• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

scottish health care trust

minxtress

Hi
Does anyone know the way the Scottish PCTs work with regards to wight loss surgery?
I have a friend in the Coatbridge area, who has been to her doctor twice now to be referred and he has refused.
Id love to be able to give her some information to go armed with when she goes back next time.
Thanks

Really late reply, I only just saw this, Scottish hospitals don't work the same as English, if you are approved for surgery you are approved for funding, its dealt all one package deal... There is no separate funding and surgical approval. At least thats the case as far as I am aware.

The best thing for her to do would be to contact her NHS group, I fall under NHS Grampian, and ask them their requirements for referral to Bariatric surgery

Brilliant thanks for that x

Hi, just seen your post.
I'm from Glasgow and was refused point blank for any funding for surgery or follow-up plastics. Sorry if that is bad news and maybe if your friend has any health issues, she may get a different decision than I did but my GP says that WLS is just not being funded in our area.
Just a note but if I was her, I'd try another GP - the decision to refer is the GPs but the decision to fund is not.
I ended up paying privately with the amazing Mr Ammori at the Spire in Manchester.
Best of luck. Biggy x

im from lothians and they follow the tier system which if you get on can take 2 -3 years

She does have other health issues she ha a large tumour removed from her hips which causes terrible mobility problems and the more weight she puts on the harder she finds it. Her oncologist on Newcastle suggested she asked her doc as it would help her loads but doc refused point blank. She is seeing oncologist again in may so going to try her again thanks for the replies

Back