• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleep Apneoa....DO NOT IGNORE IT!

Andy1968

Okay so today i had another follow up appointment with my Sleep Ap Nurse at King George's Hosp,Ilford.

I was diagnosed with it on the 20th July 2011 and i've been using CPAP since.

It was just today that i realised just how serious my SA was.
My nurse was delighted with my weight loss - 8st 2lb and has said that my BMI will need to be at 40 before they'll retest me,I've another 2 stone to lose but that's fine by me as my BMI is 43 ( it was 62 at my 1st appt)
I said to her how different my life has changed since i first walked into to see her some 18 months ago...and she told me how the whole team was so concerned about me on that day...so much so that the Consultant was going to take a VIDEO of me and show it at a Seminar about how serious Sleep Apneoa is.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I was grey,had massive water retention in my legs and was very VERY poorly.

I was having 70 apneoa's an HOUR and my blood oxygen were as low as 51% deeming me a serious risk of a stroke / Heart attack at anytime.

Today has really brought home how things could -and probably would- had turned out had i not had my CPAP & Bypass in June 2012.

My point is if anyone is reading this and think they have Sleep Apneoa symptoms..Please get it checked out IMMEDIATELY...It really is a very serious illness.

Sleep Apnea: Symptoms, Treatments, Causes, and Cures

Above is a link to the symptoms of SA ..Please don't wait to get it checked out,because without my CPAP...and my bypass,I feel sure after what i heard today,I wouldn't be here to tell you this now:cry:

Thanks for reading this

Andy xx

Thanks for sharing, Andy. I've been told I have to go and get tested for sleep apnoea and until I was told this I actually had never given a moments thought to the prospect of having it, or of the implications. I'm trying to find out everything I can about it now before I get tested so thanks so much for the info :)

Numi

Andy I had no idea, I am so pleased that you have come out the other side of this and you are on the up and Up and of course on the down weight wise!!!

Andy I had no idea, I am so pleased that you have come out the other side of this and you are on the up and Up and of course on the down weight wise!!!

Thanks Liz...Of course things are okay know thankfully.
Hope you're ok :) xx

That's fantastic and I totally agree Andy! I didn't need a retest - my team let me handle my own care, but it is the best feeling when you no longer need it!

While I don't have SA, a close friend of mine does so I am going to share this with her her x

(BTW, you just made me soooo home sick. I still think of King George's hospital as being 'new' even though it moved on to that site 20-odd years ago! My younger sister was born at the old one and my grandfather was a psychiatric nurse at Barley Lane Hospital which used to take up the whole site)

Back