• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Confused after Dr Hruay email

Marnie

Are you going for the wrap based on results/research so far knowing that if it does not work, you will get a sleeve?

I am more scared of the sleeve as I worry that more can go wrong.

It is such a difficult decision but I think I am still swaying with the Wrap but the email got me thinking about the sleeve. I will go with Dr Hruay with either op. It is strange as 10 years ago I got my eyes lasered and family was against that but I got fed up of squinting etc as I would only wear glasses for tv/driving. I remember my sister saying that is one part of her body that she would not mess with in terms of surgey but it was a very simple process and one that I do not regret. I am trying to look at it like that as it took me 4 years to decide to get eye laser surgery and then I thought I need to take the plunge and don't regret it.

I obviously hope that I won't need further WLS but who knows what will happen in the future ? Worse case scenario ( I hope ) would be failure of the stitches in years to come and if I feel the need for a sleeve I have a sleeve, if I was paying 7k in England for a wrap ill be p'ed off having to shell out for further surgery so paying £1600 now isn't as much an issue if a further procedure is needed. Just my thoughts anyway.
I've had my eyes done as well and to be fair if I can let somebody burn my eyes then I can do this !!

I do remember saying to the chap doing my eyes "please be careful my eyes are my best feature" lol xx

:8855: 'burn my eyes' so true though

I am glad that I posted this thread as it is helping me focus back on the wrap. It is true what you say Marnie, I could be paying a lot more in the UK for this so the price is worth the risk as I can get a sleeve later or deal with. I guess the issue that he said can go wrong don't seem as bad as the band that is unless the unfolding of my stomach will cause pain (who knows I am not a doctor). And I guess if the stitches loosen its hopefully not damaging, just means I eat more rather than it causing damage to my insides.

Don't know if I need to start another thread for my next question but just a reply to this thread has got me thinking.

How many of you wrappers still get really bad hunger pains even though you are full?

:8855: 'burn my eyes' so true though

I am glad that I posted this thread as it is helping me focus back on the wrap. It is true what you say Marnie, I could be paying a lot more in the UK for this so the price is worth the risk as I can get a sleeve later or deal with. I guess the issue that he said can go wrong don't seem as bad as the band that is unless the unfolding of my stomach will cause pain (who knows I am not a doctor). And I guess if the stitches loosen its hopefully not damaging, just means I eat more rather than it causing damage to my insides.

There are longer studies I'm sure they were posted somewhere on here but I googled and found them. Also there is the NICE doc produced in the UK in Nov 2012 that reports a few studies from around the world and there wasn't anything that worried me and I'm a Virgo so don't take things lightly :)

If it is of any help to any of you, I have had the wrap and can say that I do not feel hunger even when I am full. I did expect that before the op but was surprised to just feel normal afterwards. I eat small amounts and feel satisfied and the only way i can spoil it is to eat high calorie food full of carbs and no nutrition. I have followed those who have had sleeves and also the bypass who suffer from the same problem

Last edited:
Hi,

I found this forums, dead set on having a band and then I read about the wrap and after research thought that I would go with this option. Anyway, My last email from Dr Hruay after me asking about how many wraps he had carried out and since when etc. oNe of the responses I got are below and it go me thinking about a sleeve and am I making the right decision. This whole process is confusing as I just want to get it right. I know that there are pro's and cons to all of them but I don't want anything too drastic (scared lol)

Stats:

Wrap - 2 cases in 45 over 2 years
Sleeve - 3 leaks in 450 over 10 years

I think the bit about sleeves being more successful is making me think but part of me as I am writing this is thinking stick to my guns with the Wrap even tho its new. Anyway the last response email from the Dr is below and please tell me if you went through changing your mind with which option to choose and why.

Sleeve gastric resection seems to be more effective compared to wrap. Both operations have their advantages and disadvantages.

The most often "complication " of wrap is loosening of the suture and de-folding of the wrap.The frequence is aqround 5%, in our series we observe 2 cases.

In case of sleeve resection, we are afraid of leaks. In our series of 450 operations we observe 3 leaks.

there is no need of follow up visits at the surgeon after both operations, he follow up is quite simple and done by GP.

Our team is a part of general surgery department of our hosopital, we are of authority business.

Regards
It would be interesting to know when this loosening/unraveling takes place as the leaks in a sleeve are evident after a few days. Does he mean that the stitches can give straight away or after a number of years. If there is no need for aftercare after a patient has left hospital how can he know this.

It would be interesting to know when this loosening/unraveling takes place as the leaks in a sleeve are evident after a few days. Does he mean that the stitches can give straight away or after a number of years. If there is no need for aftercare after a patient has left hospital how can he know this.

On the studies from other countries any problems were known within a few days or a week , there was mention of slight weight regain after 10 years If I remember rightly and that was on the early wraps where just one side was wrapped over. The results so far for the double wrap were better for recovery and everything, sorry iv not got the links to provide further info x

Back