• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Scared of giving up food?

Hi Twiggie,

Good post. I kept telling myself before hand that I've had too many years of enjoying too much yummy food and that's why I've ended up like this. Saying that, it seems I will still be able to eat yummy foods, just a little bit at a time. When I met with Lucy before I left the hospital she went through the stages of eating and gave me a booklet with some really yummy ideas in. I can't wait to start trying them in a few weeks.

Oh that's good. I'd forgotten about Lucy having not seen her since the first ever educational meeting lol Does she come up to the ward to see you before discharge then?

I am a real foodie, prior to surgery I was spending a lot of my time planning food or thinking about how to improve recipes. After surgery, it has been really bizarre, it has almost been like my brain was operated on rather than my stomach and they have switched off the food part. Now my focus is def on quality food rather than quantity.
Best of luck with your op, it's normal to have little wobbles along the way.
Bunny x

Oh that's good. I'd forgotten about Lucy having not seen her since the first ever educational meeting lol Does she come up to the ward to see you before discharge then?

Hi Twiggie,

She came and saw me a few times before I left. The first time I was still kind of out of it and she soon realised I wouldn't be leaving for a bit. She came back the day before I went home and spent a good 45 mins with me going through everything. Kirsten was off on training so Lucy also gave me lots of info from her too. She was lovely and really really helpful. I asked her all sorts of questions and she was able to answer them all.

Don't forget that you can ring her too. I spoke to her and emailed her several times when I was on the pre-op diet as I became a bit ill on it. She was great and changed the diet for me and kept reassuring me that it would all be fine (my liver fears!).

I hope you're feeling a bit better. I'm starting to feel better myself and getting over what happened a bit now xx

I'm so glad you're feeling better now hun :hug99:

I've got my pre-op tomorrow morning so just making sure I've got all my bits together and a list of questions I want to ask lol

How long does the pre-op usually take? I'm thinking maybe an hour or so but have no idea! Do I have to do a urine sample?

I'm so glad you're feeling better now hun :hug99:

I've got my pre-op tomorrow morning so just making sure I've got all my bits together and a list of questions I want to ask lol

How long does the pre-op usually take? I'm thinking maybe an hour or so but have no idea! Do I have to do a urine sample?

You go straight to the Pre-op nurses (no waiting at all when I went). They talk through your op, confirm various details and advise you on how many nights your expected stay will be. You then sign an agreement to stay this long (they advised me 3 nights). You can ask any questions there. They measure your height and weight again and give you details of the pre-op diet...the food one. I explained that I wanted to the liquid one and was told to contact Lucy directly (I did and she emailed it to me later).

Then they send you next door for blood tests. One of them is the normal one and the other is called an 'arterial stab' - i.e. needle in the artery of the wrist. Quite a painful one this and done by a doc. Sometimes you have to wait a while for the doc to be called (I waited about 10 mins for him). They wrap your wrist really tight after and that stops the pain. The doc takes your blood away and immediately spins it to check the oxygen levels. Results come back in about 10 mins and then they send you back downstairs for an ECG.

You take your ticket and wait for your number (bit like at the deli...lol). They wire you up and the test is done in less than 5 mins if you stay still. They print out the results there and then and you take them back up to the pre-op nurses. Then you're done!

Less than an hour in total for me (wasn't a busy day) and no urine samples! I suppose it might be different if you have diabetes or other things.

Hope that helps...don't worry about it at all!

That's a great help, thanks hun. I've had two ECGs already so I know where to go for those now. I am diabetic so they probably will want urine test. Not sure I like the sound of the arterial blood test though lol

Staying in for 3 nights would work out better for me, as there's a possibility I could arrange to get a lift home on a Friday. Mind you, if I have an experience like yours I'll be discharging myself after 24hours :8855:

You might be luckier than that really. Recently Mr Sufi's patients have only been staying a night or 2. Mr Heath operates on a Friday so there was no choice but to wait till at least Monday to go home.

Keep me posted on what they say x

Oh of course, I forgot you were under Heath. I'm more than happy to stay in just one night, assuming all goes well during surgery and I'm up walking about ok.

Back