• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

scared of being put to sleep!

Hi

With mine I remember them giving something that they said would make me feel drowsy, then the mask was put over my mouth and nose, then what felt like a millisecond later I was in the recovery ward and it was all done and dusted. It's quite odd being asleep for over two hours and not even having a dream or anything.

I even had a quick look just to check they had actually done my bypass because I didn't even have any pain, and to be honest I have not had any pain at all from this surgery. Everything healed up fine, no infections and no pain.

I bet the having the loose skin removed won't be like that though.

Paul

I've had 3 general anaesthetics in the last 4 months. The first was for major open surgery and I remember a lot including being terrified of the surgery itself, not the anaesthetic. I remember going into the actual theatre and being transferred to the bed while people buzzed around me getting ready. I don't remember the anaesthetic itself, it was done subtly and the next thing I remember was waking up in recovery and looking at the clock to work out how long I was out for.

The second one was for a quick wound clean out due to infection. Same story (same hospital and anaesthetist) except I didn't go into the theatre awake.

Third one was last week in Brno for my wrap. This time I don't remember ANYTHING!! I was given a pre-med on the ward, remember the staff coming to take me but that's it, nothing else. I don't remember being in the lift or anything until I woke up in ICU, not even recovery!! I'd been told exactly what would happen step by step but I didn't see any of it!! I was a lot more drowsy after this surgery - I don't know if that was the pre-med or different anaesthetic, I was quite alert quite quickly after the last 2.

So the long and short of it is that everyone is different and the same person can be very different with different approaches but none of it is unpleasant. The awake to sleep bit happens very quickly and in a calm environment. So really nothing to worry about.

Good luck :)

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

Back