• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve booked

Beth72

Finally booked a date to have my sleeve done at Leeds Nuffield on 8th April, so countdown begins! Even though I've definitely made the right decision & excited about it, wish it were sooner as the longer I have to think about it, the nerves will kick in & so will my doubts, hence why I'm so glad for this site....otherwise I reckon I'd chicken out!! It feels scary sitting here eating crisps & enjoying wine, knowing that things will change so much soon, but excited about being able to wear clothes without feeling so unconfident & being able to stop making excuses to friends I've not seen in ages, purely because I'm ashamed of my size.

Not been sent a pre op diet yet so not sure what it'll involve, but pre op assessment will come 1st. How far ahead is the pre op diet normally as wanted to book a short break & have a final blow out meal to come to terms with saying farewell to my old lifestyle (sad but true!) x

Good luck, Beth !!

My pre op diet was 2 weeks minimum but I did three and a half as I was so worried about my liver being all fat and the op being abandoned... However all was fine, most surgeons seem to recommend 10-14 days x

Mine is two weeks but I think it's all to do with your starting weight/BMI (the higher then the longer pre-op diet). And it's different for every hospital/provider. Are you NHS or private? I would just ask them the question about how long your pre-op diet will be for then you can work backwards from there :)

(In my notes it says duration of my pre-op will be advised to me and will be between two and four weeks) x

I'm private - thanks, will prepare myself not to plan anything for over Easter as that'd only give me a week. Would hate to jeopardise my chances x

I think everybody I've ever spoken to enjoyed a last holiday / christmas etc and at least 3 "condemned man ate a hearty meal" blowouts. Leave yourself at least 2 whole weeks for the prep diet as you wouldn't want to run the risk of open surgery or worst still, no surgery. I had my sleeve on 24 January and have just come of puree onto soft foods in the last few days. I've lost a lb shy of 3st from 10th Jan (the date I started my prep diet) and I am feeling soooo positive for a healthy future. I haven't found it the easy ride that lots of people have painwise etc but its manageable for the greater good that's for sure! Best of luck with your op and I'm sure you won't chicken out. Now it's all booked you can allow yourself the odd day dream about how your life will bee smaller...............that's enough to keep anyone focussed. Any questions, feel free to ask. Jo x

Wow Jojo - 3 stone weight loss since Jan is amazing, well done! Just reading about the weight losses with the sleeve is so encouraging. I've noticed from your profile that you've had a fobi ring also - I don't know much about that, but understand not that well practiced in the UK - was it much extra & can I ask why you decided to have it? x

I decided upon the fobi ring because I was concerned about regain longterm. After I did all my research, I discovered my preferred surgeon offered the fobi ring (which was developed and is widely used in Belgium and more and more in this country for revision surgery). I have been very big since early childhood (was never taught to stop eating) and consider myself a complete food addict so pre surgery I thought I might run the risk of trying to cheat or eating more when my sleeve inevitably stretches over time. This acts like a permanent gastic band if you like (although it will never slip etc and I only risk erosion if I stretch the sleeve around it and push my luck regularly etc) so there is always a restriction of the size of the original sleeve. It added £500 to the cost of my surgery as Mr Van den Bossche brings the fobi over from the chanel islands for his patients. I believe he is the only uk surgeon using the fobi at outset at the moment. Time will tell whether there are any long terms problems from this but I had to do something and I had to ensure it lasted more than jus a few years. I'm obviously trying my best to follow all the rules and am doing so without fault at the moment, but I'm only 6 weeks in. Fingers crossed this makes me a "normal" person and it turns out to be a largely unrequired insurance policy, but I'm glad its there. Good luck with your journey. I've not found it an easy one to be honest (emotionally more than physically - I've had no complications as such) but I think it can only get better!

Wow Jojo - 3 stone weight loss since Jan is amazing, well done! Just reading about the weight losses with the sleeve is so encouraging. I've noticed from your profile that you've had a fobi ring also - I don't know much about that, but understand not that well practiced in the UK - was it much extra & can I ask why you decided to have it? x

Back