• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Saying hello

tubbytutor

Hi to everyone. I am currently trying to decide if I am brave enough to go through with band surgery. I have done loads of reading about it and have met with the surgeon I will be going private as I can't face waiting for the NHS lottery!
The most worrying aspect for me is when I hear that people are not able to eat anything solid.
I have arthritis and fibromyalgia and so can not exercise. I spend 80% of my life in bed as I suffer from fatigue as well as chronic pain. The only thing I can control is what I eat, and I always feel like I need a treat!

So that's me in a nutshell. Look forward to chatting

Jenny

Hi Jenny. I'm due to go on the milk diet on the 9th. My gastric bypass Op on the 23rd. Can't wait. I went to the doctor in early September 2012 had my first appointment with surgeon on the 15th October (mums birthday and the day our son told us we're due to be grand parents on the 25th April ) I had lots of blood taken was told to lose 2 stone and they would be in touch. I saw the nutritionalist every 6 weeks and they gave me the date of 23rd. I went to see them yesterday for my pre-op assessment and go on the wonderful 3 pints of milk and 2 yogurts a day on the 9th. My friend had a gastric bypass 18 months ago and my husband didn't recognise her when we bumped into her in Tesco a few months ago. I really can't wait. Hope this helps with the time line.

Hi Jenny and welcome :)

Best of luck with whichever route you choose. I am a bander and have no major issues with solid food. Just eat far less of them than previously, but I have never been overly restricted by the band ... Just have at a level that works for me and still allows me to eat but still loose weight. We are all different in how tight we are / choose to be ... And all our bodies are different ... But fingers crossed it could work for you too :) keep us updated!

Hi and welcome to the forum! There are a few people here who have been in the same situation although perhaps different surgeries, angee comes to mind. I will message her to speak to you. xx

Hi and welcome. I chose the band because I can control the tightness and if I dont go too tight I will be fine with solids. Im two weeks in still on liquids and have no regrets xxx

Hi and welcome

I've also got fibro and CFS but not too bad. Even 'only' having lost 2 stone I'm finding the fibro has eased a little. I hope the surgery helps you with that too xx

Hello and welcome
I suffer from arthritis and had a knee replacement 4 months before my wls. I am 68 years old as well. I now walk well and painfree as well. I just wish i had wls sooner as had been thinking about it since 2003.
Not meaning to pressure you at all but mindful that you must be serious as you would not otherwise be on this forum.
At first i was unable to exercise and then went onto water aerobics and swimming. Now i have a wii and do as much walking as i can.

Hello and welcome
I suffer from arthritis and had a knee replacement 4 months before my wls. I am 68 years old as well. I now walk well and painfree as well. I just wish i had wls sooner as had been thinking about it since 2003.
Not meaning to pressure you at all but mindful that you must be serious as you would not otherwise be on this forum.
At first i was unable to exercise and then went onto water aerobics and swimming. Now i have a wii and do as much walking as i can.

Hi, please do think very carefully about choosing the band. I was banded in 2008 and have barely lost weight. Unfortunately, I never found the elusive sweet spot and even now with no full, throw up regularly.

By no means am I saying don't have the band, but do consider seriously why you are overweight. I am now looking at a band to bypass revision and wish I'd had the nerve to have it done originally. Had I had my time again, I would have gone for the sleeve bug they weren't readily available at the time.

I'm sure there will be plenty of banded ready to defend the band. & like I say, each to his own but I would stress to consider all the options

If you can, I'd recommend going to a support group where you can talk to those in the know and get first hand experiences of all the surgeries available,

It's such a hard decision and I don't envy you.

Hugs :)

I did not have the band. I had the wrap in turnov. Too much follow up with the band for me and did not want foreign object in my body.

Hi Jenny and welcome :)

Best of luck with whichever route you choose. I am a bander and have no major issues with solid food. Just eat far less of them than previously, but I have never been overly restricted by the band ... Just have at a level that works for me and still allows me to eat but still loose weight. We are all different in how tight we are / choose to be ... And all our bodies are different ... But fingers crossed it could work for you too :) keep us updated!

Many thanks. I saw your before and after photos. You are an inspiration.
Jenny

Hi to everyone. I am currently trying to decide if I am brave enough to go through with band surgery. I have done loads of reading about it and have met with the surgeon I will be going private as I can't face waiting for the NHS lottery!
The most worrying aspect for me is when I hear that people are not able to eat anything solid.
I have arthritis and fibromyalgia and so can not exercise. I spend 80% of my life in bed as I suffer from fatigue as well as chronic pain. The only thing I can control is what I eat, and I always feel like I need a treat!

So that's me in a nutshell. Look forward to chatting

Jenny

Hi Jenny I too have FM and rheumatoid arthritis, SLE and Sjogrens and was banded 6 months ago at Dolan park. I've lost just under 4 stone with out exercising my energy levels have increased I hardly ever get a flare up and if I do it's no where near as bad as before the band. I've also reduced my meds x

Paula x

Hi Paula

Thanks for replying. It is wonderful to hear you have done so well. Who did you see at Dolan Park?

I was worried about pain from the band being exaggerated by the Fibro.

Hi and welcome please don't worry about eating solids I had my band and it became my best friend but ate solids thing I could not tolerate was salad stuff and raw veg also chewy meat but fish curries braised meat roast chicken all no problems I we all are different please don't worry about that
I lost about 8 stone with my band before it caused problems but I did miss it so so much it becomes your best friend as for fills its finding your sweet spot
When they put the fluid in I had to go back to the stages liquids sloppy soft but it was well worth it
I have now had a bypass and really like it but still miss my band he was my best friend hope yours becomes your best friend
But they do tell you off when you do naughty things
Only tip I have is chew your food really well and learn to drink 20 mins after your meal is the hardest thing
Good luck sorry to ramble on
Mark

Hi and welcome please don't worry about eating solids I had my band and it became my best friend but ate solids thing I could not tolerate was salad stuff and raw veg also chewy meat but fish curries braised meat roast chicken all no problems I we all are different please don't worry about that
I lost about 8 stone with my band before it caused problems but I did miss it so so much it becomes your best friend as for fills its finding your sweet spot
When they put the fluid in I had to go back to the stages liquids sloppy soft but it was well worth it
I have now had a bypass and really like it but still miss my band he was my best friend hope yours becomes your best friend
But they do tell you off when you do naughty things
Only tip I have is chew your food really well and learn to drink 20 mins after your meal is the hardest thing
Good luck sorry to ramble on
Mark

Why did you get bypass and drop band? Xxx

Eww eww does that just happen or did u do something to make it happen. Losing my band for something like that scares me poopless xxx

Eww eww does that just happen or did u do something to make it happen. Losing my band for something like that scares me poopless xxx

Bands can and do slip etc. regardless of whether you're doing everything right. However you can increase the chances of it going wrong.

My band was great and I had a fill and it caused a slip so after lots of fills and in fills ended up having it took out now I have a bypass but sounds silly missed my band but my bypass has been great
But lots of people don't have problems but if you do it is sortable
Good luck

I saw sigurdsson lovely no none sense chap x

I hand on heart have had no issue with my fibro and the band Hun x

Meggie Moo

Thanks again for,the comments about fibro. I have booked the band now, so no turning back. 17th May here I come!!!!

Back