• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sciatica

puddytats

So yesterday I started with sciatica type pain! This is not what I need, less than 3 weeks after surgery. I can barely walk at the moment, even though I know walking helps. Went to the coast today and managed about an hour and slept for 2 hours this afternoon!

Does anyone have any tips for sciatica?

Kellylou

With my last bout of sciatica I bought a cheap tens machine from Amazon! I found it really helped! X

countrywench

You have my sympathy hunny !
I had that a few years ago and wouldn't wish that in my worst enemy .. It's just the pits ..
I had a course of Valium to relax the muscles but if you don't have any then a glass of alcohol will hell to relax the muscles .. And sleep with a pillow under your knees also ..
I wish you a really speedy recovery
Xxxx

puddytats

Thanks all. I spent a good couple of hours using what I got from Youtube massaging it. It's ok today so far. I can't get to my GP at the moment as I'm at my mums and can't drink alcohol as I'm only 2 1/2 weeks post op!

I have considered a physio and have sourced some where my parents are just in case. I can also have a word with my osteo about it, when I get home!

SAM55

Thanks all. I spent a good couple of hours using what I got from Youtube massaging it. It's ok today so far. I can't get to my GP at the moment as I'm at my mums and can't drink alcohol as I'm only 2 1/2 weeks post op!

I have considered a physio and have sourced some where my parents are just in case. I can also have a word with my osteo about it, when I get home!

I have bouts of sciatica and when I had my most recent about a month ago, a friend who also suffers suggested I tried tennis balls, or other hardish rubber balls of that size! Slide them/it (depending on if it is both sides or one) under your buttocks to the point where the pain is. (As you have a medical background you may be aware of the piriformis muscle) It opens up the muscles where the nerve is trapped and offers some reasonable relief. Normally I would recommend a type of massage called myofascial release (MFR) as this has worked brillianty for me, but like most massages there are contraindications in the first six weeks after surgery.

I have also used a Tens machine.

Hope it soon passes.

puddytats

I have bouts of sciatica and when I had my most recent about a month ago, a friend who also suffers suggested I tried tennis balls, or other hardish rubber balls of that size! Slide them/it (depending on if it is both sides or one) under your buttocks to the point where the pain is. (As you have a medical background you may be aware of the piriformis muscle) It opens up the muscles where the nerve is trapped and offers some reasonable relief. Normally I would recommend a type of massage called myofascial release (MFR) as this has worked brillianty for me, but like most massages there are contraindications in the first six weeks after surgery.

I have also used a Tens machine.

Hope it soon passes.

Thanks Sam. I tried the tennis ball yesterday and it didn't really work because the pain was higher up and I couldn't sit on it. I keep massaging it, around the muscles, whose names I have no idea of, as I saw on youtube and it is much better than it was. As it is so deep, I used the end of a roll on deodorant, so I could out more pressure on it (with cream for movement). That seemed to work and I'll continue for now, so that it doesn't twinge any more. I can't lie on my front yet, so massage isn't an option - yet!

LittleMissNom

You can get a roll on deep heat cream from boots (it's herbal fragrance so much more pleasant) don't know if it will help sciatica but has recently helped my back ache and the application sounds very much like the roll on bottle you using. Means it doesn't get on your hands too :)

countrywench

Oh my gosh you have my sympathy .. I've had this only the once in my life time and don't ever want it again . I'd rather have a tooth pulled without painkiller ..
Doctor gave me some high based painkillers and Valium .. The Valium serves to relax the muscles and stop them going into spasms ..
He suggested I sleep on myback and put a pillow under my knees as he said this puts the pelvis flat to the mattress instead of curving it upwards when your knees are flat to mattress .. It actually helped a lot ..
I really hope this doesn't last long for you ..
Xxxxxx

puddytats

It went within a few days thankfully. I think massaging it with the deodorant can (roll on) and cream really helped because I could get deeper into the muscle. However I'm aware that it could happen again so trying to keep everything moving!

Thanks x

FeeBee

So glad you're feeling much better. It's such a miserable pain and it affects my sleep too so adds extra exhaustion to the mix, just what we need!
I had a really bad attack last week too. I'm already on morphine, tramadol and diazepam so it wasn't helping too much. I found some great stretches on the NHS website that helped and I also walked as much as I could and didn't stay sat in one position too long and it's seemed to have gone. I was dreading it going on for weeks as that's what the NHS site said! Tenns machines can be really useful too.