• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Confused after Dr Hruay email

clare12345

Hi,

I found this forums, dead set on having a band and then I read about the wrap and after research thought that I would go with this option. Anyway, My last email from Dr Hruay after me asking about how many wraps he had carried out and since when etc. oNe of the responses I got are below and it go me thinking about a sleeve and am I making the right decision. This whole process is confusing as I just want to get it right. I know that there are pro's and cons to all of them but I don't want anything too drastic (scared lol)

Stats:

Wrap - 2 cases in 45 over 2 years
Sleeve - 3 leaks in 450 over 10 years

I think the bit about sleeves being more successful is making me think but part of me as I am writing this is thinking stick to my guns with the Wrap even tho its new. Anyway the last response email from the Dr is below and please tell me if you went through changing your mind with which option to choose and why.

Sleeve gastric resection seems to be more effective compared to wrap. Both operations have their advantages and disadvantages.

The most often "complication " of wrap is loosening of the suture and de-folding of the wrap.The frequence is aqround 5%, in our series we observe 2 cases.

In case of sleeve resection, we are afraid of leaks. In our series of 450 operations we observe 3 leaks.

there is no need of follow up visits at the surgeon after both operations, he follow up is quite simple and done by GP.

Our team is a part of general surgery department of our hosopital, we are of authority business.

Regards

rickysmrs

Hmm tricky one is there a big difference in cost?? If I had to choose personaly I would go for the sleeve because it cant be reversed if the wrap becomes undone then does that means your stomach will be back to normal size??

Good Luck with what ever you choose xx

natashoorrr

I don't really know too much about the wraps, it just depends on you really? I'm a big believer in go big or go home.. I dont think I ever want to be in this position ever again. I think the wrap is less invasive but i think the sleeve offers a better chance of weight loss without regaining!

clare12345

Wrap 1800 euros or 4200 euros for sleeve. My budget for a band intially in the UK was 5k as this is what I wanted to do. I will not do the band abroad so if I want that I would stay here but I don't fancy the refill revisits and from reading up on forums people can eat more normal with other ops (not talking about portions here lol) just physically less difficulty from eating.

I so don't know what to do now. I think I should go for the wrap but 2 in 45 compared to 3 in 450. I just worry like I am sure most people do, that they will be that 1.

I am waiting for an email back as I asked if the the stomach unwraps can it just be left or would I have to go back to a surgeon. I assume if the stitches loosen I will be ok, it just means my stomach goes back to being normal size (ish). But is'nt it the same with the sleeve, in that your stomach can stretch anyway:confused::confused::confused:

wannabeminime

Hi,

I found this forums, dead set on having a band and then I read about the wrap and after research thought that I would go with this option. Anyway, My last email from Dr Hruay after me asking about how many wraps he had carried out and since when etc. oNe of the responses I got are below and it go me thinking about a sleeve and am I making the right decision. This whole process is confusing as I just want to get it right. I know that there are pro's and cons to all of them but I don't want anything too drastic (scared lol)

Stats:

Wrap - 2 cases in 45 over 2 years
Sleeve - 3 leaks in 450 over 10 years

I think the bit about sleeves being more successful is making me think but part of me as I am writing this is thinking stick to my guns with the Wrap even tho its new. Anyway the last response email from the Dr is below and please tell me if you went through changing your mind with which option to choose and why.

Sleeve gastric resection seems to be more effective compared to wrap. Both operations have their advantages and disadvantages.

The most often "complication " of wrap is loosening of the suture and de-folding of the wrap.The frequence is aqround 5%, in our series we observe 2 cases.

In case of sleeve resection, we are afraid of leaks. In our series of 450 operations we observe 3 leaks.

there is no need of follow up visits at the surgeon after both operations, he follow up is quite simple and done by GP.

Our team is a part of general surgery department of our hosopital, we are of authority business.

Regards

Aww bless him and his English!

Where you say 2 cases for the wrap, is that leaks? Or unfolds? What then is the question i would ask.

It depends on you really, its such a personal decision.
-Do you mind losing part of a perfectly healthy organ?
-Do you want to feel less hungry?
-Do you mind having a new procedure?
-Do you want the more affordable procedure?
-Do you want the one with better results, in the Dr's opinion?

wannabeminime

Glad you asked the question about unwrapping! And yes, the sleeve can stretch too, if you push it! It also relaxes over a few years, which makes it bigger, and get more effective at emptying, apparently!

jrabbit81

I'm almost 3 months out after having the sleeve & i am very happy, the reduction of the hunger hormone, has quite simply changed my life!!! I'm 51lbs down :)

Marnie73

Hi I'm booked in for a wrap with Dr H in early feb, I did first look at the band as I thought that bypass and sleeve were too much what with cutting away part of a healthy organ then I found the wrap.
I've done loads of digging around about the wrap both on here and others sites. The one thing that I have remembered all along is that there is no long term info on the wrap so because of this I have in the back of my mind that should there be any issues down the line say 5 or even 10 years then I shall be off for a sleeve if required. A band is a definite no for me now due to the maintenance and I do know a few people who may be thin but have no quality of life due to problems with the band, of course not everyone has problems.
Must admit iv been having a few nerves over the past week thinking what if this what if that but I know deep down if I don't do it now I will regret it big time. Go with your instinct and having a backup plan for years down the line might make things clearer. Good luck xx

wannabeminime

Hi I'm booked in for a wrap with Dr H in early feb, I did first look at the band as I thought that bypass and sleeve were too much what with cutting away part of a healthy organ then I found the wrap.
I've done loads of digging around about the wrap both on here and others sites. The one thing that I have remembered all along is that there is no long term info on the wrap so because of this I have in the back of my mind that should there be any issues down the line say 5 or even 10 years then I shall be off for a sleeve if required. A band is a definite no for me now due to the maintenance and I do know a few people who may be thin but have no quality of life due to problems with the band, of course not everyone has problems.
Must admit iv been having a few nerves over the past week thinking what if this what if that but I know deep down if I don't do it now I will regret it big time. Go with your instinct and having a backup plan for years down the line might make things clearer. Good luck xx

Great post Marnie :) Very sensible. Not long now!! xx

miss_malone

Personally I chose the sleeve becuase it offers comparitive weight loss to gastric bypas without the malabroption.

I never considered the wrap because you are not removing your hunger - and I have heard anecdotally that wrappers can still get very hungry even when they have filled their pouch. But soemoen with a wrap might want to chip in on this.

I also didn;t like the idea of all that stomach folded in on itself and sewn together. For me that sounded far more risky and much less 'healthy' than simply removing the stomach. What isn;t there can't have something go wrong with it!

Just my thoughts on why I choose the procedure I did. Jope it helps :0

Good luck on your journey xo

clare12345

Marnie

Are you going for the wrap based on results/research so far knowing that if it does not work, you will get a sleeve?

I am more scared of the sleeve as I worry that more can go wrong.

It is such a difficult decision but I think I am still swaying with the Wrap but the email got me thinking about the sleeve. I will go with Dr Hruay with either op. It is strange as 10 years ago I got my eyes lasered and family was against that but I got fed up of squinting etc as I would only wear glasses for tv/driving. I remember my sister saying that is one part of her body that she would not mess with in terms of surgey but it was a very simple process and one that I do not regret. I am trying to look at it like that as it took me 4 years to decide to get eye laser surgery and then I thought I need to take the plunge and don't regret it.

wannabeminime

Marnie

Are you going for the wrap based on results/research so far knowing that if it does not work, you will get a sleeve?

I am more scared of the sleeve as I worry that more can go wrong.

It is such a difficult decision but I think I am still swaying with the Wrap but the email got me thinking about the sleeve. I will go with Dr Hruay with either op. It is strange as 10 years ago I got my eyes lasered and family was against that but I got fed up of squinting etc as I would only wear glasses for tv/driving. I remember my sister saying that is one part of her body that she would not mess with in terms of surgey but it was a very simple process and one that I do not regret. I am trying to look at it like that as it took me 4 years to decide to get eye laser surgery and then I thought I need to take the plunge and don't regret it.

I had my eyes lasered too, about 16 years ago, i've never looked back. Its such a fantastic procedure isnt it :)

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
I've had my eyes lasered too! also ten years ago.

Good luck with your decision Clare x