• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleep apnoea/Cpap machine.

Kellylou

Hi all,
I've just received a letter saying my sleep study showed I have sleep apnoea and have to attend to trial a Cpap machine!
My appointment is the same day as my first appointment with the surgeon, does anyone know if this will affect me progressing to surgery?

Hi Kelly. Welcome. Sorry I can't help but hopefully someone will come with the information you need. Good luck

I have sleep apnea. It may deley you a bit yes, till you get the C-pap machine. You can't go in for surgery...without the machine. I hope im wrong, but that's what im let to believe. Sorry, it's not what you wanted to hear. Hopefully they will get you an appointment a.s.a.p .
I missed a routine yearly check-up apointment about 2 months back , as i was ill (rang them up ..well in advance) they gave me another appointment...but that clashed with another appointment ( a more important one ). So now they won't give me one for a year now. I don't mind wearing them...I feel more refreshed when i wake up! ...but struggle to wear the mask....due to it irratating my skin...ive tried 2 styles of masks....both irritate my skin. I was hoping to arrange for a mouth guard to be fitted, but theres a waiting list ages for mouth gaurds. So will probably have another go with the machine....at somepoint.
Good Luck,
Toni :rainbow:

....not wearing the machine...puts an extra strain on your heart! We need out heart strong for surgery.
Toni x

....not wearing the machine...puts an extra strain on your heart! We need out heart strong for surgery.
Toni x
Thanks Toni!
I have an appointment the day I see the surgeon then a follow up the week after where I should get the machine if required so fingers crossed it hasn't put a spanner in the works x

@Kellylou , Oh, that should be fine then :).Thats how i found out i had sleep apnea...when i was having the follow-up tests for surgery first time round. I wish i could get used to the machine, as like i said, i wake up feeling more refreshed. Hopefully, once we lose the weight...we won't have sleep apnea! :)

Hi everyone,
So I'm laid wide awake with a thousand thoughts running through my head tonight about this whole process.... And the one thing that keeps popping into my head is about the mdt meeting, what happens if they say no?? Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Why could they say no?
What do I do if they say no?
What happens if they say yes?
Is it a long time after they say yes to surgery?
I don't know why this has happened now but I suppose it's because it's getting closer to that meeting and my fate lies in their hands!!

Kellylou....I suppose if they do say no...there must be a channel you can go through, to appeal the decision. (Well, that's what I'l be intending to do if i get refused anyhow)
But, lets stay on the positives ...and try not to worry too much.
Once your approved funding...they have 18 weeks to do the operation in. Well thats what David Locker told me anyhow.
And, if they say yes...(which I'm sure they will)...then it's ...:woohoo:
We're entering the unknown...with no guarantees. But if we ...read read read ..up on enough information, armed with knowledge, It will help us a bit more, with regards as what to expect.

I hope someone else can give you more infomation, that will be of help.

Kellylou....I suppose if they do say no...there must be a channel you can go through, to appeal the decision. (Well, that's what I'l be intending to do if i get refused anyhow)
But, lets stay on the positives ...and try not to worry too much.
Once your approved funding...they have 18 weeks to do the operation in. Well thats what David Locker told me anyhow.
And, if they say yes...(which I'm sure they will)...then it's ...:woohoo:
We're entering the unknown...with no guarantees. But if we ...read read read ..up on enough information, armed with knowledge, It will help us a bit more, with regards as what to expect.

I hope someone else can give you more infomation, that will be of help.

I've armed myself with so much info it's unreal, and this site is the best place to get it! Reading people's journeys and successes is amazing! I think because it's so close I'm finding any excuse to panic and the nerves are getting the better of me!!!
I know it's what I want and need but I think because I've been overweight all my life I can't imagine life being any other way. Thinking that I'll be more active, be able to shop in 'normal' shops for clothes and not planning nights out without making sure there's enough room without squeezing through or looking like the odd one out is a strange feeling!
My weight has never held me back exactly but it has restricted me and thinking that all this will change is a lot to get my head around xx

Spoke with the dietitian today...she advised me not to start the LRD yet..even a dummy run. (Was going to try and do it for 10 days). Apparently, i can have what veg i like...theres no specific ones to avoid. But, everything is weighed out. I'l have to do the LRD for 2 weeks before my op. (Im doing the low calorie version LRD).
I'm off to the Sept 19th meeting group in York. A friend has kindly offered to take me and bring me back. So I'm looking farwards to seeing what goes on there.

I've been 'obese' my entire life...well from about 8 years old. I struggle to imagine what life would be like at normal size too.
There was a before and after picture posted ...either yesterday...or day before, of a lady...my god...the transformation was incredible! And ...it's posts like that one, And many more like hers....that make me think, ....I wonder how I'l look at anything below say a size 18. ( least ive been is a size 20/22, most a size 28/30).
We'll be so much more healthier in the long run.

Hi all,
I've just received a letter saying my sleep study showed I have sleep apnoea and have to attend to trial a Cpap machine!
My appointment is the same day as my first appointment with the surgeon, does anyone know if this will affect me progressing to surgery?

I too found out I had sleep apnoea when I had the sleep study. I was invited to take part in a trial and it was the best thing I have done (wish my GP had had this checked out before), as it was found I was waking 25 times a night! No wonder I felt exhausted and my brain wouldn't function. I even had a dementia assessment last summer!! I have a had a machine since November, and need to be on it when I have surgery (they give you an adaptor so that you can have oxygen as well) - (hence why they test to see if you have it) and beyond until I have lost enough weight and so the sleep apnoea. I have had no problems with the machine and have a nose pillow style as I suffer from claustraphobia. You can look on the web to see what they look like. At the end of my trial I had gone from waking 25 times a night to less than four. :) My only problem is that having lost some weight around my face recently it is starting to feel loose, and I am waking up more as the air is escaping, and I am waiting for a smaller elastic strap in the post.

I am assuming that as they routinely check for it, it does matter to the surgery. However, if it is only your first appointment with the surgeon and you are NHS, you will probably have enough time on the waiting list to get it under control.

Back