• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

doctors notes(sick notes)

charley1987

i have my op in 5 weeks how much in advance can u get ur sick note and do u tell them how long u think u should have off or do u have a convo with them and they will give u off what they think as i work in a job which involves really heavy liftibg like things that weigh up to 20kg and im really worried that the doctor will give me like two weeks off and my work is going to ecpect me to do the same as i do now x

From this month sick notes are changing to fit notes... doctors are now supposed to say what you are capable of doing and not just sign people off period. So in your case it'll be very important to explain the nature of your job carefully. There's been some articles recently on the BBC website about the changes, you might want to read up before you see your doctor.

Here's the link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8599354.stm

All the best !

Rose

Hi Charley

You tend not to get doctors notes in advance, also as of Monday they changed name to 'fit notes' on your day of admission to hospital I would ask them for a doctors note (fit note) to cover you, which they should do. If not you are legally able to self certify yourself for the first 7 days (this includes weekends) Once your doctor's note is coming to its end you should contact your GP for a further certificate.

I have not yet had my surgery but have been advised that I may be off for anything from 4-8 weeks.

I am sure that your doctor will not let you reutrn to work until you are fit to do so.

Hope this helps a bit.

I got a note from the hospital for 2 weeks then the doc signed me off for a month after mum told him what I had done.

Hi I was talking to my gp the other day and she asked me what the recovery was. I said some people are off 6 weeks some 8 weeks some are back to work sooner. In the booklet I was given it said 2-3 weeks. I told her this and she said no way. I went on to say thats what I thought considering when I had my gallbladder removed I was off for 5 weeks with terrible internal bruising. She said she would sign me off for as long as I needed. I have told my boss it will probably be about 6 weeks but who knows I could be back sooner or it could take longer. I think the hospital will initially give me a 2 week one then gp after that.

My GP asked me how much time I thought I would need and whether I would be able to do everything my job requires as she was able to suggest adjustments on the new fit note. She said that if she suggested adjustments and the employer was unable to provide duties that met these requirements a longer period off would be necessary.

I'm a teacher and had my op the week before the Easter holidays. I plan to go back after the hols which gives me 3 weeks off. I can avoid lifting in my job.

My GP asked me how much time I thought I would need and whether I would be able to do everything my job requires as she was able to suggest adjustments on the new fit note. She said that if she suggested adjustments and the employer was unable to provide duties that met these requirements a longer period off would be necessary.

I'm a teacher and had my op the week before the Easter holidays. I plan to go back after the hols which gives me 3 weeks off. I can avoid lifting in my job.

I too work in a school as a teaching assistant and need to lift boxes with books in. Also does it not worry you that the children will run into your tummy?

Your hospital can certify you and often the senior nurses will do it for you ask them for 2-3 weeks if they can write it. Thats because your GP will need to have seen the discharge summary which can take up to about 2-3 weeks to get through to the surgery, if you don't get a personal copy to drop off, or for you to attend before they can write your fit note. The new rules have most GPs scratching their heads so best if yoiu make an appointment noiw for 2 weeks post op so you're ready to go in and go through what you need.

HTH

M

I was told 4 weeks by people as i am a secretary in a hospital and don't 'usually' do much lifting. However i will take into account the fact that i am having 'open' bypass and being diabetic i am prone to infection. So though i have told my boss it should be 4 weeks i will see after my surgery...

I had 5 weeks off. When I initally asked my GP for a 2 week sick note, he nearly laughed at me. One of my incisions got infected and it took 2 weeks of antibiotics to clear it up, but he wouldn't allow me back to work until it had cleared.

im diabetic to ive told work 6 weeks but when i spoke to the nurse at the hospital she said 2 weeks and i laught at her.
I also livein a top floor flat 2 flights of stairs and wondered how im going to do it the nurse said i shouldbe able to walk stsirs easy befor i go home x

Hi Charley
the physio will make you walk the stairs before they let you out, it one of the things they do!

I finally called and told the h.r. lady at work today about my surgery .. she asked if i could get the sick note to her now (she is obviously young!) she did however ask what kind of surgery and when i said gastric bypass .. she said 'i dont know what that is' .. i said .. stomach stapling .. and she said to me ' ohhh i am so jealous .. ask your surgeon if he can do some lipo too' .. since i have never met her in person i let her by with that one ....
she then asked how long i would be off .. i said .. i think two weeks .. and she said to me .. well if it was a big surgery like back or something we would integrate you back in slowly.... but since its 'just' the stomach thing .. we will see you back in two weeks .. hmmmm can you say maybe someone needs some education .. LOL

I'm going to avoid lifting and try to be as careful as possible around the children. My class are Year 6 so the classroom situation is safe enough. I often have to handle children in crisis or volatile situations and I'm going to be very careful around these for a while.

I'm going to avoid lifting and try to be as careful as possible around the children. My class are Year 6 so the classroom situation is safe enough. I often have to handle children in crisis or volatile situations and I'm going to be very careful around these for a while.

I am year 3 so they still run around quite alot and not think too much about what they are doing. Good luck.

Back