• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeping Arrangements :)

hayley1983

Stupid question...

Will there be any problems lying on my tummy to sleep in the near future after Gastric Bypass Surgery?

I don't like sleeping on my back much, although I had a fairly good sleep last night :)

Hayley xxx

Stupid question...

Will there be any problems lying on my tummy to sleep in the near future after Gastric Bypass Surgery?

I don't like sleeping on my back much, although I had a fairly good sleep last night :)

Hayley xxx

Hi Hayley

Nope you should have no problems long term sleeping on your front, like yourself i cant sleep on my back, and within a few days post op i was back on my side and front sleeping.
My op was laproscopic so i healed really quickly, those that have open surgery may take a bit longer before its comfortable, but eventually it shouldn't be a problem.

It will take a couple of weeks or so post op before you can lie in your chosen position, but that soon comes round. Don't worry. xx

I've only just managed to get onto my front and am three months post op, but to be fair I have had wound problems.

Lynn one of the women that had her bypass the same time as me was asleep on her front the very next day, so I guess its up to you and your body really.

I needed a pillow under me for quite a long time to be able to sleep on my left side.

It was about 3/4 weeks before I could sleep on my side after my op But you will beable to get back on your front to sleep

Ooh good news. Thanks guys!! Rolls on a few days time to do tummy sleeps! :)

xxx

i had open bypass on monday and although it hurts quite a bit to move too much, i managed to turn onto my side this morning with a pillow tucked under my belly for support, I did nod off for a short while too.
I also usually sleep on my side/front so I cant wait till I can fully.
My bum will also be so pleased when I get off it lol:D

I was fine on my tum about 2 weeks after my op:D.I find it soo uncomfy sleeping on my back:rolleyes:

I was able to sleep on my side a month or so after surgery but my knees are so painful I have to sleep on my back.

I actually slept in an armchair for the first week or so, but that was more because I had a problem getting in and out of bed and live alone.

My bum will also be so pleased when I get off it lol:D

:eek: OMG Elffie, I know what you mean about the bum thing....talk about corns on my a**e LOL :D

I still can't lie comfortably on my left side (bander) as my port pulls...bariatric nurse said it might be too tightly stitched and if it doesn't ease by 12 weeks (5 weeks since port replacement) they may need to adjust stitches...OMG :sigh:...lets hope they slacken off before then :(

Hi Hayley I haven't had bypass surgery, but after I had my gallbladder removed I needed to sleep propped up in bed as couldn't lie flat and couldn't lie on side. I was just too bruised. I think it was about 7-10 days before I could sleep on my side. I used to always sleep on my front when I was younger but as I got bigger it hurt my boobs and my back too much. I hope I get to have this op so that I can sleep on my tummy too.

i sleep on my side and after my bypass asked to lie down i was told when i was of the morphine it would be ok (apparently being on morphine has a higher risk of chest infections)

by my 2nd day after the bypass i had a pillow proped close to my tummy and heat packs and i have been fine.
i was sore for about 7-10 days but then it was just twinges when i reach for things and i have even slept flat on my face a few times.
my advice would be prop yourself up with cushions and you should be fine

Back