• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Rice

12dobidog

As a few of you will know I am in my 5th week and I have checked my diet sheets and I am allowed rice but I cant eat it. I am over cooking it and mashing it but caused me to be sick and quite some pain I only had 1tbs on my plate and only tried a little.
I will try again in a week or so
Any one else had this problem

Not tried it myself yet Bryan (not fancied it), but through reading other posts I believe it can be hard to get down/stay down.

I'm like Allie, didnt try it till I was about 3 months out and had no problems with it. I was reluctant to try it before then as I had read it could be a problem food. I believe its because it can continue to swell in the pouch so you eat what you think you can manage and then the pain can come 20-30 mins later.

Try it again in a few weeks or so. x

i havent tryed it yet because i heard it was a problem food, and i'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to trying new foods.

I'm on soft foods until 12 weeks, so haven't tried rice yet ... or pasta .... or bread. I'm avoiding carbs as much as possible.

Maybe you should leave it for a few weeks before trying again xx

Hi Bryan. Loads of people seem to have problems with rice. I tried it this week too (just over 5 weeks post op like you). I only had a tablespoon and mixed it with a tablespoon of chilli con carne. Went down fine. Think it's slightly better if it's sloppy. I wouldn't try it dry just yet. Hope that helps.

Hi, I still can't manage rice. I'm the same with rice pudding, it just doesn't sit well. Hopefully one day it'll be ok but in the mean time I don't really miss it.

I was about 6 months post op before I could stomach rice, and even now at 12 months out only 2-3 desert spoons have me so full I cant eat anything else, so I therefore dont eat it. HTH x

I've had rice small amount with homemade curry. Went down ok, it was basmati rice as its low GI and apparently doesnt swell too much after cooking unlike long grain

xx

I used to love rice and pasta but could not cope with them till i was about 3 mth post op , it just didnt feel right some how and still now i can only manage a little of it . Best thing is to leave it a couple of weeks then try again , our pouch's like to show us who's boss lol

Hi,

Rice is a tricky one. I had a nightmare with a tiny bit in a thai restaurant at 6 weeks post op - actually had to run through the place to the bathroom gagging and doubled over in pain (v-embarrassing). Anyway I left it alone and tried again after a few months and now its fine. The best way to introduce it I found is something like long grain I found that easier as its bigger and softer than the smaller spikey stuff like basmati which gave me more problems.

Back