• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Six months in...

Lupti

Good Morning to all!

Even though I do not participate in many (if any) of the "threads" that are on this forum, I take great support and inspiration from reading other users comments and day-to-day updates - thank you.

On 26 January, I had been out of surgery for 6 months. I was considered too "big" to have a bypass and had the "sleeve VSG" from KCH.

Since the operation, I can positively say, that it has started to change the way I live my life, for the better. It has not been an easy 6 months and, everyday brings new challenges. However, by sticking to a few rules, I am losing weight and slowly improving my fitness/quality of wellbeing.

On the day of my surgery (26.07.11), I weighed 213.9kg, as of 26.01.12, I now weigh 155.0kg.

I am still finding it difficult to eat the following foods; rice, pasta, bread, pitta, red meat. There have been some strange omissions such as, I can no longer digest apples, but can eat pears(?)!
My diet mostly consists of raw veg, fruit and soups. I do not find it "restrictive" in any way.

As I work in an office environment, I have been going for walks at lunch time, which over the past few months have become longer (currently at 35mins). I also find that I have more energy in the afternoons, so go for walks to the park, or to the high street (which never happened before)!

The improvements to my health and wellbeing over the last 6 months, gives me encouragement and inspires me to continue with my new routine.

This has probably been my longest post on this site!

Best of luck to all.

I don't understand the "too big to bypass" part? I thought the bypass was considered the most extreme measure for most extreme cases.

However you've been sleeved (as have I) and are doing well on it, so that's great. I'm useless at kg, I'll have to do some calculations to work out your weightloss! Just did it, you went down from 33st to 24st by my calculations. Pretty amazing. Good on you for the walking too; I am walking a lot more now as well!

As to foods you find difficult, it's well known that apples are a problem fruit. Pears are MUCH softer and easier to digest. I agree with you on all the other problem foods, although I can have a small amount of red meat if it's cooked very soft; ie not grilled like a steak but casseroled or stewed. However I find some raw veg also very hard to eat.

Wow that is amazing progress! You have done... amazingly :D Congratulations and keep up the good work

I was 30 stone and they said I was too big to bypass. They did it in two stages after I'd lost 10 stone.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

congratulations Lupti, you have lost an amazing amount of weight!!! :) im so glad you're feeling better now and the walking is great :) keep going honey :) xxx

Well done ur doing amazing, keep it up xx

I don't understand the "too big to bypass" part? I thought the bypass was considered the most extreme measure for most extreme cases.

The bypass is ideal for people with BMI's in the 40 - 50 range, up to a maximum BMI of 60 but all BMI's above 50 have higher risks during surgery.

The sleeve op was invented 12 years ago specifically to cater for patients with BMI's above 60. The original intention was that the sleeve op would cause them to lose a "significant" amount of weight, and get their BMI down into the mid 40's at which point the bypass could be performed.

The first sleeve ops (which were intended to be a two part procedure) were carried out using slightly larger "bougies", often 60F (approx 20 millimetres in diameter). (The bougie is used to measure the size of your new stomach while being sleeved.)

HOWEVER.... surgeons began to find that in many cases, patients lost more weight than expected with the sleeve op on its own, and did not always return for the 2nd stage procedure.

It was then that surgeons realised the sleeve might actually work well as a "stand alone" procedure, especially for people with BMI below 50 ..... and that if they used smaller bougies (now 32F, 34F, 36F and 40F which equates to between 10.5 mm to 13.5 mm) the op could be planned as a "stand alone" procedure.

Sleeves are still offered to high BMI patients as a "first" stage option. But for lower BMI patients the sleeve can be a stand alone procedure.

(Ruthie -- our surgeon Mr Pratik Sufi uses bougie size 36F which is approx 11.5 mm -- I asked him at my pre op and he said this is the only size he uses.)

thats amazing hun your doing so well keep going x

Blimey that's fantastic work so far, well done you. Often for BMIs above 60 they will perform the sleeve or a mini bypass to get the patients BMI to a level where they can perform a full bypass.

Most of the foods you list are known as sometimes problematic post op, how are you ensuring you get enough protein in each day?

Again well done that is a stunning result so far congratulations

Uve dun fantastic so far well dun u :) x

Finding this thread very interesting as this was never mentioned to me and I originally started around the same weight as Cicca. Were you still above 30 stone on the day, if you don't mind my asking?

Yvessa said:
Finding this thread very interesting as this was never mentioned to me and I originally started around the same weight as Cicca. Were you still above 30 stone on the day, if you don't mind my asking?

Don't mind! I was 27 stone, lost 3 stone 4lbs on lighter life as at 5ft 1 and bmi of 73 the surgeon was concerned that I was at risk of many things and wanted me to lose as much as I could to help. Lighter life was a killer, 600 - 800 calories a day if not less.

Ah right well done on your pre op loss! I am at 27 stone 2 now and still 12 weeks to go. Am hoping to get my BMI under 60 before op. But the surgeons never even suggested it as a split op. Having said that, I am taller than you so my BMI is lower even at the same weight so I wonder if that is why?

Yvessa said:
Ah right well done on your pre op loss! I am at 27 stone 2 now and still 12 weeks to go. Am hoping to get my BMI under 60 before op. But the surgeons never even suggested it as a split op. Having said that, I am taller than you so my BMI is lower even at the same weight so I wonder if that is why?

Not sure, I was peeved they wouldn't do it all in one go. In America they had operate on people bigger than me and do it in one stage. Anyway as it was, it worked out better for me. The weight came off a stone a month until about month 10 then it slowed down and I had stage 2 and continued to lose at a rate of about 1/2 stone a month. I think for me this was better as my skin seemed to respond better to the weight lose. I have very little lose skin. The gradual process suited me my body more.

I never dreamed I'd reach goal and very pleased indeed that it's stable and has been for two years.

I wonder if this is something I should discuss with surgeon...as I am already worrying about loose skin.

Back