• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Will it happen?

ICAWM

Hello
I am 38, live in Kent with a BMI around 48, and after being diagnosed with sleep apnoea, my consultant referred me directly to Kings for WLS, which apparently is a strange route to take.

It took many many many months for appointment to come through, but had my first (mandatory) group session in March 2013.

Was asked to get blood tests done via GP ready for appt in 4-6 weeks, which translated to appointment in October 2013.

I tried to get a cancellation sooner but no joy. So I'm trying patience. I didn't realise I had options re: hospital but seeing as I've been waiting over a year already, do I want to start the stopwatch again?

Now, however, I'm panicking. What happens when I see the consultant at Kings? Is this it? Do I get a surgery date? Do I get sent away?

My preferred surgery would be the RNY as I eat a lot, savoury/sweet/stodge...

Dare I allow myself to be optimistic yet?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hang in there, I would ask your GP to chase it up for you, just keep pestering, it seems that a lot of people have to wait a ridiculous amount of time, my GP was saying it could take 5 years to get the gastric bypass on the NHS (Norfolk) which is why I've raided the life savings and am privately funding. I think you have to stay strong and focused and just generally keep pestering until they give you'd ate. Good luck xxx

To be honest, I think my GP is a tad out if the loop, as I was referred by sleep consultant. I saw GP few months ago to establish I actually HAD funding - she apparently did application then couple of months later called to say that don't need to apply any more under new guidelines and referral suffices. Really?!

I Was referred by the sleep consultant at Medway hospital 18 months ago. I have only had my bloods done at my pre op assessment in July and I'm still waiting for a date..
Hang In there.

Rupert, sounds like we have same consultant. Have you done the group session?

More than likely if its miss Vincent lol yes I did the group session last year after that you will get the appointment to see the consultant mine was in july last year I have done alot of research on him this is why im waiting I know its no far now im surprised I haven't had it already its been so long. But he is top of his field.

Oh man, over a year from seeing consultant. That has surprised me. Have you been referred for further tests? Did he give you any idea in timescale when you saw him?

That's kinda thrown me now. I thought from seeing consultant, it would be countdown to op.

Opps sorry... it was in October last year when I saw Mr Patel at which point I then went on the waiting list had a phone call in late may this year from kings saying I was near the top of the list and they booked me in for the tests which I had this July which were the pre op test that included ECG, Chest X-ray, Lung Function, Blood tests. So that was in July And I'm still waiting not even got a date for the op. I have telephoned then to ask but they still say a date has not been allocated to me. How ever I opted to have mine off site at one of the two private hospitals that he operates from as I thought this would be quicker and nicer.....:) so I'm told and I don't know how true it is that they can go as far as 15 months but they then have to do the operation. but let me say this year has flown by so hang in there as it really does come around quick

I truelly feel for you, it sounds like hell and I couldnt put myself in your shoes. keep us updated all the best and good luck!

Hope all goes well for you mate. Just hang on in there and fight all the way..It's a rocky journey at times BUT it's well worth it mate believe me.
Good luck to ya.

Back