• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Scotland...

Shauna

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself and ask for a bit of advice and support
Here's a bit about me and my weight history-i'm 31 and have PCOS, currently weigh 20 stone with a BMI of 45. No children but would like them in the next few years. Was always a very slim child and teenager, at 18 I weighed around 8.5 stones. Have successfully lost weight in the past, usually around 2-3 stones but have never been able to stick to the diet plan as it has been too restrictive.

I've done alot of research into WLS over the years and decided that a gastric band is the best option for me as it's reversible and less invasive. I'm in a very fortunate position and have unexpectedly come into a small sum of money which means I'm able to go private as my Dr has never taken my weight problem seriously. I just get told to stop eating.

I'm slightly concerned about going under anaesthetic at my size and have thought about gastric balloon or hypno band as a first stage to get my weight down to prepare for surgery. Has anyone else done this or am I just being ridiculous?

I'm based in Scotland, but also open to having the surgery done by a reputable surgery in Europe.

Sorry my post is so long and thanks for reading...

Shauna x

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Shauna and welcome!

First things first, I've edited your post to remove your request for recommendations and prices of surgeons in Europe. That isn't what the forum is about and I wouldn't want anyone making such a drastic decision based on the opinion of a complete stranger. Plus and this is why we don't allow people to promote, some surgeons offer financial incentives for recommendations.

Right, now that that's out of the way, you say you have researched WLS and that the band would be best for you as it's reversible? Bands are inserted with the assumption that they won't be removed unless there's an issue with them in the future. This in itself is another consideration as people with bands can and do experience problems which result in them being removed. I have first hand experience of this and had become seriously ill.

I now have a sleeve and life is good again. My advice would be to research some more, especially on the success rates of the band with people of the same starting weight as you. Speak to some providers and let them help you chose the best option for you, which is probably going to be to get the right op the first time.

Good luck! X

Thanks Mazza , thank you for so much for the advice. I hadn't looked in depth at the sleeve or bypass as the appeal of the band for me is that if there were to be any complications then I could have it removed or emptied. I think the thought of a permanent change scares me a bit. But I'll certainly go and look more into it. I've booked a consultation for the beginning of December , I'm excited! x

Hi and welcome. I'm inclined agree with Mazza. I'm still pre op but after much research decided that bands were not for me. Whilst they do work for a number of people, there seems to be far too many complications and issues for my liking and many NHS trusts have even stopped doing them. I hope you manage to find a solution you're happy with.

Hi Shauna and welcome,

You have definitely come to the right place for advice. I don't know what I would have done without this forum before my surgery and up until now.

I completely agree with Mazza and you will definitely be told this several times on this site but research is key. if you think you've done enough, do some more.

Much like the sleeve and bypass, the band is not for everyone. The results are very different so it's really important to manage your expectations. I know a lot of private hospitals websites have tools to help you estimate what you are likely to lose, and a realistic timeframe depending on whether you stick to a plan and your start weight etc.

Weight loss surgery is absolutely not an easy option, and if you have had previous success, with weight loss then its a good idea to try it some more before you sign on the dotted line. I had never had any success with weight loss. The most I had managed to lose was 1stone through weight watchers but that was over months of really really hard work. I also have PCOS so can definitely sympathise with your situation.

I made my decision on which surgery to have based on what I expected. I think if you have anything up to 7 stone to lose, then the Band might be a good option, find a good surgeon and ask lots of questions, don't look at the price tag because if you're paying the cheapest, you're likely to get the cheapest service. The band has extensive aftercare, you need a minimum of 2 years of aftercare before you might even reach your sweet spot so maybe if you decide on the band, try and keep it in the UK so you have the help on hand afterwards.

The bypass and sleeve are the much harder surgeries of the 3 and you must be 100% sure that you are ready to make the commitment that is involved. The band can be labelled as 'reversible' because you can potentially back out of it once it's done, however as Mazza mentioned, they are designed to stay in forever, but you have the option to be completely de-filled so they do not offer any restriction. This is not an option with a bypass or a sleeve.

You mentioned the balloon, my surgeon answered some questions on this for my sister during my consultation and it is apparently only affective if you want to lose a small amount of weight in a short period of time.

Don't worry about going under anaesthetic. The anaesthetists are very good at what they do and you will be given a lovely sleep :)

Hope this helps a little and if you have any more questions, just ask away to everyone, the people on here are sooo helpful.!

Hi and welcome, I can only echo what the others have said re choice of surgery, I will say research research research research and then research some more, I really wouldn’t worry about the anaesthetic, if there was a huge risk they won’t do it but I think it’s normal to question absolutely everything pre-op.
Good luck please keep in touch xx

Welcome and good luck with your journey. As the others say please research as much as you can. From my point of view I chose the bypass as I have a very sweet tooth and also have reflux. I wanted something permanent as I was unable to keep weight off and was finally so depressed and fed up with myself that I needed something to help me once and for all but it is a tool only and everyone has to work with it to lose weight and keep it off. Good luck and let us know how you get on xxx

Hi and welcome as all the others have said sweetheart research is the key xx

I just wanted to thank everyone that replied to my post, without you all I don't think I would have even looked in depth at the sleeve. Every time I done research I'd immediately be put off by thought of it being irreversible, but I've sat in front of my computer for the past week and watched hours worth of vlogs and read hundreds of pages of diaries. I've come to realise that the risk of complications with a band post surgery just isn't worth it. I'm so so glad that you all told me to do more research! I've now contacted the company I'm going with to let them know that my consultation will now be for a sleeve rather than the band. Again thank you so much!

I just wanted to thank everyone that replied to my post, without you all I don't think I would have even looked in depth at the sleeve. Every time I done research I'd immediately be put off by thought of it being irreversible, but I've sat in front of my computer for the past week and watched hours worth of vlogs and read hundreds of pages of diaries. I've come to realise that the risk of complications with a band post surgery just isn't worth it. I'm so so glad that you all told me to do more research! I've now contacted the company I'm going with to let them know that my consultation will now be for a sleeve rather than the band. Again thank you so much!
I’m so pleased that you’ve taken our advice, it’s good to know that we are of some use, I honestly wish you every good luck and can only add......keep on researching, there is so much to learn about living with upyou weight loss “tool”
Please keep in touch xx

I'm so excited now, my consultation on 6th Dec just can't come quick enough! I wanted to wait til January but now it just seems so far away! Will start a proper diary on here as soon as I've had my consultation and booked my surgery xx

Good for you!
Research is the key and as others have said continue to research it is great to have all the facts x

I'm so excited now, my consultation on 6th Dec just can't come quick enough! I wanted to wait til January but now it just seems so far away! Will start a proper diary on here as soon as I've had my consultation and booked my surgery xx

Soooo very pleased for you hun it will soon come around :). Keep posting anytime you don’t have to wait till you have your surgery or consultation for that matter. Come join the gang! Xx

Congratulations on making your decision. The band is definitely not for everyone, but neither is the sleeve or bypass so it's what suits the individual I suppose. The success of the bypass and sleeve ladies on here is really inspirational so i really look forward to reading your own success story :)

Back