• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Seeing GP on Thursday to ask for referral. Any tips?

Sambucca

Hi Guys

Thanks for your help and advice so far on my other thread. I have plucked up courage and made an appointment to see my GP on Thursday to ask him to refer me.

I already know that I meet the PCT criteria (NICE guidelines) as my BMI is 42. I just wondered if any of you can give me any tips when speaking to the GP. Ive never been a "doctor botherer" and am getting myself really worked up about this.

What kind of objections might he have? I want to have all the answers ready and show that I have put a lot of thought into it before seeing him.

Will it be enough to tell him what diets I have tried in the past, and what effect my weight is having on my life - ie short of breath, bad back, low self esteem etc etc..

Would really appreciate your replies. Im trying to make a list of everything because I know I am going to get upset when I see the doctor and I want to make sure I dont forget anything.

Cheers x

Hi
Doctors arnt daft and will listen to you but in the end it does depend how good your gp is.
I have been on xenical and reductil for over 3 years and was reffered a few montsh ago.
I have started a weight management course which my PCT salford is.
I have to be on this 6 montsh and will then be put forward to teh surgeon
I have my 2nd appointment next week. My first appointment she asked ;

Heaviest weight
lightest adult weight
when did i bocome fat (worded much better than that)
I have kept a food diary for a very long time so she looked at this and made suggestions and improvements - so it might be an idea for you to do one of these for the next few days.
I have to have 3 meals a day
cut out all sugar in drinks (i only have half a spoon though)
what diets I have been on, which ones worked which ones didnt.

When I spoke to my GP a long toime ago (almost 4 years) I spoke about how it affected my life and my feelings and was told to lose 5lb then be put on weight loss drugs.
HTH
and good luck

thank you for quick reply. Have tried both reductil and xenical and neither of them worked for me, so I hope he doesnt try to fob me off with that again.

Do you know if all PCT's do the weight management thing first? I dont know if I can face another 6 months trying to lose weight before the GP will refer me

No its just Salford as far as I can see most do the nice guidelines which is mostly your BMI
I knwo 6 montsh is so unfair
xx
just be honest with your gp and he will see how serious you are

sorry to shamelessly bump my own thread, but does anyone else have any advice for me please :)

Hiya i am sorry i do not have any advice but just wanted to wish you luck!!
Her is the link for the BOSPA website BOSPA - The British Obesity Surgery Patient Association What part of brum are you from?? It says on there about birmingham east and north but i am not sure about birmingham south and west!!!:confused:
Good luck anyway ;)
Xxx Lizzie xxX

thank you Lizzie, I am from Sutton Coldfield which comes under Bham East and NOrth.

where did you have your Op?

Hiya I'm also from Birmingham, not too far from yourself. My sister in law tried all of the things you have and with a little persistence she was referred to a surgeon who agreed that she was a good candidate for a gastric band.

The worst he can do is say no..... so go along, tell him you know the risks and that, to you, they are worth it.

Good luck x

I wrote things down as I always get flustered when talking to the doctor. LOL

You seem to have the right ideas. If you read the NICE details you will see that you are entitled to see a consultant once your BMI reaches a certain point. You could always go that way if all else fails but hopefully you wont need to do that.

I had already discussed surgery with the nurse at my surgery, she advised me which doctor to talk to about being referred I made the appointment and he referred me without any problems...you may find the PCT is the hard part not the GP...good luck chick..xx

thanks for all your replies girls. much appreciated xx

Hi if your gp is anything like the first one i saw you will need to take copies of the nice recommendations and also a copy of the pct criteria have all the points you want to raise written donwn so that you dont forget any have you any of the comorbidities that were mentioned in another thread I will find it and post the link, I am from birmingham north and east and am just waiting for apporval from pct, forearmed is forewarned if you go in having done your research you will hopefully earn a fair trial from your gp as they will know that you are serious and know its the last resort and you its not the easy route, just be honest and state the facts. Hope this helps. If I can help further just let me know.
http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/66712-co-morbidities-respect-weight-loss-surgery.html

Last edited:
thank you Lizzie, I am from Sutton Coldfield which comes under Bham East and NOrth.

where did you have your Op?

I had mine in manchester, but is only because i went private. If i waited to have it done on the NHS where i live, the process could have taken 2 years with no garantee with getting the funding at the end of it. So i decided to go private- i was left some money by a great-uncle and i thought i would put it to good use!
Good luck! :)

Xxx Lizzie xxX

ooh Tesmaralda thanks v much for that. I hadnt considered printing off the info to take with me and it will show that I have researched it properly.

Did your GP have to apply for funding before referring you to surgeon, or does it work the other way, ie surgeon first and then apply for funding. Its all so confusing and seems to vary from area to area, but as you are from same PCT as me I guess my process will be similar to yours.

well it depends on your gp i was sent first and have been accepted by hospital but no funding hospital have said funding not a problem but don't want to get hopes up yet brunette and red had her funding approved and then sent to walsall so its a question you might want to ask your gp. I know its so confusing and frustrating fingers crossed, wot surgery are you under and where about is brum are you im kingstanding

im in sutton coldfield so not far from you at all, my surgery is in Walmley. I grew up in KS!

I grew up in KS!

Me too!

Great advice from Terri there. The care pathway for obesity referral is very bumpy and does seem to vary across GP's let alone PCTs!

BEN seems to refer first, get acceptance fron the surgeon and then approve funding (or not, as the case may be). Most odd amnd I have to say, cag-handed. To be referred, be accepted for syrgery and then potentially get a funding rejection is bordering on cruel IMHO. :mad:

I agree, it would be cruel if surgeon said yay and then PCT say Nay... still, will try and get over first hurdle with GP first on Thurs. Am kacking myself lol

Back