• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleep Apnoea test

I know it's an old thread now...but I wanted to share my CPAP news! I have not worn it for a week as I have now lost 7 stone, I have had no problems at all! Yehhhh I have slept right through the night in a good deep sleep, no waking up gasping, no morning headache, no waking for the loo at all, no waking up still tired etc - I think they will be keeping their machine when I go for my appt on the 20th!
Hope you local girls are doing ok in your journeys?!
x

That's great news OOnion!! Can't wait to get rid of the mask!! Lol Holly I was referred for sleep apnea tests after I was turned down for funding last year, the PCT said I had to have a co morb to be considered, so I was sent for tests to try and get the funding. Wasn't even aware of waking up through the night and put my lethargy down to my weight!! Turns out I had sleep apnea, which in turn then secured funding! Just a bit concerned that I don't seem to be following the same path as the majority of people on here:(

Hi Mooncake wow you are in Bury St Edmunds im in Thetford lol. I also have sleep apnea and have been using a CPAP machine for about two years now. I am due to have a gastric bypass in January 2013. Nice to know there is someone local to chat to.

great news OOnion, ive been using a CPAP machine for a number of months now, i find the nasal mask leaks less than the full face

i have sleep apnea have had my cpap for nearly a year now, i hate it still have leaks if i dont have my mask on really tight then i end up with a mask shape thats lasts most of the day

Well i used to be the same ladies, mask on tight to stop any leaks then marks on the face all day, had my machine for a year 6 months prior to my bypass sent it back early this year after another sleep test after losing 5 stone. I am fine now i do not snore any more am back in the marital bed after some 2 years of sleeping on the couch. It is a drag using the machine, i took it on a grily camping trip summer 2011 before had my op and the girls were impressed that it wasnt as noisy as they thought and it was much better than my snoring. Good luck all hope you can eventually come off yours to so there is some light at the end of the tunnell. x

thats good to know that it get better, after the weight loss, i dot know how my hubby and kids put up with me and my snoring if i dont wear my mask

Been a hosehead since 2003 but had to ditch the masks as it was rubbing to much on any point of skin contact causing sores :eek: i had tried all sorts of masks but finally settled on "nasal pillows" and never looked back. They take a lot of getting used to though but I rarely suffer from leaks now as the seal point is the nostrils.
Another thing to be aware of is that as the weight comes off or even goes on (god forbid) the pressure of your machine may need adjusting as too much/little pressure can make the CPAP ineffective. Ideally anyone that is on a weight loss program should be issued with an autopap (APAP)machine but this the NHS we are talking about here :p
I am not raising my hopes for ditching the machine soon, if at all, as even at my lowest married weight of 12 stone my husband would have to constantly dig me in the ribs to start me breathing again while I slept :eek:.

i dont see my sleep apnea consultant untill sept now, but will ask about the pillows as i hate the leaks and so does my hubby as it wakes him up all the time

i dont see my sleep apnea consultant untill sept now, but will ask about the pillows as i hate the leaks and so does my hubby as it wakes him up all the time
I can sympathise as even though it has been nearly 10 years ago I can still vividly remember what a pain it was trying to sleep with a farting mask :eek:. Another saviour to me was when after suffering terrible thrice daily nosebleeds I was finally issued with a heated humidifier that attached to the CPAP ... God knows why these are not issued as a rule at the onset of CPAP treatment they make CPAPing more endurable.

mines heated, i hate wearing it as i have panic attack with it but everyone just tells me to get on with it

mines heated, i hate wearing it as i have panic attack with it but everyone just tells me to get on with it

I bet those that tell you to get on with it don't CPAP or have never tried it ... We weren't born with masks on our faces let alone ones with hoovers in reverse attached to them ;) So no it isn't easy getting used to it. Unfortunately for our sakes though we do have to get on with it :sigh: we just have to find what is the best "mask & pressure" combination for us. Nothing will ever be the same as sleeping maskless but to be honest I can not sleep without donning the Darth Vader garb on now. I have tried and I feel like I am suffocating .. Goodness knows how I did so before!

If you do try the nasal pillows don't let them take your previous mask off you because
1. They might not be for you
&
2. You will need it to break you in to using nasal pillows ... I wore mine every 2nd day for a week and then every 3rd day for a week etc etc until I was able to tolerate them all the time.

Good luck :)

thanks for that hun, my kids call me darth vader

it is a strange machine I nuse dto have a heated water reservoir which someone recommended I ask about as I jhave allergies and nothing worse than a dry irritated throat as well as machine. I used to keep the whole house awake even snoozing in the garden next door used to comment. I have snore like that from being very young my parents always said they could hear me downstairs above the tv sound and I have often woke myself up snoring and got tot he point where when hubby woke me up would go down stairs with spare pillows n quilt then just started to sleep down there every night was so bad. Some people will be on c pap for life but some of us are lucky and after weight loss can improve dramatically I know mine did the nurse was really impressed with my results. One night I woke with a start i got tangled up in the hose was just after my op when I went back into our bed suddenly just heard loud gushing noise and husband screaming and sittin gup quickly, I had pulled off the tube from the mask and the air was coming out the tube with great force right over him it was hillarious but he wasnt impressed. I know I used to take it all to bits water reservoir an all used to come into bout 13 bits every Sat morning. xx It s not great beein a hosehead but needs must xx

....I used to keep the whole house awake even snoozing in the garden next door used to comment. I have snore like that from being very young my parents always said they could hear me downstairs above the tv sound and I have often woke myself up snoring and got tot he point where when hubby woke me up would go down stairs with spare pillows n quilt then just started to sleep down there every night was so bad. Some people will be on c pap for life but some of us are lucky and after weight loss can improve dramatically I know mine did the nurse was really impressed with my results...

Ditto Chrisa :eek: & I used to grind my teeth too so I must've been a right pain to sleep with :D. Along with my CPAP I have to wear a gum shield too. What a palaver :eek:. After a very busy week and an early rise that day we went to see the last showing of the hobbit at the cinema. I must admit I did drift off to sleep halfway through only to wake myself up snoring loudly and my husband glaring at me :eek::rolleyes: whoops hehehe.

hlad im not alone

glad not hlad

Back