• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Seriously in need some help/advice please..bit of a long one

All we can do is offer support, listen, or whatever is needed. Telling someone you think they had the wrong operation or should convert to another procedure could be seen as not so supportive - just my opinion though!

I don't take part in the "sweetness and light and sugar coated fairy tales" that takes place on forums -- unnecessary kisses and cuddles and pats on the back.

I only offer opinions or advice when I think I have something constructive and useful to offer, and sometimes possibly quite a radical different opinion.

Sometimes a poster asks for help, and too many "fluffy" replies offer little more than empty shibboleths:

"Oh so, sorry, hun, sorry to hear you're struggling. Have you tried increasing your exercise [this poster already said she is doing 1 hour a day] .... Hope you find a solution and get out of the stall soon"

Platitudes that offer no solution.

I made a suggestion that might actually make a difference, albeit not one that everyone might wish to take, or even the poster -- but a suggestion that would make a difference, not an empty platitude.

I don't take part in the "sweetness and light and sugar coated fairy tales" that takes place on forums -- unnecessary kisses and cuddles and pats on the back.

I made a suggestion that might actually make a difference, albeit not one that everyone might wish to take, or even the poster -- but a suggestion that would make a difference, not an empty platitude.

You made a suggestion based to some extent on factually incorrect information - ie the 6 month window also applying to banders.

You also appear to believe that you are qualified to offer surgical advice / opinions based on the fact that you have researched WLS.

You also missed the fact that Mands is suffering with other issues where I and others have felt a bit of sympathy IS required and could hardly be considered unecessary!

I didnt intend to comment further on this thread but felt I needed to!

Please Mazza don't go away. Although I believe every one should have an opinion, i, as a newly post op bander I need people like Mazza who is a successful story to stay here and keep posting their wisdom. It is infuriating that people who had different surgery although think they are helpful or supportive don't realised sometimes that their advice don't apply to all. Banders are so completely 100% under represented so please stop pushing the few we have here away from this site. Thank you for your consideration. And sometimes people like me which are so harsh on themselves need some, so called washy, comments just to feel better!!! Otherwise it feels like kicking someone while their down. Case close

Promise??? :) thank you x

To be fair, someone at my support group did move on from a band to a bypass and is finding it much more successful.

I know nothing about it so I can't possibly comment, but you're a sleever sharonimo so why didn't you suggest that? Mind you I think suggesting someone should have had a different op is extremely unhelpful. My "sleeve sister" had a real go at a POSE patient at the support group, who hadn't lost an ounce and had her in tears asking her why she hadn't had a sleeve instead? What's the point?

My personal feelings are that the OP should be checked out for PCOS. That can definitely leads to IF and difficulty in losing weight. But again, I'm not medically qualified so don't take my word for it.

My personal feelings are that the OP should be checked out for PCOS. That can definitely leads to IF and difficulty in losing weight. But again, I'm not medically qualified so don't take my word for it.

Yes that whats I thought too Ruthiep, having suffered with it myself - the symptoms sound all to familiar ;)

I know nothing about it so I can't possibly comment, but you're a sleever sharonimo so why didn't you suggest that? Mind you I think suggesting someone should have had a different op is extremely unhelpful.

The reason I did not suggest a sleeve is because in cases where a person has a medical reason for being a very slow weight loss loser, the bypass does offer malabsorption (on average approx 50% of what is ingested is not absorbed leading to much greater calorie NON intake) and usually greater weight loss.

For me, I am aware that the sleeve comes with disadvantages (my weight loss may be slower than with a bypass and I may not quite reach "goal" -- but for myself I am happy to accept those risks).

I apologise that I got it wrong that banders don't have the "window of opportunity" for weight loss that bypassers and sleevers do.

I also realise that for some people the band works (and it is great if you personally have managed to get to goal with a band) ..... for some people the RNY works and they love it ..... for some people the sleeve works.

But for some people their original choice of operation does not always work (sometimes even sleevers decide to convert to bypass or duodenal switch -- I am hoping not to be one of them -- or it could be me in 2 years' time moaning "I've only lost ....... lbs with the sleeve and am stuck at ......" etc).

However, my original comment and suggestion was made, having read everything Wannabeanewme said about what she was eating and how much she is exercising, it *seemed* (to me) that for the OP the band is not working if:

(a) she is stuck at 16½ stone and is 2 years post op and has been stuck at 16½ stone for a long time;

(b) she is eating small quantities of lean protein (fish, chicken), soup, and NO gluten / very few carbs (1/8th of a portion of a rice meal she mentioned);

(c) she is following all the rules of the band;
"I don't eat unless am hungry, don't drink within 30mins either way, don't eat after 9pm and don't eat carbs"

(d) she is exercising an hour a day.

I hope I have not put Wannabeanewme off from returning to the thread -- she is welcome to disagree with my suggestion -- it was made with good intent (even if the OP chooses to do something else or finds some other solution to her stall).

well.. what a huge mixed bag of responses this thread seems to have kicked up.. thank you ladies for your advice/ opinions/ sympathies and suggestions..so please bear with my reply..tis bit of a long mixed bag..

I'd like to make 1 thing perfectly clear here and now to everyone.. yes I am a bander, Yes I am over 2yr post op but in the last 14months my health has took a heck of a battering with almost constant infections, anti-biotics and going for days at a time where I could hardly walk due to pain from my osteo-arthritis in my knees, hips, ankle, lower spine, shoulder and carpal tunnel issues in my wrists and dizziness from the recurrent sinusitis I had.. all of these issues won't have helped me in the slightest and it is only now am infection free finally..that am able to try very hard to regain control and kick-start the weight loss again. I don't do 'excuses' - merely explanations.

For anyone who doesn't know - here are a few things that may be relevant. I have suffered for over 18yrs with weight issues. my lowest ever weight after having my children was 13st 2 and I looked ill so am never going to be at the 9st 10 for my height malarky. Now, considering that on dec 29th 2005 - I weighed 25st 10.4lb - to be sat here at the moment at 16st 4lb.. I think have done damn well for myself. Everyone has a glitch now and again, unfortunately for me there are several other factors which have hindered me on my journey and this WLS journey was NOT one of MY personal choice. It was recommended to me by the surgeon who I saw at 21st 3 - over 4 and a half stone lost - without help from surgery, just controlling my eating habits and exercising more - with a para-umbilical hernia which was getting worse and in HIS opinion, it was the better course of action for me. The first I knew of it - was the initial referral meeting in July 2008 with Mr S.

HIS OPINION.. NOT mine.. My bariatric team in SRH are aware this was not and never was my choice but I'm doing what I can. The op was in May 2009 and during the first year, I was on track, my weight was coming down after the recovery period. The following year in Feb 2010 - I had ANOTHER operation to repair the hernia which was restricting my ability to exercise, causing me a lot of pain and discomfort not to mention a 6" difference in my waist-line! Then I had the recovery period from that - which was 6mth. So now we're up to august 2010 and had gotten down to 17st 9. Considering everything had gone through - my Bariatric team stated I had done just fine. Majority of 2011 had been spent on anti-biotics, assessment appointments for my OSA, my check ups at SRH and family problems - all of which have dealt with and am still here, am still kicking and screaming and am still trying. Which brings me - to the here and now and all these responses to my initial shout.

Personally I don't particularly care what statistics state or what works for other people. My concern is what works for ME and right now.. support, advice and help is what will work for me and am certainly not intending to put myself through more pain for the sake of improving weight loss considering I've already had 2 operations within 10 months of each other and IMO a further operation isn't necessary. Sorry Sharonimo. Am aware that was merely YOUR suggestion and input and I have taken no offence at anything posted. Trust me.. it'd take more than someone stating their thoughts - to keep me off here. I was the one who asked for advice and that was your twopennorth.

Mazza and Shel and Julie all know me from the begining of my WLS journey and I value their opinions and advice. There may well have been something I'd been missing which I hadn't seen - and sometimes a person in similar circumstances - see the big sodding blue flashing light that I couldn't see..

Since posting this original post - I've spoke to my dietician on the phone, ended up being squeezed into clinic as an urgent and had a barium swallow done. Nicola - my dietician - asked me to keep a food diary for a few days before I went through so I did. She stated from a professional point of view - my diet is ok, good mix of everything and no issues as far as she can see. The results of the barium swallow - well, I wont know them til I go back on 27th feb and in the meantime was advised to maintain a 'normal' diet. Unfortunately for me that is no longer a viable issue. I had mentioned that I've had a few issues with gluten - if you aren't aware - it is in almost everything you can think of, is also in thing you wouldn't imagine and I'm going to GP next week to see about being tested. I ate 'normally' after the barium swallow on Mon this week.. and have been ill until last night because of it. Yes I can specifically state it was because of gluten as I was nil by mouth from the night before the BS on Monday! So as I have been unable to eat properly, been on fluids for 3 days and tried to eat today and was promptly sick..yet another issue for me to cope with on this side of the screen..which is something nobody sees..

Also - the ladies had mentioned possibility of PCOS.. this bit is for you ladies.. I have regular monthlies, 28 - 30 days, suffer from mittleschmerz and have done for over 14yrs, have hair growth on upper lip, under my chin, side of my face, my voice tone has altered in the last 9yrs - if you heard me on the phone, you'd think am a bloke..and have had recurrent m/c's as well as struggled with weight loss (no sh*t sherlock...) and as you know.. still am now. I did have internal scan when still had a bit of weight and was told all is clear internally so no reason why, he's had checks and his swimmers are good so the issue had been put to my body not recognising the baby due to my excess weight and seeing it as infection so cutting blood supply therefore bringing on m/c :( As am now 40 - and my OH has no children, would we get any help at all? (feel free to PM me if preferred)

Getting back to it.. I know some times that if the head doesn't follow then there can be harder issues. Overall I think I've done well to deal with everything I have had - and maintain a loss. Albeit small.. but still a loss. I'm happy to increase my exercises each day - do 3 slots of half an hour at a time as well as keep track of cal intake etc. I've never used myfitnesspal but guess it is something I could try to help me keep a better record and see if it shines any light on what I may be doing wrong. Sometimes it just takes a different approach but still doing the same thing - to get a different result. Maybe I should do a weekly track thread so people can see what am doing and maybe give pointers? What you think Ladies..

Anyways.. right now.. am going to refill my 500ml bottle cos its empty and thankfully atm, is staying down and am going to go back to bed.. will see you tomorrow ladies and will look forward to reading any other ideas/thoughts that may have been stirred by my replying..

Thank you all though.. :flowers::grouphugg::wavey:

One quick thought before I haul my lazy backside out of bed. If the gp agrees to do the coeliac testing for you, if you are eating a GF diet it will show negative. You need to be eating gluten for your body to produce the immune response for that to show in both the bloods and the biopsy. My neighbour/friend is coeliac and has just been through the diagnosis process with her 4 year old daughter.

I've no idea if there is any help available re fertility, have you been referred to a miscarriage clinic?

You've not half been through the mill, and having come through the other side is a credit to you x

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Hi Mands,

Nothing to add to help with your weight loss journey as i have no advice on that matter.

But i have suffered with recurrent miscarriages, between 6-10 weeks and wondered if you had been to the early miscarriage clinic for testing? I was lucky enough to see a wonderful consultant who treated me really aggressively once i got pregnant (i was diagnosed with Factor V Leiden, a blood clotting disorder which causes blockages to the blood supply of the baby). Calcaprin injections, baby aspirin before conceiving and progesterone suppositories made all the difference and now i have 2 wonderful children.

Hope this may help

Claire x

Now, considering that on dec 29th 2005 - I weighed 25st 10.4lb - to be sat here at the moment at 16st 4lb.. I think have done damn well for myself.

It was recommended to me by the surgeon who I saw at 21st 3 ......... with a para-umbilical hernia which was getting worse and in HIS opinion, it was the better course of action for me.

The results of the barium swallow - well, I wont know them til I go back on 27th feb

Hi Wannabeanewme,

Thanks for the update and background. I also have a para-umbilical hernia and for obviously different reasons my surgeon recommended either sleeve or RNY for me at my weight.

You have done well to lose nearly 10 stone, but it must be frustrating for you to find yourself stuck at just over 16 stone. I don't know what more to suggest (obessive daily calorie counting / recording?) but hope you get some news from your barium test and that your team is able to find a solution that will help "kick-start" you onto further weight loss. :)

Here's a link I found which discusses weight loss stalls -- most of it is I'm sure pretty similar to advice you have already heard (on this thread and elsewhere) -- are you eating enough? are you drinking enough? change the exercise routine around etc ..... but there are a extra few tips towards the end of the article:

Weight Loss Stall or Plateau

Evening Ladies.. well.. there's some good news and some good news.. ;)

First good news.. my weight is slowly moving in the right direction :D With a little help from myfitnesspal (same username on there as on here if anyone uses it and wants to find me) and a long talk with my OH.. we realised that one thing I'd eased off with was my fluid intake. So now I aim to increase that a day at a time.. and its working..

Which leads me to my second good news.. When I was in SRH last week.. I was 110kg :eek:

and now am 106.4kg :D

Unfortunately for me though at the minute..my exercises for this week are going to drastically have to be changed.. my back is causing me severe pain at the moment so rather than my aerobics and exercise bike - I'm off swimming tomorrow instead. Hopefully as it's weight-bearing it will help ease my spine/back and help with the loss..

Watch this space.. Thank you for you're support and advice over the last few days ladies..

Sharonimo - I'm fully aware of the problems your P.U.H. can cause but don't give up.. yes it will still be there after your WLS - unless they're going to try and be adventurous and repair it at same time as your WLS.. if ever you want to talk.. feel free to p.m. me hunni

First good news.. my weight is slowly moving in the right direction :D

Hoorah! Good luck with the swimming. :)

Sharonimo - I'm fully aware of the problems your P.U.H. can cause but don't give up.. yes it will still be there after your WLS - unless they're going to try and be adventurous and repair it at same time as your WLS.. if ever you want to talk.. feel free to p.m. me hunni

No, they are definitely not planning to be "adventurous" and fix it at the time of surgery -- made it clear to me that will be something to sort out *after* the weight loss ... so another bridge to cross at a later date.

I'm OK with that as I don't really like the idea of my intestines being "messed about with" -- part of the reason why I have now chosen to go for just a sleeve and not the full RNY -- I will cross the fear factor of the intestines (hernia) having to be "messed about with" at a later. :p

Back