• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sickness after operation

Fashionably Late

is a skinny size XS & 6!
The last few times I have had operations I have been very, very sick from the anesthesia. Some of the operations were supposed to be day cases and I ended up in for 4 days due to the vomiting. Will the anesthesiologist listen and make sure I have adequate medication after the operation? This is the only bit of the whole process that scares me.

im the same, tell them and they will give you a medication called cyclizine for sickness after the op, it works quite well x

Thanks! I took cyclizine (sp?) at the end of my pregnancy as I lost 30 pound whilst pregnant with the twins. It did work wonders. It is weird that this is the only thing that scares me. I hate vomiting.

The last few times I have had operations I have been very, very sick from the anesthesia. Some of the operations were supposed to be day cases and I ended up in for 4 days due to the vomiting. Will the anesthesiologist listen and make sure I have adequate medication after the operation? This is the only bit of the whole process that scares me.

Hi there

Tell them about it as there is lots that they can do....I can't stop shaking afterwards...they told me that I should mention it when I have to have anaesthetics in future.

Good luck

~hugs~

Your not alone in being scared about vomiting, I am too like this, I seem to get into a right mess it has to take its course I usually end op with a drip, I have Cyclizine and Ondansetron (they call the latter the gold stuff) I have these daily due to the morphine pump I have.

I hope I am not so bad, Its the retching Im worried about.
Hugs xx

Thanks! I took cyclizine (sp?) at the end of my pregnancy as I lost 30 pound whilst pregnant with the twins. It did work wonders. It is weird that this is the only thing that scares me. I hate vomiting.

i didnt know cyclazine was a weight loss drug.

No it isn't a weight loss drug. I had hyperemesis when I was pregnant with the twins and I couldn't stop throwing up and I lost 30 pounds so they had to give me the cyclizine to help with the vomiting.

ahh ok now i understand sorry i didnt quite get what you were saying, thanks for explaining x

Sorry, I didn't explain it well. My brain hasn't been working lately. Sheer exhaustion.

Last time I had a opp at Heartlands I told the Anesthetist that I suffer with vomiting due to the Anesthetic and I asked them to give me a sickness injection before waking up which they did do and also gave me another a fair few hours later when I started to feel sick again.

Thanks for that Jezabelle. I really appreciate it. I will ask for that. My husband cannot understand my fear because he has never had anesthetic in his life.

You're welcome... Did you track your referral down and have you seen the new topic I not long posted about Heartlands? Thought it maybe of some use to you as well.

I spoke with the bariatric coordinator at heartlands and she said I wasn't on the system yet. She said to call back in a week because the referral goes to appointments before she gets it. I then called the GP's secretary and she confirmed that the referral had been sent off but didn't have a surgeons name just that it went to the bariatric team. UGH! I hate waiting. I will find your other thread as well.

I was the first down to theatre on the day of surgery.

I told them I reacted very very badly to anaesthesia, but I was still horrendously sick, so much so that the entire corridor of ladies waiting to go down for their surgery could hear me barfing and retching! Nice.

They came along and gave me a little prick in my bottom ;) :D then I was ok, but my sickness was very very bad.

Just make it crystal clear to the staff how sick you get, the pain of retching on my new tummy was extremely painful.

I told them I reacted very very badly to anaesthesia, but I was still horrendously sick, so much so that the entire corridor of ladies waiting to go down for their surgery could hear me barfing and retching! Nice.

yep...I heard it all, I was in the next room and was last down that day...:eek: poor lass, she was trying to bring her boots up that day!!!

hope you're doing well Emma...great weight loss btw xx

Back