• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Self help books

SHARONA

Hi all any one read any great uplifting inspirational or self help bariatric surgery books that will keep me motivated and inspired please? These can range from anything from keeping you motivated through pre op diet, life after, exercise and new body, surgery it self diet , suggested meals or inspirational stories of success etc etc please.

Hi there were 2 'self help' books recommended by the bariatric nurse at the hospital, they were the emotional first aid kit by Cynthia Alexander (I had already downloaded this on kindle and found it quite interesting). The other was cut down to size by jenny Radcliffe. I hope this helps xxx

I agree with the cynthia alexander one

I love these books now :)

I went to a talk that Jenny Radcliffe did at St George's. Her book is good.

I quite like David Gillespie's books. Down to earth.

Also Lee Janology - Only Fat People Skip Breakfast.

And Judith Mills - Food Bible & Diet Bible.

I'm reading Michael Pollan - In Defence of Food at the moment.

Thank you so much for replying all will be def looking at these books . Its always good to know others have read them and found them useful . Thanks so much . How are you all in your WL journeys ?

Mindful Eating: Free Yourself from Overeating and Other Unhealthy Relationships with Food

Think I'm going to get a couple
Of these. LSD starts a week tomorrow for 2 weeks. Anything to keep me more focused and on track.

I'm on day 6 of my 14 day slimfast (4 a day) LSD and it's going great, I thought it would be so tough but actually it's been a breeze, like a switch has been turned on in my head, I know I can't eat and thought that would make it harder, as we always want what we can't have, but actually it's just fact and that's it! Haven't felt hungry at all and lost 11 lb which helps to keep going too!

Good luck everyone xxx

I'm on day 6 of my 14 day slimfast (4 a day) LSD and it's going great, I thought it would be so tough but actually it's been a breeze, like a switch has been turned on in my head, I know I can't eat and thought that would make it harder, as we always want what we can't have, but actually it's just fact and that's it! Haven't felt hungry at all and lost 11 lb which helps to keep going too! Good luck everyone xxx
wow well done mybeaut I'm going to do slim fast and one eve meal of300 cal a day . So glad there is some one else who's motivated by this diet. Can you eat an apple or carrot in between meals? Best wishes with the rest of your journey.

I'm thinking - more reading - less eating - more reading - more motivation - less eating - nearly there - nearly there.

wow well done mybeaut I'm going to do slim fast and one eve meal of300 cal a day . So glad there is some one else who's motivated by this diet. Can you eat an apple or carrot in between meals? Best wishes with the rest of your journey.

Thank you sharona, no I'm not allowed any food at all just 4 shakes, tea, coffee, nas squash and water but I really don't even feel hungry, it's very odd xx

Mrs Z what does your pre op diet consist of? I bet your getting excited now too-nearly there! Xx

Absolutely loads. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to eat all of it every day.

4x portions of protein
(One portion - 100g lean meat, 125g tinned tuna, 2 eggs, 100g quorn)

3x portions of dairy
(One portion - 100g cottage cheese, 50g low fat cheese spread, 125g low fat yoghurt, 1/3 pint skimmed milk)

2x portions of fruit
(One portion - small banana, apple, orange, 1/2 tin toms, handful grapes, tablespoon dried fruit, 100ml fruit juice)

2x portions potatoes, pasta, rice,cereal
(One portion - slice of bread, 2 egg sized potatoes, 3 tablespoons rice-pasta-cereal, 1 weetabix, 2 crispbreads)

1.5-2L fluids minimum
Including mineral water, soda water, marmite, oxo, tea, coffee, sugar free and diet drinks.

Unlimited veg and salad with the exception of sweetcorn, avacado and beans.

Seems such a lot.

I asked about Slim Fast but the nurse said this was the only option and they have found it to work.

It's only two weeks of my life and gets me a step closer to my goal.

It doesn't seem too bad a lot better than the space food packs I've lived on during the last few years!
How long will you be in hospital for? Xx

Absolutely loads. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to eat all of it every day.

4x portions of protein
(One portion - 100g lean meat, 125g tinned tuna, 2 eggs, 100g quorn)

3x portions of dairy
(One portion - 100g cottage cheese, 50g low fat cheese spread, 125g low fat yoghurt, 1/3 pint skimmed milk)

2x portions of fruit
(One portion - small banana, apple, orange, 1/2 tin toms, handful grapes, tablespoon dried fruit, 100ml fruit juice)

2x portions potatoes, pasta, rice,cereal
(One portion - slice of bread, 2 egg sized potatoes, 3 tablespoons rice-pasta-cereal, 1 weetabix, 2 crispbreads)

1.5-2L fluids minimum
Including mineral water, soda water, marmite, oxo, tea, coffee, sugar free and diet drinks.

Unlimited veg and salad with the exception of sweetcorn, avacado and beans.

Seems such a lot.

Sounds like a very nice diet!!!! :) :) :)

i only let to have a 100g of lean meat for lunch and dinner together (50g for lunch and 50g for dinner) :) but i am not complaining. Doing well so far (only day 4) :)

Back