• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Salford Royal advice needed?

ladybird2702

Hi everyone,
Just looking for a bit of advice.
I had my psychiatrist appointment on the 17/08/2016. All went ok, he said I'm good to go. Then there was nothing until my pre-op assessment happened on 12/11/2016. All good, too. I've been told that my surgery will be in about 2-4 weeks from the pre-op.
I've been ringing the secretary number, like million times, because I needed to know the surgery date as I'm single mum of 3 and just need to organize someone to look after my kids.
There was never an answer until last Monday 5th of Dec. I asked the lady on the phone if they have any date for me. She said the're looking at the moment at some possible dates, however she can't tell me yet, but they will give me a minimum 2 weeks notice for the liver shrinking diet. And she asked me to call on Friday 9th of Dec.
And OMG i called at breakfast, at lunch, after lunch after work and so on on Fri, Monday and today. Around lunch time the same lady picked up the phone I gave her my details and she said if I will be ok for next Mon 19/12. I asked what abt the LSD? My surgeon Dr Ammori said i need to be on it for 2 weeks. She replied: ohh if you start today you will be on it for 6 days and your liver will still shrink. I wasn't convinced so I said to her: can you please ask my surgeon if its ok only for 6 days and if he says it's fine, i have no problems. So she said I will get hold of the surgeon and discus this with him and call you this afternoon. I said fine, but please make sure that you let me know either the answer. She replied i will definitely call you.
Guess what? She hasn't. I called like 10 times after 3p.m. and no one answered the phone.
I mean what am I supposed do now? I am so stressed out, not with the actual surgery coming, only with the hospital staff treating the customers so badly, I need to sort out some one to look after my kids, but how can I if i don't have a date?
Sorry for long story, but I am at the end of my tether. Shall I ring them tomorrow again?

Hi :) sorry you're not finding it easy to talk to your team. That all sounds stressful :( someone here whose name currently escapes me did about 4 days LRD because they got given a last minute date and they were fine. I was only supposed to do ten days although I did 11 and again it all went well. Have you been able to start the diet? It's ok telling you to start yesterday but what if you didn't have the necessary supplies in? Plus can you do the 19th childcare wise? If you can then maybe look at it this way, it's less time to get nervous at least!

I can understand why you feel at the end of your tether and maybe it's worth raising it with PALs at the hospital because I don't think expecting clear communication in a timely manner is at all unreasonable. Ring them again if you think it will help you feel better. Have you made a decision about whether you are going to go ahead?

Hi :) sorry you're not finding it easy to talk to your team. That all sounds stressful :( someone here whose name currently escapes me did about 4 days LRD because they got given a last minute date and they were fine. I was only supposed to do ten days although I did 11 and again it all went well. Have you been able to start the diet? It's ok telling you to start yesterday but what if you didn't have the necessary supplies in? Plus can you do the 19th childcare wise? If you can then maybe look at it this way, it's less time to get nervous at least!

I can understand why you feel at the end of your tether and maybe it's worth raising it with PALs at the hospital because I don't think expecting clear communication in a timely manner is at all unreasonable. Ring them again if you think it will help you feel better. Have you made a decision about whether you are going to go ahead?
Thank you for your reply. i haven't made the desicion as I was waiting for that lady to call me back and tell me whether my surgeon is happy for me to do the lsd only for 5 days.
I've been ringing this morning since 8 a.m. and still no answer. I mean obviously there is someone who works in there, but why they won't pick up the phone. I remember on one stop clinic prof ammori said that we must follow the diet 2 weeks prior otherwise the surgery will be cancelled if the liver is not shrunk. And the lady on the phone week ago told me that they need to give me min. 2 weeks notice because of the diet/work/family arrangements .
I really don't know who should I ring now if there is hardly anyone to pick up secretary 's phone.

Yep they are very strict about the LRD but then some do it for a month, mine was 10 days and some people have to do it as part of getting approval. Anyway I'm really glad you've got a date that's still very soon but you feel you've got enough time to prepare. Good luck!

How exciting now that it's sorted x

Back