• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

silly questions??

genevive57

hello from a very very cold north-east today. you would think with all my fat i wouldn't get cold but i just can't get warm today.
anyway, i am having my op [gastric sleeve] in the next few weeks and, as is usual i suppose, my waking thoughts and my sleeping dreams are about the op.
you probably think i am asking silly questions but, i like to think i am an 'organised' and 'well prepared' person [my star sign is VIRGO] so responses to my burning questions would be gratefully received.
1. do i get to keep my very unsexy bellywarmer pants on during the op - or not?
2. what do i pack to take into hospital. do i wear nighties all the time or, do i take casual clothes to wear during the day?
off to make a nice hot bovril to try and warm up.
loadsa love n' stuff :mad:

No to the knicks you will have a catheter in!
Wear shorty nighty for the above reason!
You wont have time to wear clothes,its usually 1st night hd then 1/2 nights on ward/in your own room.
You wont read/watch tv much as you are busy doing meds and obs.
Make sure you have your phone and charger few toiletries(dont take everything from your bathroom you wont use it!)
Socks for your tootsies and a pillow to travel home with,to prevent the seatbelt hurting your op sites!

Take loose clothes for the journey home, you may be bloated from the gas they pump you with and water retention. I was catheterised for the first 24 hours so wore a nighty but then wore pj's after that for a bit more dignity, especially when walking round the ward with the physio!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I had my bypass at Srh and got to keep my own pants on no catheter needed. n swapped from there gown straight into my own pjs soon as I was bk on the ward from my op. Also I took 2 sets pjs whilst in hospital n had loose top n joggers for going home in xx

not had my op but i would be wanting to know the same things so thankyou for asking the questions :D xx

I had a sleeve and wasn't cathetered either so I think it really does vary. I have heard, and was told, that as long as your knickers are 100% cotton, you can wear them; otherwise you have to wear the hospital ones. I always wear 100% cotton so I was fine.

As to clothes, I can't answer because I didn't even stay overnight. I had my op at 11 a.m and by 9 pm was home in my own bed.

Take a dressing gown though!

hi there, not had my op either so no help there sorry xx

I had a wrap but had 2 drains fitted but kept angel gown on til I was back on the ward, I had 2 nighties and 1 pair of pj's but I was in from Mon to Fri lunchtime :) xx

I had a sleeve and wasn't cathetered either so I think it really does vary. I have heard, and was told, that as long as your knickers are 100% cotton, you can wear them; otherwise you have to wear the hospital ones. I always wear 100% cotton so I was fine.

As to clothes, I can't answer because I didn't even stay overnight. I had my op at 11 a.m and by 9 pm was home in my own bed.

Take a dressing gown though!

Wow Ruthie, not even a day in hospital!! Did you feel that you could have done with an extended stay or were you glad to be home??

I wasn't even offered their sexy lingerie....kept my own knickers on throughout....no catheter either.

I had some nightshirts that I wore, took mobile ohone and charger, toothpaste and brush. Hairbrush soap and flannel. You wont get time to read all the magazines that people offer you to take. Wore loose clothes home and can't stress highly enough how important pillow is for journey home...put in the car NOW!

I had no catheter or drains, had to wear paper knickers. Wore their gown on the first day, never went to HDU went straight onto the ward. Felt well enough to go home that day but they said no. Changed into vest tops and short leggings for the 2 nights stay. Wore a long jumper and long leggings home. I brought a magazine and a book into hospital but couldn't concentrate to read. I took usual toiletries, make-up which I put on asap to make me feel normal, earrings! I took Windeze chewables, eye mask and earplugs. Hospitals are so noisy. Phone charger, my own coffee as theirs is rank! And a bottle of NAS squash. Good luck xx

I didn't have a catheter, I did have a drain but that was ok under my nightdress. I'd picked up a pack of magazines - and just my luck I'd opted for the OK 'celebrity diet special' which was a pathetic waste of money!

Generally, if you want/have to wear your own undies they have to be 100% cotton. I agree with Mariew - I really wish I'd taken ear plugs and an eye mask. The lights and bleeping, people coughing and snoring etc are not conducive to a good nights rest.

As well as nightwear I took a loose, comfortable outfit to go home in.

Good luck lovely!

I been told I will wake up with a catheter and gastric nasual tube up my nose in to my tummy , and go to HDU for the first night , then go to my own room the next morning , I pack my hospital bag , night dresses, gown , slippers, socks , underwear for following days a pillow to come home with , and toiletries , also warmer to ask nurses to warm up for pain xx

i had catheter and nasal tube, couldn't concentrate on books etc the gas really fills you up so don't take anything tight and ...can't stress highly enough how important pillow is for journey home...put in the car NOW! :)

Hi! I didn't have a catheter, wore my own pants. I got changed into my own nightie after 1st night, then 2nd day I was going home so had shower and got dressed into leggings and long top.

I read a book I'd taken in, played with my phone a lot, that was about it.

Good luck!

Crackers x

Hi Ruthie,

Amazing that you had no overnight stay in hospital. How is everything working out for you?

Cheers,

Hi,
I had no catheter or drains as my surgeon wanted to get me up and about as quickly as possible. I was in HDU for 24 hours. I wore the hospital gowns for the time I was in there also they supplied paper knickers for the op but they were too small for me so had to go commando. The doctos and nurses were fantastic but I could not wait to go home on the second day. They kept me in an extra 8/9 hours just checking on bloods and blood pressure but had said that they were wanting me to go home that day if at all possible. Wore loose trousers and long top to the hosptial and for the return journey. Definitely need cushion so you can put it in front of seat belt on way home as you will be very tender where the seat belt meets your tummy. I brought a magazine and a book into hospital but was unable to concentrate to read. I did take my own nightie, toiletries, etc but they never got unpacked from the case. NAS squash is useful but try it very diluted initially as it can make you sick because of the sweetness. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

cost said:
Hi,
I had no catheter or drains as my surgeon wanted to get me up and about as quickly as possible. I was in HDU for 24 hours. I wore the hospital gowns for the time I was in there also they supplied paper knickers for the op but they were too small for me so had to go commando. The doctos and nurses were fantastic but I could not wait to go home on the second day. They kept me in an extra 8/9 hours just checking on bloods and blood pressure but had said that they were wanting me to go home that day if at all possible. Wore loose trousers and long top to the hosptial and for the return journey. Definitely need cushion so you can put it in front of seat belt on way home as you will be very tender where the seat belt meets your tummy. I brought a magazine and a book into hospital but was unable to concentrate to read. I did take my own nightie, toiletries, etc but they never got unpacked from the case. NAS squash is useful but try it very diluted initially as it can make you sick because of the sweetness. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

How do u find your new sleeve cost , xx

How do u find your new sleeve cost , xx
Hi Tracey,
It is good - after all these years I feel I am in control. I am getting used to the food you can have at different stage and really enjoying the tastes and textures. I now take my time to savour the limited food I can have. My life is opening up and I can do so much more than I could only a few months ago. I still have a way to go but know that emotional situations will/do occur and I am not able to turn to food. I have taken up crafting in a big way to keep my hands busy plus signed up for an open university course on nutrition.

Thinking of you.

Cheers

Back