• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Self Destruction Vs Slimming World Vs Weight Watchers?????

Rolanda

Hi all, I hope I have posted this in the right area asnd if I have not then I hope I don't offend anyone.

This could be a long post so apologies in advance.....

From Aug 09 to July 10 I lost 2 stones, not really sure how? I was taking Xenical on and off but not sticking to any diet or doing anything out of ordinary. In July I asked my doc about wls and she was happy to refer me. I had my seminar in Sunderland in October.
After my seminar I was feeling really motivated but this quickly turned into self loathing and I started to eat and eat and eat. (this is a pattern I have recognised in myself but don't know why I do it).
I went to see diabetic nurse in November who told me that my bloods had shown some issues with my kidneys and that I was very anemic. She gave me iron tablets for the anemia. I also told her that I needed a foot up my rear end to get me motivated again. So she gave me a prescription for more xenical and a referral for Slimming World.
Off I went all excited for my first night but got weighed and weighed 8lbs more than I had previously!!!! So came home, never even opened the info book let alone read it.
This was 4 weeks ago and I have not been back to the class. I still have the vouchers from the doc becuase it was a 12 week referral so if I could pluck up courage I could go back, but, I have not heard a word from the consultant asking where I have been or if I am managing on the plan so my nose is a bit out of joint, silly I know but there you go.
Thing is when I am feeling low like this I stop taking my tablets, the diabetes, anti depressants and xenical. My sensible head tells me take them and then start to put things into perspective but the little devil in my head is telling me to just keep eating, literally until I feel sick and like and can burst!! Stupid aren't I!!!!
Gosh, the reason I posted this thread was to ask you all yr opinions on WW and SW as not sure if I should return to SW or go and join WW for a new start but I am just wallowing in self pity.
I have an appointment to go to SRH on 14th January 2011 to see the nurse (not sure why) but I am really scared that I will keep eating and have put lots of weight on and then not get any help from Sunderland. I know I must have put some weight on because my clothes feel tighter but I have not had the courage to go face the scales at the doctors surgery.
Sorry for waffling and I really hope I have not upset anyone.
Mods if you feel you need to remove my thread I will understand.
Theresa

Don't be silly.. why would they want to remove your post!? This forum is here to give everyone support and encouragement and a shoulder to cry on (so to speak) if you need one!

I certainly can relate to what you are saying. It is the mental stress that comes with dieting that is the WORST (besides gaining more and more weight).

I'm certainly no expert, what I would say is try not to look back all the time. Draw a line, if you can, and look forward. Tomorrow is another new day and you can start all over! Nobody's judging you for what you've done or not done before, other than yourself right now. So stop that lady ;)

I know it's hard to stick to any kind of diet, at this time of year, harder than other times. But it can be done! Start anew and take your meds, and focus on one meal at a time and making the right choices. Then pick a slimming club of your choice and go to the next meeting. To me they are the same in terms of what they offer, but you may have a preference. You can totally do this girl. And then.. when the meeting with the nurse comes around in January, you can demonstrate that you have picked yourself up, dusted yourself off, and done what's right for you.

We will be here to cheer you on :)

:flowers:

Tbh i've done both and both have good merit. SW is great if you can do red and green as you can eat to satisfaction. WW is good if you manage your points well with good choice....

Alternatively why not nip onto food focus and (www.foodfocus.co.uk) and before you register put in your details and your goal and it will work it out how many cals a day you should have. Then you can register (which is free) and log your food daily so you stick with the calories. It's free and will encourage you to exercise if you want to also..... Maybe then you could pop the £4 or whatever the going rate for sw/ww is into a jar and buy yourself something to treat hard work? You can weigh in at Boots for 50p xxxx ps good luck xx

Ive been where you are so many times and I know how horrible it is so firstly heres a (HUG) Ive not done WW's diet so cant comment on that but I did SW and lost nearly 10 stones on it so I know that works! I found it pretty easy to stick to aswell as you never ever have to be hungry. I ate lots and lots of food and always lost weight. Personally I think its the mental side you are finding the hardest, I always did too, once I got my head "right" I was good to go! Try and focus on the positive things weightloss can bring, more mobility, more confidence, nicer clothes etc. rather than thinking how hard it is to achieve. I hope you can motivate yourself a little bit, just enough to get you back through the door of the SW class, maybe once you see how well you can do on the plan you will feel better each week. Stay in touch, we are all here to help if we can (HUGS) XX

Tbh I think you keep thinking I will only fail in the end so why bother?Am I right,cos thats what i have done in the past.Its a bad time of the year to start a 'diet' so just be sensible,you know what you should and shouldnt eat.Cut the carbs right back and up the protien,drink loads of PLAIN water,at least 2lts.It will seem a lot but get a sport bottle and swig all day.It will keep you full,flush your system etc.Dont be your own worse enemy,you CAN do this.Have a little of everything you fancy for xmas,cut it up,make it last.I have frozen chocolate and sucked a little for a treat.Alcohol can be diluted with lots of slimline mixer.Dont say I cant have,say I can have some!Best of luck I know you can do it.Maz x

Hi Theresa - You have had some real good advice from your friends on here!

You know we are all behind you and support you.

You are going through what a lot of us have dealt with in the past. My self - destruct button was going into freefall before I found out about bariatric surgery. Once I felt I could do something for myself to improve my future, it helped me focus.

Dont give up hun, do this for you and for your beautiful children, as they want to see their mum healthy and happy.

If you need us - we are here for you! pm me if you want to talk privately, I`ll give you my phone number.

Thinking of you hun x

Love Kat x

Good luck hun . . I have been there and done that so many times I cant remember. I think it is the word 'diet' that used to send me on a downward spiral into doing it - then breaking it - the bingeing as it didnt matter I had broken the diet anyway (or at least that was my logic!)

I know its hard but Big and Bouncy's advice is good - just treat every day as a new day - no DIET just eat in moderation and go back in January proving you are on the right side for wls. Good luck and have a hug!!

I can't agree more with the advice on this thread Rolanda; you need to wipe the slate clean mentally and start again. It's easy to say but hard to do, I know - I'm at that stage myself. I had my seminar in October and for a couple of weeks I was full of motivation. But - as soon as the dark nights arrived, my motivation went out of the window.

I've made a kind of pact to stop buying and eating the rubbish (apart from Christmas day and Boxing Day) and to eat sensibly and focus on what I am eating and when. Keep track of what you're eating - join us in the food diary thread if that will help you at all; you don't have to do the weekly weigh in if you don't want to right now.

PS as far as SW/WW go - I left SW well over a year ago and I still get letters from the consultant asking me back. Is there another consultant in your area whose class you could go to? Someone more encouraging perhaps?

Eat sensibly, take each day as it comes and maybe have a little treat at the weekend.

Good luck, hon.

Reactions: Bev
Thank you all for your support and good advice.
I know I need to get my head sorted out and take each day as it comes. Think I might give the SW leader a ring and see what she says about re joining.
Thak you all again xx

Hi sweety. You've pushed that big red self-destruct button, haven't you?

You need to get your head in the right place. First off, GO BACK on your pills. You're on them for a reason or they wouldn't be prescribed.

Next....I bet you were really excited before, when you went to the seminar? Well the surgery is still going to happen! Seeing the nurse is just the next stage in the process!

So...try to begin to visualise yourself slim. Begin to imagine what life will be like and feel like when you lose your weight.

It's a head thing, isn't it, so that's where you need to fight and win your battles.
Get yourself back to SW and really engage with it because you KNOW its going to help you on your journey.

Come on here and look at the before and after pics, read the diaries of post-op people...its all about getting and then maintaining that motivation!

If it helps, start your own diary, keep a food diary too. Its too easy to eat/drink stuff and then 'forget' what you've had. BUT not if you get into the habit of writing it all down!

We're behind you in this and will help you as much as possible. If you need to pm me, I'll help you personally as much as I can.

I believe you can do this.
Hugs, Grace xxx

This really is a personal choice. I love WW and I'm planning to go back after I'm eating solids again (my banding was yesterday). Whichever you choose just try to stick to it! Also, I started going to a therapist and he has really helped me to recognize my food addiction. I believe that everyone can benefit from therapy!
Good Luck! You have tons of support here!

i didnt want to read and run.

I have always been over wieght all my life and never been able to imagine mysel thin. Surgery helps but doesnt make it the easy choice. But coz I chose surgery I have lost the weight and loving life even the kids like it coz I do things with them now which I never did before like fair rides etc.

All I can say is there is light at the end of the tunnel keep going and trying and it you will get there.
Good luck enjoy Christmas and start a fresh in the new year

Jo
xx

hi, i didnt want to read and run.. iv tried both WW and SW and i suppose its down to personal choice, with WW i found myself hungry all the time where as SW if you have used all your syns and still feel peckish you can just eat free foods as many as you want i love it but i do find myself go off track a few times and have to try and snap myself out of it before it gets too bad. im now back on track after gaining 7lb last week alone i dont know why i do it to myself to be honest but i do agree what others say, take your meds! i yousto do it with my thyroid tablets and antidepressants and it only makes you feel worse.. once they are back on track you will feel alot better :) xx

Hi Gemma, thanks for the reply. I have started taking my meds again. I am remembering my antidepressant and taking at least 2 out of the 3 diabetes tablets that I am supposed to take each day. I know I need to take all 3 but I don't really eat properly..... kind of graze but with pig outs thrown in, if that makes sense. Still feel un motivated though and do not really know how to get my mo-jo back.
Theresa x

Oh Theresa! How I can relate to you. It is a shame you are so far away. But maybe we can motivate each other.

I am not so bad at taking my antidepressants at the moment but know when you go into dark places it is so hard to get going up again.

I am better at taking tablets now I take more, although not so good on the diabetic ones, as like you I do not eat so regularly at present. But the anti's I have got into a routine with just by moving where the medication is kept. I have it with my first cup of tea in the morning, and seem to remember it - I must admit though, I am lucky as hubby brings me my cup of tea in bed. I am putting my first thing in the morning tablets out each night on the bedside cabinet, and so far the routine is sticking.

I have an appointment in Feb, and am worried as I seem to have pushed that self destruct button as regards to eating since I heard I had funding. Maybe we need head transplants before gastric surgery? But Please PM me and maybe we can help each other together. Best wishes Trisha

Back