• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Food sticking..will i ever learn?

Will i ever learn? Yesterday i felt what i thought was a little hungry and knowing i was going to a friends for about 3 hours i thought i'd have a banana. Well i only had about half (three bites) and realised my Tina had had enough so gave the rest to himself to finish. Well i got to my friends and sat out in the garden enjoying a cuppa - well okay trying to enjoy one but i felt sooo uncomfortable. In the end i made excuses and went up to the bathroom - i even pulled the window too as i thought i was going to be sick but luckily a bit of trapped wind relieved my discomfort so i returned to the gossiping....

This morning i popped the supermarket and felt 'peckish' so thought i'd eat an apple as a healthy snack. Finished the apple even though i didn't feel like the last 1/4 of it, and it bugged me for a couple of hours after, was a little uncomfortable and again i wondered if it would come back up. Now tonight i've had my tea, chicken tikka masala (healthy choice) and a bit of naan bread (i'm fine with bread usually) and its sitting uncomfortably yet again...

When the heck am i going to learn when to stop eating! I left the last mouthful of bread - okay i started chewing and realised i was full and spat it out... No way i'm encouraging my food back up - to me that's a fast track to a problem....

How long did it take you to realise you either weren't hungry or that you shouldn't eat all on your plate?

Hi Julie
obviously I have all this to come (yuck, sounds gross) but it's still quite early days for you isn't it?
I just want to give you a big big hug and say don't be to hard on yourself. You're such an encouragement to people on here........th thing is, as I understand it, the pouch (ah, Tina, bless!) is a tool and I guess we just have to learn how to use it, eh?
Like a toddler learns to walk by falling over quite a lot, we have to learn by making the odd mistake?
Please feel free to send me this back when I begin beating myself up post-surgery!

Hugs
Charis xxx
ps I prefer chicken korma :D LOL

I keep catching myself eating too quickly - I do try and chew lots, but it's so easy to forget ! I get that "stuck in the gut" feeling too. Not nice... :sign0137:

There are a lot of habits to unlearn by the sounds of it post op!

I know all the things that you are saying are the things that I will be struggling with after my op, I already test my big tummy to the limit at times so its going to be really hard to cope with a little one. xxx

Luckily for me although i felt sick i leant over the loo and had a big burp, which seemed to cure all... TMI i know but i have to let you know sometimes it can be wind thats trapped lol x

I have to say Julie that Im super impressed by the variety of food you are eating at such an early stage. They were all problem foods for me early on, chicken, bread of any sort, apples I struggled with for ages. Even now I would struggle to eat a whole apple - my restriction is very good.

As for eating slower/eating less - I learned to serve myself a smaller portion than my 6 year old as I hated throwing food away. Even now I dont always manage everything on my plate but I have had to learn that a little bit of waste isnt the end of the world. To slow down your eating, put your fork down between mouthfulls. Count how many times you are chewing if that helps, and wait a good 10-20 seconds between swallowing and putting the next spoonfull into your mouth.

You'll be pleased to hear that as time goes on, you dont need to chew quite so much or eat quite so slowly.

Keep going though. You are doing fab.

What you're describing sounds a lot more like trapped wind than trapped food. Trapped wind happens very easily for the first 3-4 months, and is caused by eating too fast and not chewing well enough. It is painful and makes you feel like your pouch is very full and that you need to be sick. It is relieved by burping or bringing up whatever is in your tummy (as the air comes up with the food). The best way round it is to get someone to burp you like a baby!

When you have food stuck, it feels quite different, and it will always dislodge itself within a few hours. With stuck food, you can't eat or drink anything at all until it has worked free. Even a sip of water won't go down.

I've only had blocked food once, and it was horrid. Luckily it was in the evening, so I could ignore my thirst and just go to sleep, and by the morning it was clear. I stuck to liquids the next day, and soft foods for a couple of days, as the pouch gets swollen and irritated very easily.

Shel i have had trapped food twice, the second time i drank some milk and that came back before the food....

Thanks for the advice about eating slower. Sam as i said i think a whole apple was too much. I already give myself meals smaller than my 11 month old grandsons... It's a learning curve and i'm going to get there xxx

You will get used to the eating slower and chewing after a while it takes a bit of getting used to. I was terrible to start off with but the last thing i got stuck was smoked kipper and it was bloody horrible having kipper stuck and I learnt my lesson after that. I havent had any problems since and its been a few months now.

Hi There,

Can I just ask - you may have notice the post that I have just done - I think I have something stuck - but I have a band, is this the same kind of situation?
I just feel like nothing is going down and my mouth is constantly filling with saliva x

Back