• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Simple Answers Please

ICAWM

Hello

I've been reading up on weight loss surgery for ages and as an intelligent (and modest!) woman, I thought it would be easy to research.

How wrong could I be?!

* Is the 18 week waiting time a myth?
* If referred pre PCT changes, do you automatically convert to new system?
* I was referred direct to Kings College Hospital, London. Do I have the option of going elsewhere?
* I've had my group session and I have consultant appointment next month - how long am I realistically going to be waiting?
* Should I consider elsewhere?

Am I wrong to want to know so much? Can anyone else put me out of my misery please?

Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Hello

I've been reading up on weight loss surgery for ages and as an intelligent (and modest!) woman, I thought it would be easy to research.

How wrong could I be?!

* Is the 18 week waiting time a myth?
* If referred pre PCT changes, do you automatically convert to new system?
* I was referred direct to Kings College Hospital, London. Do I have the option of going elsewhere?
* I've had my group session and I have consultant appointment next month - how long am I realistically going to be waiting?
* Should I consider elsewhere?

Am I wrong to want to know so much? Can anyone else put me out of my misery please?

Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

I think the 18 week thing for this surgery doesn't count .
I think it would revert to the new system even tho you were refered befor.
you should be able to ask to be treated at different hospitals its your right now to so.
if you consider else where find out how long the wait there is it could be worse, I cant tell you how long ppl wait at that hosp because im under a different one so cant answer that, all I will say is most bariatric surgery seems to come with a long wait befor hand

Hi icawm and welcome to the forum.

The waiting time also depends very much on how quickly you make the initial target weight loss that the team set you. I was in my first seminar in february 13 with several others, some of whom still havent reached the liver reduction stage because they are struggling with the initial weight loss which proves to the team that you are motivated.

hiya icwam.i have been researching for months.all the pureed food.crispy food.i bought everything blender etc.and I was told 18 weeks.till the penny dropped.i have to go on this horrible cpap for obstructive sleep apnea.i cant cope with the mask and I am struggling.i have had a lots of help from others online.i rang my consultants secretary.and I don't even go on the waiting list till I sort the sleep out.then the 18 weeks start.and was told this was a guidline.but I live in Bradford.so things are different.you shouldn't be long im sure.everywhere is different.soohoo

I can't help with regards to your questions as I went private and have no experience of applying for funding, but
Am I wrong to want to know so much

No. This is the time to ask as many questions and find out as much as you can about the process and the methods of WLS to make an informed choice about the route to take and whether its the right one for you :)

Kings wait is normally a year or over. I have been waiting this long. hope you get it done soon.

Hi I waited 2 years but another local hospital to me now quizzes through their list! Postcode lottery and timescales vary. Best of luck, its well worth the wait x

I was given a list with 10 to choose from. When I was researching Kings had the longest wait of over a year. Kings would have been the closest, but I chose to go to the furthest. That was Chichester, and they do work to the 18 week rule. I had my op 17 1/2 weeks after my MDT. The 18 week target is set from when they put you on the waiting list, not from first referral. I.e, when they are satisfied you are ready. At Chichester all assesment is done on one day, where as other teams can spend months doing the different assesments.
I cant tell you about transfering between the old and new systems, except that I understand it is taking sometime to sort out.
Under current nhs guidelines, you have the right to choose where you are treated, but be aware that changing provider will mean you will start the assessment process again.

Last edited:
I wasn't give a choice of hospital just my local one.
I went to the doctors September 2012 for referral.
Appointment to hospital to see surgeon October 15th 2012.
Appointment January 19th 2013 weight check.
Appointment February 22nd 2013 hit 2 stone off.
Surgery April 23rd

7 and a half months from doctors to surgery.

it tuck me 5 and a half years to get my funding, really hard to get before in my area, but once got the funding it only tuck 5 month untill i had the op and now loving my sleeve

Wow, thanks all for the replies. Such a difference in times.

After being diagnosed with Sleep Apnoea and having CPAP machine, sleep clinic dr referred me direct to Kings last year.

Had group session in March this year and was told in 4-6 weeks I'd see consultant. Still not seen - earliest appointment was 4th October! I'm getting really nervous in case I get sent away from there. Even if he puts me on waiting list in October, I'm not expecting surgery for another year.

I tried ringing to find out if I had funding and first they said I wouldn't be there if not, then told they'd have to check notes in Oct and couldn't before. I asked GP who said she applied but her reply us that don't need funding any more.

I'm so confused about everything! My BMI is around 48. Do many people get to consultant stage then sent away?

Hi

I'm all fingers and thumbs. I wrote a reeaaaallllly long reply to this earlier but I have no idea where it went!

I tried to thank everyone for making me feel welcome and for their replies.

I was referred to sleep clinic last year, diagnosed with Sleep Apnoea and now use CPAP machine daily. I don't like it but I'm sticking it out. My sleep consultant referred me direct to Kings, not GP, last year. Had first group session in March 2013, told I'd see consultant in 4-6 weeks but appointment isn't until 4th October.

I've tried to dot all "I" and cross "t"s but it ain't easy. Asked Kings if I definitely had funding. They initially said yes otherwise I wouldn't be there but when I phoned to check, they said I'd have to wait til Oct to check notes. So I asked GP who said she applied but then got notification that as system changed, I no longer need funding, referral suffices!

I anticipate at least another year from seeing consultant next month. I'm really worried that they'll send me away without putting me on list.

I'm envious of those who have had op sooner than I've even got to see consultant!

My BMI is around 48. I would like RNY.

I'm wondering if it may be worth going to another hospital to be done within a year but its so hard to find definitive answers. My mind is like a washing machine on spin!

Hi I'm at kings although there is a waiting list the surgeons there Mr Patel has a very very good reputation everyone on here likes him. and I believe Mrs Chang is another.
I cant say what's best for you but one of the reasons I have waited is because of the level of care and expertise at Kings, Im near the top of the list and have already had my pre op tests so hopefully not long for me but it has taken over a year, Jeez the time flys by
also my minds in a spin too so your not alone....

Rupert, when did your year start? Group session or consultant? How do you know how near the top you are? I'm excited for you!

Back