• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Right hand/left hand

Lincs Lass

I had my op done under the NHS at the Nuffield Hospital in Derby on 22 Feb. I rang the outpatients at Derby to cancel the dietitian appointment that was booked for late March as that was a pre-op appointment and I was now post-op with a post-op follow up appointment in place for early April.

Late April I got a phone call demanding to know why I hadn't attended the dietitian appointment in March. I went through it all, she took notes and then booked me the follow up post-op appointment that I went to today.

So I get there. The delightful Jacqui calls me through. Looks at my notes. 'Ah yes, I saw you in December and confirmed you should be accepted for surgery'. (My situation is different from most other peoples - my hospital swap was enforced rather than requested so my 'time' at The Whittington was taken in to account).

As I stepped on to the scale I observed that 'I reckon I'll be 5 stone later than op date'. She looks at me puzzled. 'What op?'. 'Gastric bypass, 22 June'. 'Have you?'.

There is nothing in my notes to show I've even had the op. The last records they have are from last December. I think that's more than a little worrying. Not so much in my case as mine was a plain sailing, very very low risk procedure with no complications during or after surgery. But what if there had have been!!

Very very strange appointment (but confirmed all going to plan and my BMI is nearly 15 points down from my initial appointment last August)

Wow ... That's shocking. Thankfully all went well for you but even so.

Thank god your op went well... Cos if it hadn't.... They didn't have your notes...

My first post op appointment with the surgeon (well a member of his team!!!!) 6 weeks after my bypass, i was telling him all the problems I were having and his response was "well you will feel a lot better once you have the operation" I couldn't believe it.

My op was done by the nhs but at Nuffield in Leeds, I think my problems were in my head but all stemmed from the post op diet plan the dietician at Nuffield gave me, by the time I saw a dietician at my local hospital the damage had already been done. The diet plan basically was that after 5 weeks I would be eating normal textured food which is not the case!!!

Back