• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

6 Days Banded - My Journey

Oasiscalm

I have spent a long time browsing this forum gathering information and inspiration for my surgery. So I thought I would share my journey so far and add any information which may be helpful to anyone waiting and considering surgery.

As of today I am six days post op and for the most part feeling fit and well.

My referral to surgery was very straightforward, my GP referred me to Kings College Hospital in July 2011 where I attended a group session in Sept 2011. The session was an hour talk giving a frank and honest insight into what WLS entailed and at the end I had a chat with the consultant surgeon Dr Patal. At the end we were given an info booklet and consent forms to sign to essentially register interest.

My next stage was a consultation with the registrar in Feb 2011 where I told him I wanted a gastric band and would not consider the other procedures. He agreed and said he'd put me on the waiting list. A week later I received a letter confirming I had been placed on the waiting list. Fortunately I did not need to have any tests as I had undergone sleep tests and blood glucose tests not long before my consultation.

For the next few months I waited, occasionally I would call the waiting list co-ordinator to see where I was on the list but never got any useful information.

Finally on 22/01/13 I got a call to come to Kings a few days later for pre op assessment. A week later I had my surgery off site at King Edward VII Hospital, a private hospital in Central London.

On the morning of surgery I meet Mr Patel again - he is a fantastic surgeon and an equally pleasant man, he takes time to answer any question or concerns. Because I am prone to exxagrated scarring he decided to perform a single incision procedure which i would attribute to a speedier post op recovery.

My hospital stay was faultless, I spent one night and was discharged by noon the next day, having being examined a second time by Dr Patel, a second consultant and a team of nurses.

I have taken a week of work. With the pain relief I was given I have been mobile for the last few days. I do have pain bending, coughing and laughing. Surprisingly what I have found more painful is trapped wind, for this I have taken Deflatine and Infacol, sipping water and hot water bottles also work.

Having now been through surgery and early stages of recovery I am happy to answer any questions or give advice.

Welcome and good luck on your journey to a happier, lighter you :)

How are you doing ? How are things going? :)

Thank you for sharing your experience so far. Welcome to the site and good luck on your weight loss journey :)

Hi and welcome x

Mr Patel banded me too
Such a lovely man xx

Back