• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sickness bug and band

laurawls

Hi

I was banded 4th feb this year. My household has today caught a sickness bug and I am terrified I catch it. I heard being sick with a gastric band can be dangerous.

Can anyone give me any advice incase I catch it, I'm petrified, this was one of my biggest fears after having band done.

Laura xx

fbscpa

It might be worth contacting your provider and arranging a defill asap just in case, given how contagious the bug is. Fingers crossed you don't get it though! xx

laurawls

It might be worth contacting your provider and arranging a defill asap just in case, given how contagious the bug is. Fingers crossed you don't get it though! xx

My provider has went into liquidation so unable to do that. On the upside I've so far managed to avoid it. Touch wood xx

BandedHun

I think if your sick thru illness it's ok. If you do vomit with the band and there is stress on the band and throat the following 2-3 days drink icy water, and liquids only, nothing that places any further stress on the band. You should then be ok to crack on and eat normally

( I was given this advice following a fill and choking to the point of being sick on the train home from the fill and called the on call emergency nurse with THG ) so try this following any sickness.

Hope it reassured you . Can't imagine how stressful it must be following them going into liquidise room :-(

Banderbird

I had something similar to Norovirus on holiday earlier this year, it was horrendous. I retched so hard I thought I'd regurgitate my whole stomach. I had nothing inside me and black bits were coming up, it was terrifying. The worst of it lasted for a whole night, every 20-30 minutes.

However, even after retching that hard and painfully, my band stayed put and there were no after-effects, thankfully.

Maybe I was lucky, but it really was awful and I was just fine after I recovered.

I really hope you don't catch it, but it is possible to dry heave and not damage the band.

Fingers crossed for you! x