have just been sleeved with a fobi ring from outset. You are right in thinking that Michael Van den Bossche is the only uk surgeon to use the Fobi at the moment. I had it fitted at outset as I have been hugely overweight my whole life and didn't think I could be trusted is at some point in the future my pouch stretched. This way I have a permanent restriction. Last weeks embarassing fat bodies featured a bypass revision with a fobi to a gorgeous chap who'd started regaining a few years down the line. Good luck.

so will be useful to find out what if any rebision options are available if all else fails..

Hi Amanda (and Ryan),

I can only add info about what I know the Whittington Hospital (NHS) offers patients whose sleeve or bypass has "failed" / become too loose a year or so down the line, and that is:

-- re-sleeve the sleeve; or
-- tighten the exit of the bypass with stitches / new surgery (but no fobi ring)

I am aware they have done this for a number of patients. Some I have heard about from the nurses, and others from fellow Whittington patients.

However the only thing I do not know is what BMI's those patients had when they qualified for the revision surgery on the NHS ..... I don't know if you have to be back to BMI above 45 / 50 in order to qualify (not sure).

Can't help on the revision front but you need to keep telling yourself that you've achieved a substantial weight loss so far and you need to use this as motivation. Do you really want to become 29 stone again?? If you return to your old ways, becoming 29 stone again is a very real and frightening possibility.

The issue that you can't seem to stop snacking on crisps and sweets is not because of the lack of restriction but because you are physically giving in to temptations, you've gone astray from the strict diet you once stuck to. You need to go back to basics and get all of the bad foods out of your life. This is hard but we all entered this journey knowing that we need to be strong and commit to a life change, as it's always said.. a bypass is a tool rather than a cure. It's your job to use that tool correctly and effectively.

In regards to the restriction, you can 'bulk up' on healthy and more filling foods instead of sweets and crisps - you need to find the willpower to do this again and we can't do this for you, sadly. You can't blame the lack of restriction for you returning to naughty foods.

Perhaps try the 5 day pouch test? It could just be that your lack of restriction is just psychological rather than physical.

You need to do everything you can to nip this in the bud quickly. Whether it be weight watchers or whatever. You won't be given another chance from the NHS should you return to your former self. It quite literally is now or never.

Hi all, my name is Ryan < i am 16 months post op bypass, started at 29 stone, now on 17. Sadly I very rarely dump and as the op sorts the physical and not the mental, I cant seem to stop with the crisps, chocs, sweets, etc. No where near as much as pre-op yet still I shudnt be having this stuff now. Biscuits are the worse. I also have very limited restriction, in fact hardly any. I had a lamb roast for lunch, with potatoes, gravy, veg and stuffing and had and managed a normal size portion. And my evening snack, just before bed, is 2 slices of toast with half a banana on each slice. I can eat this and happily munch away a few minutes later again. Now the answer would be dont eat the crap. But we all know thats easier said that done. For my first 5 months I could barely eat, in the end I had a stricture and needed a stretch. Sadly since then I can, most days, eat loads. My question is, are any of you the same, have you had a revision on your bypass and was it NHS funded. If private how, where and how much? XXXX

I know how you feel I'm the same seem to be eating loads feel more hungry weight started at 27.5 stone went down to 15.5 stone back up to 17 stone since coming off my dialectic meds everything been going downhill don't know what to do about it ?

Back