• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Rice krispies few days post band op - oops !!

loughpet

Hi,

I my lap band last Thursday. Could not stand the smell of food or even look at it for first few days. I had some yogurt and soup this week and couldn't look at anymore of either . I then had a small bowl of well chewed rice krispies this morning . Oh dear am I trouble ? I feel fine !!

Provider recommends 2 wks of fluids - I think this is very hard to stick to.

How has everyone else done with sticking to the post-ops .

Hope I don't damage things with them damm rice krispies that I just had to have !!

Hey hun, its hard isnt it, Well i too was a bit "naughty" faily soon out of surgery, and i was honest enough and told the consultant when i had my check up and she said as long as everything was chewed so much it couldnt be chewed any more it was fine.

Good luck on your journey xx

I know and my sister had this op and didn't stick most to post op either . I think as long as well chewed and not vomiting should be ok - HOPEFULLY !!

Yes, it's hard... and some of us had to do 4 weeks on fluids ! Take care and don't take on too much too soon...

hang on... i really dont think we should be saying its okay to be eating food when the advice from your provider is fluids...

yes, i understand, if you feel you have to, then at least make sure its well chewed... but personally, i wouldnt, and didnt, move onto solids untill i was told it was okay... band or bypass, its still a major op...

if you stick to the rules now, you will find more success in the long term.

do you really want to risk it??

.x.

I agree with BypassBee, we're not given this advice for nothing and we really should stick by it. I know all too well how hard & monotonous it can be having nothing but fluids, I'd already done 4wks on fluids on my pre-op diet!

At 10 days post-op I was craving something a little more substantial so called my bariatric nurse to check whether it would be ok. She agreed as long as I only had food with the consistency of a thick sauce, such as porridge, semolina, pureed lentils etc.

I know with a band the rules are slightly different, but I should imagine you still have a lot of post-op swelling so it's quite possible you could cause a blockage if you try to eat more solid food at this stage.

I agree with Bea, it is hard but there is a very good reason for you being on liquids for two weeks. This is to allow your body to recover from the op and for any swelling caused by the op to reduce before you move on to more substantial food.

Its very likely that your provider will ask you to stick to liquids after a fill too for the same reason.

Take care but try to stick with the advice you have been given :)

When I had my band done, out post op diet was very different to some out there.

Days 1-3 liquids only, days 4-7 mushies and then from day 7 gradually introduce solid foods.

So I guess there is such variables in the post op advice.

There are other better choices than a sugary kids ceareal though, that I do agree with. This tool will only work if you eat the right foods and exercise.

My first soft food was porridge with no added sugar.

I then moved onto very runny scrambled eggs to start the protein intake going.

I am sure you will be fine, although it is always best to stick to what instructions you are given, these are not there to be annoying but to get you used to sensible choices and smaller portions.

Good luck for your journey :)

I'm with Neen on this one. It's for your own good. I know food played a big part in our lives pre-op but this operation is a second chance. You have to get a grip where food is concerned!

Yes, it's 'only' a bit of rice crispies, but what next? When people are feeling better do they order a fatty kebab or triple cheeseburger?

This is your chance to get your health back and your life back. Why would you want to screw it up so quickly?

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, I'm a bloke after all and we are not as gentle with our words, but there are rules for reasons. It's your health and life you're playing with!

all providorss have different rules i had to eat porrige before i was allowed out of hospital, the best advice i can give is dont get to complacent with it at this stage or banding just wont work for you and its very easy to cheat with banding, please follow the advice of your providors x

I agree with Liz. We all have our own surgical teams with their own ways of doing things BUT it is really important to follow their advice not just now but after any fill that you might have. This is a whole new way of life and it's not always easy but it is so worthwhile.

Back