• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleep apnoea

sexysocks

Hello I've just found out I'm suffering from sleep apnoea and have to have a cpap machine.
Has anyone else gone through this?
And will it stop or effect me having surgery??

Thanks
Sabrina

No it wont prevent the surgery as long as you use it they like you t be established on it for bout 6 months before op then hopefull aftre bout 5 stone loss like me I got to send it back after another test. Really worthwhile it does make a difference. I know its not nice at first and can be bit panucky but stick with it xx

Thank you so much when I got the letter today I thought oh god it's over that's such a relief thank you much and congratulation on your weight loss :)

X

As a comorbidity it may, dependent on your pct, help you to get funding as long as you are CPAP compliant as Chrisa explained above x

Best of luck with the rest of your journey, they like and need to be prepared with problems like these, because if yu have the sleep apnoea and they are not aware of it it can be very dangerous, with anaesthetic, they said sometimes bringing you round could tak e alittle longer and there are obviously different signs for them to watch out for as you can apreciate anaesthetic is a very technical thing, they need to know and everything that may possibly be needed, also they are prepared case you need to go to intensive care unit. I didn't need that just came round penty of oxygen back to ward. Nevre used machine till night time as usual so just do what they say they no best. You will get used to your machine just takes bit time. Anything was better than my snoring and snorting waking myself and the family up every night haha xx Any questions just ask away xx

Hi, I have sleep apnoea as well, and it didn't affect my surgery at all. In fact the goal weight loss I had to achieve was less then if I didn't have it, so in a way it helped me, ha ha. If you do need a sleep apnoea machine, just think about the fact that after surgery, you won't need it for long if all goes well. Good luck. Ines x

hiya,

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnoea about 8 months ago and have been on my CPAP machine since then pretty much. It has totally changed my waking life as well as my sleeping life, my partner and I are able to both sleep in the same ROOM and the same bed.... which we just couldnt do for ages before because of my snoring... it was awful. I had a bit of trouble for a few months when I had a really nasty cough and chest infection, I found using the machine impossible as even with the humidifier, I was getting a really dry throat and that just made my cough worse. I did struggle with the machine at first but once you are at a level that suits you you will find the benefits far outweigh the irritation factor, and you will be so much more alert and awake during the day. I couldnt drive or do anything pre-CPAP machine, I was exhausted every single day, all day.... now I am able to do a lot more and stay awake. My mobility is still very affected becuase of my weight/pain disorder, but the sleeping part of my life has been changed for the better. I found that I fitted the criteria for getting my bariatric surgery approved as I had more complications due to my weight once it had been diagnosed. keep yer chin up, it aint so bad :)

Lucy xx

I had a CPAP machine, diagnosed with sleep apnoea as part of the work up for bariatric surgery. It didn't delay the surgery at all, but as others have said they anaesthetist wanted to make sure I could use the machine properly during the post-op period.

However I never really settled on the machine, I hadn't found my sleep apnoea a problem, I wasn't tired during the day, and the only symptom I was aware of was snoring. So I didn't consistently use the mask as I found it irritating and it leaked.

Anyway my surgery was in September and in January this year I had another test for sleep apnoea which found that the dips in my oxygen level had reduced significantly due to my weight loss, so I was no longer considered to have sleep apnoea.

Back