• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Shut up

mandymoo

Why is it every magazine or paper always has something bad to say about gastric ops (band etc). Which then gives fuel to everyone that is against me getting this band - I feel like shouting Shut the bleep bleep up. All I seem to be hearing is 'how it ruined my life' or 'how it never worked for me' each time I can hear them 'why bother Amanda going through all that not to loose weight, why don't you do it naturally?' - do they seriously think I haven't tried grrrrrr x

There's many many more successful banders and bypassers than failures, but stories of successes and things going smoothly don't sell crappy mags and papers like disaster and doom and gloom hun x
Rise above it and do what is right for you. It's a calculated risk but the benefits outweigh the risks for me personally and it's also going to help me keep the weight off for life too.

Thanks sorry about the rant, but hard enough without the pressure, are you a bander? Could I ask how much you have lost please, need these plus stories to keep me going. Not long now x

bands can and do work mine did for me, but also bands can and do fail, but thats usually down to the patient cheating their band and thats so easily done, bands are a tool given to a patient to work with, once the surgery is done its up to the patient to work with it and learn how to use restriction correctly after dietetic advice, if the advice isnt taken, bands wont work so well and its still down to food choices made at the end of the day by the individual patient, the surgeons cant control what we as patients choose to put in our mouths after wls x

Neen said:
Lol no worries, I never read those things because they make my blood boil too!!
Yes I am love and I have lost about 9 stone x

Wow you are proof that they do work x

j.u.s.t.l.i.z. said:
bands can and do work mine did for me, but also bands can and do fail, but thats usually down to the patient cheating their band and thats so easily done, bands are a tool given to a patient to work with, once the surgery is done its up to the patient to work with it and learn how to use restriction correctly after dietetic advice, if the advice isnt taken, bands wont work so well and its still down to food choices made at the end of the day by the individual patient, the surgeons cant control what we as patients choose to put in our mouths after wls x

I agree - makes me laugh when they still are eating a load of rubbish. A big thing that was being said they replace 1 addition for another like alcohol and then become alcoholics?? X

My MIL brought me 2 mags where the ladies had wls and then there food addiction turned into and alcohol and they became alcoholics.

I wouldnt mind but when you read on they still say that wls was the best thing they had ever done and never regretted it, they went on to overcome the addiction to alcohol also.

I have told my family that there are many many success stories but we only hear about the bad ones. :rolleyes:

This again sounds like my MIL her and "my ladies magazines" in other words all thr usualy suspects oh don't have it done i've read so and so ggrrrrrrrr I'm just gonna not say anything anymore cos my feelings obviously don't matter!!!!

I've purposefully chosen not to tell many people about my imminent band because of this reason. I get the initial "Ohh but you don't need that, isn't it a bit drastic? You just need to eat healthily and exercise" I then carry on talking about it and mention Belgium, this one is returned by "OMG, please be careful, I've heard so many horror stories about.............. blah blah blah" So yeah, I understand hun. Just remember you need not answer to anyone, it is YOUR body and your decision at the end of the day, good luck!! xx

What you have to know about these mags is they do lie! Plain and simple. A member on here was recently in one and it said she'd turned into an alcoholic, fair enough she did enjoy a drink for a while but it has never taken control of her life to the point of alcoholism or even close...

At the end of the day it is your body. But what you have to think is that some people are scared that you might change and not just physically.... It's your life x

I completely agree. The magazines are full of negative stories about lapbands.
I think you get out of it what you put in. Iam 1 week post op and hoping not to start drinking, smoking or gambling!!

I agree they tend to tell the horror stories in these mags - the more positive stories I hear the better I feel x

Mine is only a positive story. I have lost 75lbs since June and it has changed my life so much for the better. Im not an alcoholic yet but I'll let you know!!
Go for it but expect to put the effort in and you will love your band
JO XX

Personally i'll turn to shopping before i turn to booze :) Did i say ''i'll turn'', i already love it lol x

JOWOOD4 said:
Mine is only a positive story. I have lost 75lbs since June and it has changed my life so much for the better. Im not an alcoholic yet but I'll let you know!!
Go for it but expect to put the effort in and you will love your band
JO XX

Wow thanks great - keep these fab posts coming. I just want to hear positive lol xxx

phatmomma said:
Personally i'll turn to shopping before i turn to booze :) Did i say ''i'll turn'', i already love it lol x

I use to love it when I was slim, not now. Only enjoyment is buying for my boys or the home - hopefully that will all change xx

Hi
I had my band in January 2010 and have lost 5 stone so far, I only told direct family never friends as I knew that I would get all the comments under the sun.
my mum commented isnt that a bit drastic but in the end I did what I thought was best for me and my family and it was and is.
Dont get me wrong i may have a band but my head still tells me I need a chocolate bar or something "nice" but then it also tells me why I had this done and I will have my treat enjoy it and get on.
Do what is right for you and dont let others tell you what you think x x
helen
x

fatbutnot4eva said:
Hi
I had my band in January 2010 and have lost 5 stone so far, I only told direct family never friends as I knew that I would get all the comments under the sun.
my mum commented isnt that a bit drastic but in the end I did what I thought was best for me and my family and it was and is.
Dont get me wrong i may have a band but my head still tells me I need a chocolate bar or something "nice" but then it also tells me why I had this done and I will have my treat enjoy it and get on.
helen
x

Thanks you have done fab hope I'm as successful x

Hi
helen
x

You've done really well to lose five stone and from what you say you have a really positive mental attitude - which I think is half the battle.

Back