• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve Diet

What are the guidelines post op regarding re introduction of food?
How many of you have still felt hungry ?
I was advised the sleeve gastrectomy removes the glands that secrete the hormones that stimulate hungry is this true ?

I had 3 weeks liquids, 3 weeks purée and then moving on to soft food. I stick to it like glue.
I still feel hunger at times but it's different and only takes a nite of food to stop. I know when I need to eat as I start to burp.

I had

2 weeks liquids only, then

4 weeks puréed food, then

6 weeks soft foods, and then

Then from week 12 'normal' foods... However, your hospital/provider will have their own guidelines, so please stick to them!

I'm now nearly one year post op and I can only eat around 200ml/250ml of food before I get full - in food terms this is:

- The meat on about 2 (or 3 some days) Nandos hot wings and maybe 3/4 spoons of rice.

- 2 weetabix mashed up with 50ml milk (my stomach doesn't handle dairy well now)

Basically any 'solid' foods fill me VERY quickly, as in I cannot eat any more for a few hours.

Foods that can turn to mulch (crisps/chocolate) I can eat (no more than 2 bags, so 50g) BUT I can't eat anything else after.

I do not EVER feel hungry - My only hunger is psychological and habit eating!! Which unfortunately, the surgery can not fix. However, the Sleeve does work! It makes me fill full and do not fill hungry.

Hope this helps!

Good luck with whatever you choose! xx

Helenangelfish love the name.
That really has helped Ty so much for taking the time to explain to me x
I have made my decision and more importantly have a scheduled date. Aug 12th.
I m going to Brussels for my Op as self funding and cost is so much less

You will be provided with a diet sheet.
I was on two weeks liquids, like consumme soup, thin soups, tea,milk etc.
I did two week on soft foods, like baby Apple pure consistency, then 2 weeks mashed food before normal food.
4 months out my eating is limited but my surgeon did warn that first 8 months th s is the honeymoon period. The sleeve does all the work. After this time I will have to ensure my portions do not increase.
I am hoping to use this honeymoon period to break habits.
Good luck to you and keep us updated.

Helenangelfish love the name. That really has helped Ty so much for taking the time to explain to me x I have made my decision and more importantly have a scheduled date. Aug 12th. I m going to Brussels for my Op as self funding and cost is so much less

Good luck :D I'm sure you'll do great xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

It reduces the amount of ghrelin in the stomach for a while, which in turn reduces appetite, it does not stop it altogether and levels raise again.

Also each provider has their own post-op diet recommendations for how long they suggest you stay on each stage.

Back