• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Revision surgery

Looloo1079

Hi, I'm having a conversion from a gastric band to a sleeve, due to my band slipping. I'm having this done on the 18/10/16 at Nuffield leeds with James Halstead as my surgeon. Have you got any tips on what will happen after surgery ie is the diet easy to stick to, what the pain will be like, what things to avoid. Any advice appreciated. Has anyone else had James Halstead and what do you think of him. Is anyone else having the operation around the same time.

Mr halstead did my sleeve privately, he was good, I've got the smallest sleeve known to man! The pain is ok, I didn't need any pain relief but it will hurt, but like a good kick in the guts! I had 3 weeks liquid then 3 weeks purée after my sleeve..I had no issues with sticking to it, just do as you are told by mr halstead. Good luck

Hello and welcome!

I had a band and now have a sleeve but mine was done in two stages, to allow the stomach to heal so slightly different to you.

The pain after the sleeve was managable but don't be afraid to ask for pain relief if you need it.

Your diet post op will be liquid, then puree, then soft.

Good luck x

Hello and welcome :)

Hello and welcome!

I had a band and now have a sleeve but mine was done in two stages, to allow the stomach to heal so slightly different to you.

The pain after the sleeve was managable but don't be afraid to ask for pain relief if you need it.

Your diet post op will be liquid, then puree, then soft.

Good luck x
Thanks for your reply, do you mind me asking how much weight gain you had from having your band removed and the sleeve done. I've already put a stone on from the band being emptied but 3 stone on from when I knew the band wasn't working properly. How is your weight loss going so far with the sleeve?

Hi and not at all.

My band was empty for a year and I pretty much maintained, give or take half a stone.

When my band was removed I actually lost weight, probably because I was able to eat properly!

I was put on some medication though that made me put weight on and quickly. So at my weigh in prior to starting the pre op I had gained two stone and felt blooming awful for it.

I lost 5kg on the pre op and at my two week weigh in that was up to 12kg. So I'm now where I was after my band was removed!

I won't weigh in again till Friday when I'll be a month post op :D

Hi and not at all.

My band was empty for a year and I pretty much maintained, give or take half a stone.

When my band was removed I actually lost weight, probably because I was able to eat properly!

I was put on some medication though that made me put weight on and quickly. So at my weigh in prior to starting the pre op I had gained two stone and felt blooming awful for it.

I lost 5kg on the pre op and at my two week weigh in that was up to 12kg. So I'm now where I was after my band was removed!

I won't weigh in again till Friday when I'll be a month post op :D
Thanks for that, you did really well to maintain your weight, I've tried so hard to keep to the smaller portions ect but I think because I'm not vomiting everyday the weight is still going on at a rate of knots. I'm so looking forward to my surgery on Tuesday and desperately need to get back down to where I was a couple of years ago. The good thing is that I've done it before so I now know it's not impossible to get there again. Good luck with your weigh in

Mr halstead did my sleeve privately, he was good, I've got the smallest sleeve known to man! The pain is ok, I didn't need any pain relief but it will hurt, but like a good kick in the guts! I had 3 weeks liquid then 3 weeks purée after my sleeve..I had no issues with sticking to it, just do as you are told by mr halstead. Good luck
Thanks for your support. I'm so excited about my surgery next Tuesday, desperately want to get back to the weight I was, I felt so much better then than I do now.

Best of luck! I am considering revision too, band had to be empty due to dilation and i put on weight.
When did you have your band done? And how much is revision if i can ask?

Best of luck! I am considering revision too, band had to be empty due to dilation and i put on weight.
When did you have your band done? And how much is revision if i can ask?
I had my band done six years ago but I've been having problems for three years with terrible acid reflux on a night time and still most days vomited my food up, they always said my band was too full, eventually I paid to have a scan which proved what I thought had happened, had, the band had slipped, totally emptied and put another stone on for the revision. I paid £9950 through the hospital group I managed to get a thousand knocked off, the price of removing the band.

I had my band done six years ago but I've been having problems for three years with terrible acid reflux on a night time and still most days vomited my food up, they always said my band was too full, eventually I paid to have a scan which proved what I thought had happened, had, the band had slipped, totally emptied and put another stone on for the revision. I paid £9950 through the hospital group I managed to get a thousand knocked off, the price of removing the band.

Hope you will be luckier with the sleeve. Why did you pay? I went to gp with reflux, she referred me to Barium x ray at local nhs unit. They confirmed dilation and referred me to a surgeon. Empty band 5 months later another nhs x ray and another meeting with doc. Happy with nhs care really.

Hope you will be luckier with the sleeve. Why did you pay? I went to gp with reflux, she referred me to Barium x ray at local nhs unit. They confirmed dilation and referred me to a surgeon. Empty band 5 months later another nhs x ray and another meeting with doc. Happy with nhs care really.
I was in hospital for a week and every day I asked for a barium xray and they just wouldn't do one, they did ordinary xrays an xray that I had to drink some aniseed stuff and ultrasound scan and because all these things were ok they wouldn't do the barium xray, they kept telling me how it was bank holiday weekend and they were prepared to call anyone in from bariatric side and was advised to drink Cola as that would dislodge anything that was stuck.

I was in hospital for a week and every day I asked for a barium xray and they just wouldn't do one, they did ordinary xrays an xray that I had to drink some aniseed stuff and ultrasound scan and because all these things were ok they wouldn't do the barium xray, they kept telling me how it was bank holiday weekend and they were prepared to call anyone in from bariatric side and was advised to drink Cola as that would dislodge anything that was stuck.
So so sorry. Did you need endoscopy before your revision? I have been told if i need band removal i have to have endoscopy. Thats expensive privately and not sure the gp would agree to write referral.
Where in the country was that hospital? I live in BUCKS and had x rays in High Wycombe and Stoke Mandeville hospitals.
Hows is the pain? Do you feel well and different? Did you think about bypass? Why sleeve? Thank you

So so sorry. Did you need endoscopy before your revision? I have been told if i need band removal i have to have endoscopy. Thats expensive privately and not sure the gp would agree to write referral.
Where in the country was that hospital? I live in BUCKS and had x rays in High Wycombe and Stoke Mandeville hospitals.
Hows is the pain? Do you feel well and different? Did you think about bypass? Why sleeve? Thank you
Hi, I live in york, so was york hospital that didn't do barium xray. No I didn't need an endoscopy as the barium xray proved beyond doubt that my band had slipped. I did think about the options between sleeve or bypass, but decided that a sleeve would be sufficient as I don't have a vast amount of weight to loose, happy if I get my three stone back off. To be honest I'm not as in as much pain as when I had the band fitted. it's only a week since surgery and I've been to the supermarket and I went out on an hour and half dog walk yesterday, so all positive so far.

Back