• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

sleeve, can someone explain this to me and why

gingernutter
This is where they form a tube out of your stomach from the oesophagus to the small intestine and remove the rest of the stomach, this reduces the stomach capacity by about 80%
This is normally the first of 2 operations, the second being a bypass or D Switch
I have had this done and my team said if I lose enough on the sleeve then I may not need the second op
I hope this helps

it also means that like with the band you dont suffer from any malabsorption issues where as with the bypass and ds you do.
carole

Hi GN,
The gastric sleeve is a permanent procedure, reducing the amount that can be eaten at any one time. Weight loss tends to be slower at first because there is no malabsoption or re-routing of the intestines. I liked the fact that it is permanent, the dreaded dumping syndrome is virtually unheard of, and there are no malabsorption issues. Another advantage is the operation tends to have less complications and usually only takes about 45minutes to perform. It is fairly new as a stand alone procedure, but early statistics are showing a similar percentage of excess weight loss to the gastric bypass at two years. I'm thrilled with my sleeve!
love
Sandra x

for all the above reasons and the fact that its a lot less an invasive surgery is why i have opted for the sleeve,also seeing what weight loss can be achieved by mixman it seemed the best way for me and safest at my weight ,so thats the opp for me
regards steve

Thanks Guys.

Who would normally be a candidate?

I was in with a lady who had a sleeve but I didn't ask her why (too busy pinching myself)

A lot of hospitals and now offering the sleeve instead of the band for people who have a bmi of around 40ish.

I was offered a sleeve over a bypass as it was less invasive and I had a bmi in excess of 55. I have only had mine done for 4 days and feel perfectly fine. I also met a lady in the hospital who had hers done last November and has lost 6 stone since then.

i was 19st 10lbs when i started and 17st 10lbs when i had my opp.
i'm thrilled with it.

I've had a sleeve as part of a 1 stage DS. Apparently my surgeon leaves a very small sleeve as it stretches slightly over time - I'm 16 months out and mine doesn't seem to be stretching much yet ;)

It leaves both openings in the stomach which can prevent dumping but it's not unknown for sleevies to dump.

It's also not unknown for pepole who have a sleeve as a first part of a DS not to need the second part!! In that case it's often done on people with a high BMI - mine was 63 and I was borderline for a 2 stage op but was lucky.

HTH

Angela

My surgeon was just offering this to patients with high bmi's when I had my surgery but now he is offering it to people of low bmi's instead of the band as they are having a similar weight loss without the bother of fills, defills, erosion and slippage.

Back