• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How to ask the GP, scared

PyroMan

Hiya

Very nervous person around doctors etc, typical bloke that avoids doctors unless I'm dying etc (which I probably am tragically!). It's not helped by fact I had to move recently and as I crossed a border I had to change from family GP. So now I a new GP and surgery that doesn't know me from Adam meaning asking for a refer when they never even met me before!

I am 39 and been over BMI of 55 for 8-9years, I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine etc. it was my sleep clinic consultant that's been pushing for me to consider WLS but he says I need to do through GP etc.

I am terrified of appointment, so much I cancelled 3 so far just putting it off! But tonight I have another appointment at GPs (who I never met etc!) and just don't know how to walk in , sit down and blurt out "can you refer me to WLS" thanks ?

I am in Kent so if that helps, really appreciate help and some courage !

EDIT: Mods, tried to post twice, didn't show up? Apologises if duplicates

just do that

"hi doc I need help my apnoea doc thinks I should refer for wls can you help me"

honestly I know where your coming from anything I am putting off I look at the clock and go right do it now 10 mins it will be over with...

good luck be strong and do it

jo x

I hear you, but stick to the appointment.

Explain that your doc that you see for your Apnea believes that wls could be an intervention that would help you and asked you to see your GP for referral - as good a start as any :)

Hi PyroMan, welcome to the forum. Whatever your fears you will find lots of support here from like minded people who really understand.
As far as your new GP is concerned, if he is any good, he will be fully supportive in helping you so don't worry. Good luck.

EDIT: Mods, tried to post twice, didn't show up? Apologises if duplicates

Moderator here ;)

Hi, you have posted twice but from two separate accounts, this one and lonestar.

Can you let me know which one you want to keep - user account, that is.

Good luck with your appointment!

Moderator here ;)

Hi, you have posted twice but from two separate accounts, this one and lonestar.

Can you let me know which one you want to keep - user account, that is.

Good luck with your appointment!

Very confused! I started on the iphone app, and it logged me in itself somehow? I never entered any login credentials, very odd, doesn't seem to let me change login options either!

I am Pyroman thanks, the bizarre impostor can be deleted thanks, sadly i might be deleting the phone app too, weird..

i don't do the phone app either pyroman :)

Very confused! I started on the iphone app, and it logged me in itself somehow? I never entered any login credentials, very odd, doesn't seem to let me change login options either!

I am Pyroman thanks, the bizarre impostor can be deleted thanks, sadly i might be deleting the phone app too, weird..

Yes the app will automatically log you in to whichever account you used when you signed up to it.

No problem I will delete Lonestar :D

Yes the app will automatically log you in to whichever account you used when you signed up to it.

No problem I will delete Lonestar :D

Can you delete the random other duplicate topic, confusing. Apologises still confused! lol

Right so i went and saw the new GP, seems a nice chap.

So good and bad news, well more good but still not ideal. His first reaction was "ok, but might take a year or so of you doing diet plan etc first. They wont even entertain you as a referral otherwise" But then he weighed me and chatted about my apnea and consultants advice etc and he seemed more swayed.

He is insisting i try Orlistat for a while, which i was dreading as i have heard horror stories of "accidents" etc, so mixed thoughts on that insistence, i haven't picked up the script from chemists as yet. He has also referred me back to the local hospitals dieticians for advice on diet! :( even though i had 6 appointments with them last year and had no joy!

He has however referred me as well to the nearest bariatric unit, i actually sat there as he dictated letter so i heard what he said. He advised them that he was referring me for possible surgery but also trying me on Orlistat and dieticians, but he stated at end of referral letter that he felt in the long run surgery would be needed and to start the referral process.

So mixed feelings, he's referring me to surgery unit which is great news, but insisting i try this horror drug and go back to dieticians to be told the plain obvious isnt ideal.

But hey its a start, spent a year "thinking" about surgery etc, and finally i may be on the way... No doubt a very long way!

We all have to jump through hoops. It's worth it.

No doubt you will hear from more people that have gone the NHS route but it sounds to me that you have got exactly what you wanted ie a referral. Clearly your GP isn't going to say " ok you can go away now and put some more weight on until your referral comes through". He is simply saying that the journey(hate that word) starts now! Well done on taking the first step.

Hi :) as long as u keep to the rules of low fat ect u should b fine with the orlistat.
Just make sure u got to the toilet even to break wind just incase lol

The drug if used properly is quite effective. I lost 3 stone on orlistat, but put it one once I stopped, so its not great long term. Just keep your fat intake VERY low, and you should be fine. Its all part of the process, look at it as a way of proving you are serious about lifestyle change.

What worries me is my diet if i am frankly honest is very fatty right now. Afraid half of my weight issues is the fact i food-phobic / fussy and rarely eat any "healthy" food or much fruit/veg etc. So simply saying avoid fat or have an accident kind of leaves me feeling "well what the hell do i eat then"..

I know diet needs to change etc and im working on getting some more healthy options etc into my meals, but to start taking a pill today and have no fat leaves me eating not a lot. So i going to have to google some meal ideas and options tonight and see what i like and is possible that might be safe.

My job doesn't help, work as a field engineer, so travel a lot on long journeys and work in schools / shops / hospitals etc and often cant just run to the loo so fast.

Ah hmm

I've a lot of experience with Orlistat having been on it off and on for literally years. It does make you think very carefully about what you eat but I can honestly say I never had a totally embarrassing moment but did have a bit of a nasty experience in the privacy of my hotel room after having burger and chips in New York. That experience kept me on the straight and narrow after that! You will be most sensitive to fat in the early days so make sure you keep to low fat foods and you will be fine. You will soon learn what you can and can' teat.

I to am very fussy and didn't mind fruit but hated veg and wont go near salad! but I've had to learn to eat it. I eat some veg now still wouldn't touch salad. Just go low Fat in everything or fat free. I think they allow 15g fat per meal (it's been awhile so mite b wrong) so just add as u go. So I have like grilled chicken and veg. Small portions. ww yogurts with fruit, cracker bread. Sugar free jelly stuff like that. U learn to read the labels. Mayb just try it and c how u go. Even after surgery u r going to have to eat healthy and make good choices so ur gona have to start sometime mite as well b now lol

What worries me is my diet if i am frankly honest is very fatty right now. Afraid half of my weight issues is the fact i food-phobic / fussy and rarely eat any "healthy" food or much fruit/veg etc. So simply saying avoid fat or have an accident kind of leaves me feeling "well what the hell do i eat then"..

I know diet needs to change etc and im working on getting some more healthy options etc into my meals, but to start taking a pill today and have no fat leaves me eating not a lot. So i going to have to google some meal ideas and options tonight and see what i like and is possible that might be safe.

My job doesn't help, work as a field engineer, so travel a lot on long journeys and work in schools / shops / hospitals etc and often cant just run to the loo so fast.

Ah hmm

You will need to make significant changes to your diet when you have surgery anyway, so this is the chance to work with what is being suggested. If you're not able to make those changes, to jump through those hoops, but more so to make the ongoing life changes that are needed with any form of wls then they aren't likely to fund you.

The surgery itself, is not just the answer, they all take a LOT of work, a lot of changes, and a huge change in the food and how we eat - if you're unable to make those changes now, surgery won't work for you.

If you let us know, maybe even in a separate post, the foods that you don't eat or do eat, then I'm sure together we can come up with some recipes etc. which can work for you, for your job.

But, otherwise we go along making excuses for why we can't do something and then we end up in an even worse position - I did when I finally had my surgery weighing at 24 stone! I went private because when I approached my GP they sat there and laughed out loud at me!

Who's laughing now? :)

I'm afraid sorting out your diet does need to be your priority, because even if you had surgery, eating a poor quality diet would leave you at best feeling rubbish and at worst very ill. Have you considered asking your GP for CBT for your phobia?
WLS has helped me get my head around the idea of eating for health, so now food isn't just something to be enjoyed, its something to feed me and make me healthy. But it didn't happen overnight after my surgery, it started years ago before I even considered wls, when I first went of drug therapy. This is why WLS is a journey for so many of us.
Personally I would say, give the drugs a go, modify you diet accordingly. Its the first step towards a new you.

Ah hmm

Surgery isn't the answer if you can't work on your diet. I don't understand people saying they don't like fruit and veg. How?! There's loads to choose from. I don't like tomatoes or cauliflower or bananas but i love courgette, broccoli, strawberries, rhubarb etc.

Work on your diet. You may as well start now so you have more time to adjust.

Back