• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

scared of being put to sleep!

tracyt84

hiya everyone,ok to cut a long story short ive never had surgery before and im having my gastric band fitted on saturday (5th may) and im brickin it! what does being put to sleep feel like and also what did everyone feel like when they woke up?thanks xxx

Don't worry! It's just like closing your eyes and falling asleep! When you wake up you feel a bit confused and very groggy, the best thing to do is just go with it and sleep it off! X

i thought id be ok about it but i havent had very long to prepare myself,only found out my date on thursday,i got a cancelation so was very lucky! what was the car journey like on the way home,im worried about seat belts n pain etc ,basically im worried about everythin xx

Think its our brain tries to overthink it and can't comprehend that we can just go off to sleep and wake up and will have had an op. Stay strong and confident think of all the good reasons you are having this op, its only the 2nd one i'v had, like above afterwards just so tired and sleepy just go with what your body is telling you. xxx good luck xx

Morning, it is really just as as someone said before like falling asleep! Then when u wake it's like someone has woken u in the middle of the night! As for the journey home the incisions don't seem to hurt that much as they are only small and the seat belt is fine! You may feel more pain from trapped wind so be sure to follow guidelines and take pain relief! Hope all goes well x

tracyt84 said:
i thought id be ok about it but i havent had very long to prepare myself,only found out my date on thursday,i got a cancelation so was very lucky! what was the car journey like on the way home,im worried about seat belts n pain etc ,basically im worried about everythin xx

Honestly....you have an injection, the nurses etc are talking to you etc at this point and you don't even know you're falling asleep...it's magic...you just go to sleep without knowing! When you then wake you will feel groggy so do as advised and sleep sleep sleep if that's what your body wants. Some of us wake and instantly feel sick from the anaesthetic but they give you a drug via your drip which cures that...again..magic! I was 45mins in theatre but to be honest slept or England rest of the night! Then it was home next morning.....that knocks you up a bit but nice to get back home and straight into your own bed. X

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

I didn't even know I was going out.

One minute the anesthetist was putting a cannula in my arm.

Next I was waking up after it was all done

thanks guys i feel a little better now :) mines a day surgery,im home same day,dont know if thats a good or bad thing xx

Just try to relax sometimes they give you a little bit of the drug to relax you before they put you out completely. Like most people have said it's just like drifting off to sleep I was quite awake when I got back from theatre and sat straight in the chair and went for a walk before settling down for the night. The journey home was fine just get the driver to avoid pot holes. Good luck so pleased for you that it has come around so soon for you. Wendy xx

Hey Tracy, like everyone has said, you just go to sleep without realising it, the next thing you know is, you're waking up. Leave a pillow in the car to put over your tummy on the journey home, some people say that really helps to stop the seat belt rubbing, good luck :) xxx

That cushion on the way home is like a super hero put it between you and the seat belt and it will protect you for the world :superwoman:...... well that's how I felt anyway :p
Hubby forgot my cushion after my tummy tuck 3 weeks ago I felt so vulnerable in the car on the way home.

I have to be honest and say I felt the same. And I still do! Not because its actually scary but just because I was scared of being asleep while they did all sorts to my tummy!

The anesthesiologist put the cannula in and was talking to me the whole time. Then put the oxygen mask on my face and my body just felt light and kind of far away, but I was still thinking and alert and then next thing I knew I was waking up post op.

tracy you will be fine you will worry over worrying we all do but on the 6th you will be posting on here what was all the fuss about i am fine, i have had never had a big op and was scared of waking up half way through and i told them this and they reassured me the operating staff have done this a million times let them know how you are feeling on the day but you may surprise your self and be very calm. xxx

It's quite a peaceful feeling to be honest,nothing to be afraid off.
I've been put to sleep about 5 times,and the nurses really help making you comfortable.

I would just like to say i waa erally concerned about coming round afterwards, i did like some othr people have on here and made sure that if the worst happened things were inplace to have my family looked after. My problem was about 20 years ago i had some polyps removed from my nose, when i went in to hosp. i had myblood taken but was never weighed i don't honestly think i had enough anasthetic, i can remeber coming round after the op but still had th etube down my throat i thought i was guna die, i said the Lords Prayer over and over they were saying not to panic but i was aware of thembefore they realised i was coming around i couldnt move to tell them, it was awful once they took that out they sat me up and i cried my eyes out for my parent swho were on holiday at the time and my hubby was at work. When I went in in August i told the anaesthetist what happened and he assured me that i would not know anything atall and he was right i knew nothing till they asked if i had any pain i said yes they said i coul have a shot of painkiller then i woke up gain and they took me back to the ward. I thanked them very much, they were really understanding, restored my faith xx

That's my fear too.

I can't wait for the op - it seriously can't come soon enough but I do worry that I won't wake up. I just can't wait for that part to be over (and the wind pain too - I'm a bit of a drama queen when it comes to pain) so that I can begin my new life.

I'm sure it'll all be over before you know it and on your way home again hun x

I had never had an op before , was so nervous & even wrote a will LOL
It was so quick & painless being put out for op & next thing I knew I was up on the ward surrounded by my family.
I was lucky had no pain etc. pleeeease try not to worry. Once you've had op it will be the start of a new beginning.

thanks so much for the helpful replies,im having it done at kings college hospital in london,ill defo updates yous all on the 6th to inform yous how it went :) xx

Back